Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foriegn language pay for NG officers (Arabic)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foriegn language pay for NG officers (Arabic)

I was told by my Co to take (DLAP?) test for the Arabic lang. and I would recieve $500 every drill and $1000 when I have active duty orders.
    He does not know exactly how the process work. can anyone tell how do I go about taking the test and the adminstration part of it Im sure it's going to be a long process.
    Thanks

Re: Foriegn language pay for NG officers (Arabic)

LTinfantry,

By your user name I am only assuming that you are an Infantry Officer in the Guard. If that is the case, then your position will most likely not be coded for any language proficiency requirement.

Also, I think you were referring to the DLAB-Defense Language Aptitude Battery, which is not focused on a specific language. It is a test the military services use to measure aptitude to learn a foreign language. To be rated in a specific language you would take the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) for that language.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; April 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LTinfantry View Post
      I was told by my Co to take (DLAP?) test for the Arabic lang. and I would recieve $500 every drill and $1000 when I have active duty orders.
      He does not know exactly how the process work. can anyone tell how do I go about taking the test and the adminstration part of it Im sure it's going to be a long process.
      Thanks
      Your officer position must be language coded, preferably in Arabic, in order to be eligible for FLPB.

Comment

Actually, surprisingly enough, you don't have to be in a language coded MOS. This is a little known fact by most, me included until recently. I only know this because of an IG investigation that happened. A soldier is now receiving language pay monthly for being fluent in korean (i think), but is not in an mos or position that requires it. As long as the language is on the list and the soldier passes the required tests, he gets the monthly pay.

(at least i know this is the case for enlisted)

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
          Actually, surprisingly enough, you don't have to be in a language coded MOS. This is a little known fact by most, me included until recently.
          I am not doubting you. Things change, I am going to do some research on this

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            I am not doubting you. Things change, I am going to do some research on this
            lol, if I didn't have first hand knowledge of this I would doubt someone posting that on the internet too.

Comment

RSP NCO you were correct.

Here are the requirements from AR 11-6

1. Enlisted Soldiers must hold an MOS to be eligible.
              2. Officers must have completed WOBC/OBC or be branch qualified to be eligible.
              (b) Not be required to have performed duty or received base pay in the month for which they are entitled to FLPB
              and are no longer subject to the 1/30th rule.
              (c) Be certified proficient within the past 12 months in a foreign language for which the Army has a critical need as
              determined by the ASA (M&RA).

The effective date of FLPB payments will be the date of the DLPT, DLRPT, or OPI.

The amount of FLPB may not exceed $400 per month for a single language, and $1,000 per month for a
              combination of languages.
              The language must be on an approved DOD Language list. The list is posted on the Linguist Knowledge
              Network on the Army Knowledge Online Web site (AKO)

To qualify for FLPB in Arabic dialects AE, AP, and DG, Soldiers must take the Modern Standard Arabic
              reading test (AD) (DLPT5) and the listening test for the dialect (DLPT5). Soldiers can only receive FLPB for one
              Arabic dialect (AD, AE, AP, DG, or DH). Soldiers must complete the listening and reading tests within 30 days in
              order to qualify for FLPB.

The FLPB payment level (see table 6–2) is determined by proficiency ratings (see table 6–2) and language
              payment list.
              Soldiers will be paid depending on which payment list the language is listed, except for those languages
              identified as dominant languages for which no entitlement will be paid.

Payment levels
              DLPT Score Payment list “A”
              2/2 = $200
              2+/2+ = $300
              3/3 = $400

Comment

Very helpful thread! Thanks!

Do you normally coordinate the DLPT test through your State Education Officer?

Comment

It depends on whether or not you live near an active duty base. I have been able to coordinate it through the education office on local bases. Soldiers just need a 4187 signed by the commander to take the test.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                    RSP NCO you were correct.
                    I'm pretty sure that should be in everyone's signature

Comment

The level of proficiency required to earn the language pay is generally only attained by a long period of immersion. I fear that some Soldiers will be disappointed when they find out that their language proficiency isn't as great as they think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                        The level of proficiency required to earn the language pay is generally only attained by a long period of immersion. I fear that some Soldiers will be disappointed when they find out that their language proficiency isn't as great as they think it is.
                        I have seen native speakers that actually don't have the 3/3 level of proficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                          This statement is soooo true. Prepare to be disappointed.

As the pay scale above indicates, if you don't rate at minimum 2/2, you will not be eligible for any FLPB. Also, as for dominant languages such as Spanish. The only way to receive FLPB, even if you are 3/3, is to have your current billet language coded for that specific language.

Comment

Thank you for all the great information you guys put in here,

I have a question to ask, which is I took a DLPT and got 3/3 on Korean and I gave my result to S1, but he doesn't have any idea what to do with that, so he talked to people around but he couldn't figure it out so I didn't get the money. My question is since I know I can get the FLPB, how can I guide him to who do talk to and what form he have to go through?

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by dkweonlee View Post
                              Thank you for all the great information you guys put in here,

I have a question to ask, which is I took a DLPT and got 3/3 on Korean and I gave my result to S1, but he doesn't have any idea what to do with that, so he talked to people around but he couldn't figure it out so I didn't get the money. My question is since I know I can get the FLPB, how can I guide him to who do talk to and what form he have to go through?

Thank you for your time.
                              Tell him to get on S1Net, and find the latest ALARACT or MILPER message that addresses this topic. If he doesn't know what S1Net is, then he's not the best S1 he could be.

Comment

Working...
                              X