X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel

Has anyone taken advantage of the military travel? and if so how was your experience?

Re: Travel

Are you talking about Space-Avalible hops?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Are you talking about Space-Avalible hops?
      Yes mongoose that is what I was refering to. I hear that they are hard to get on, so I was just wondering about what the experince is like

Comment

As a reservist you can only fly unaccompanied, and only CONUS. How difficult it is is largely dependant on where you are flying from. Some places are streamlined with a very transparent process, where other bases are not as convienient.

I would say the biggest thing to remember is that you are on THEIR time scheudle, not yours. And obviously the military is subject to changes at virutally ANY time. I have heard several stories about servicemen getting stranded for several reasons.

The only time I've done it is when a local refueler is going to a set location with a plan to come back at another specified time. I make my travel plans AROUND the AF mission. I also give the crew chief my cell phone number to ensure that if things change they won't leave without me.

Always have the funds avalible to get back home on your own if you have to.

Comment

I flew from Germany to McGuire last year when a relative of mine passed and I had emergency leave. But it only works one way. But I had no problem getting back since I put myself and my family on standby and returned a week later and was near the top of the list.

The experience is grand. There was an MRAP on the plane and you can get out of the seats; use your sleeping bag and sleep on the floor (obviously it will depend on the plane). Sad part that some of the cargo in the back had the personal effects of a KIA in Afghanistan and I could just feel tingles go up and down my body. Then saw the soldier's photo in the Army Times the following week.

If a spouse is deployed; then you can really use the perk. But Mongoose is spot-on about reservists. You are like category IV.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

The Guard has far more benefits to pitch (post 9/11) which is why they do not promote Space-A anymore. As much as it stinks flying nowadays (with the ever increasing costs primarily) I would not invite the headache of getting involved with Space-A.

Comment

I have been looking at some Space-A travel to try and get to a couple of locations that provide the treatments I am looking for; and looked online and checked out what was posted on Air Mobility Command's website for SA. When I was stationed in Germany (back in the day) I flew down to Italy Space-A to see some family, and on the return flight some sailors were headed to Germany to see a concert in Frankfurt... but that was a diferent time, and I as Active Duty.

I also made a point to call each of the passenger terminals from possible start points and end points, and talk to one of the USAF contacts to get info on what routes come in and out and any word they would have in regards to possible timeframes - they were good about giving me the info (they are not travel agents, and you are not calling a civilian airline - so I never had the thought to act like some tourist planning a trip...)

As was previously mentioned - there are no guarantees... after all it based not only on a route, but if there is space available on the flight. There are few if any set schedules, and there is some paperwork you will need to get filled out and signed off by your Chain-of-Command, as well as registering with the terminal. Do not count on a round trip, but one of the USAF Teminal reps let me know that you have a better than average chance of getting onto a flight if you are heading to, or coming from, a major hub - like Charleston, SC for example.
              Last edited by LRSU_Dog; June 15th, 2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X