X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family ID cards

my family now has the red id cards but my spouse will be going to a 5 month long school in another state. I am aware that we get certain benefits because the active duty is longer than 31 days, but do we need to go and have the tan id cards issued? And are we allowed to go to the hospital on base?

Re: Family ID cards

They used to restrict the number of Commissary visits reservists could have every year to 14 or something, and we were issued some type of punch card back in the day. Someone chime in if this is wrong, but I don't think there is any good reason to re-issue a dependant ID for a TDY school. You will qualify for Tricare during his or her term on active duty for training. Is there a MTF within 50 miles of you?

Comment

Keep your red ID, and bring a copy of your husband's active duty orders with you. Otherwise, you'll need to get another red ID card at the end of his tour, and each time you get a new ID card it's a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        Keep your red ID, and bring a copy of your husband's active duty orders with you. Otherwise, you'll need to get another red ID card at the end of his tour, and each time you get a new ID card it's a hassle.
        Thanks for both of your responses! Glad I don't have to worry with getting new ID, but yes we are near a base. My husband is a a new 2LT and will be attending BOLC. He is prior active duty, but we are not very familiar with benefits in the NG yet. Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by maljay View Post
          my family now has the red id cards but my spouse will be going to a 5 month long school in another state. I am aware that we get certain benefits because the active duty is longer than 31 days, but do we need to go and have the tan id cards issued? And are we allowed to go to the hospital on base?
          By regulation, you should get a tan card made since the AD time is over 31 days. However, presenting a copy of his orders may suffice if you're using your card sparingly. (See AR 600-8-14, Table 15.1)

If you are using your card for medical care on base, they may require you to get the card anyway. From what I've read, it really depends on the installation and how picky they want to be; especially if you have a copy of the orders with you.

Comment

Working...
          X