Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incentives?

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
    Here is kind of an odd question. If someone already has SLRP in their contract, uses it, accrues more student loans in the meantime that the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance wouldn't cover, would you be able to get SLRP again in your reenlistment contract to take care of the additional loans?
    In a word, yes. You would have to re-enlist for an additional 6x2 year contract. Here's a link to the SLRP page: bit.ly/MbUxf5
    Last edited by RyCass; June 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cal_cav_19D View Post
      I'm kinda trying to find out more about somethings, and will ask my recruiter more too. Ive enlisted as a 19D, 6X2, and I ask these questions only because I have a family to take care of, its not my sole motivation for enlisting and being a 19D-hopeful. Questions are:

How can I find all the incentives and benefits for the CA ARNG? What benefits should I have for contracting 6X2? (as oppose 3X5)
      Should I have received SLRP for 19D
      How can I receive any education benefits? When am I eligible? And start that, do I go to my recruiter or my unit commander?
      Last, how so can you change MOS? Do you have to wait 6 years?

Any Help would be appreciated. Hooah.
      To answer your questions:

1) Have you seen the benefits section on the National Guard website? If you're looking for a list of benefits, that's a great place to start. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/Ly6mha.
      2) You'll need to verify with your local recruiter to find out specifically if 19D qualifies in your state. For more information on the program, check out this link: bit.ly/MbUxf5.
      3) To receive your education benefits (i.e. Tuition Assistance), you'll need to initiate the process by filling out the appropriate forms. You can receive your Federal TA and GI Bill once you complete your initial training. I would highly recommend getting more details from your local recruiter as each state has their own policies when it comes to education. In general, though, most Soldiers begin utilizing their education benefits after they've completed their training and will receive assistance through their unit's Readiness NCO. So, no worries! You'll have help if you need it.
      4) In general, you can change your MOS, or re-class, although there may be stipulations for doing so. Keep in mind, too, that if you accept a bonus, you are likely required to maintain your MOS for a period of time before you can change. Again, you're unit will be able to give you more specifics.

Hope this helps!
      Last edited by RyCass; June 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected TA and GI Bill reference

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        In a word, yes. You would have to re-enlist for an additional 6x2 year contract. Here's a link to the SLRP page: bit.ly/MbUxf5
        Great thank you and thanks for the link. With the $4500/per fiscal year cap from tuition assistance there are good chances I'm going to need to apply for financial aid for my program.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
          Great thank you and thanks for the link. With the $4500/per fiscal year cap from tuition assistance there are good chances I'm going to need to apply for financial aid for my program.
          Definitely! You may qualify for grants to help cover the extra cost. Good luck with your school!

Comment

RyCass,

You have it backwards.

Soldiers qualify for Federal TA throught GoArmyEd as soon as they swear in. GI Bill (Chap 1606) eligibility starts the day after the Soldier completes AIT.

OP,
            You should check out cool.army.mil - search for 91B credentials.
            You can use your GI Bill to pay for ASE testing fees and you may be able to get 10 promotion points for each test you pass, up to 5 tests (if your state's enlisted branch allows it).

Best,
            91YJ
            Last edited by 91YJ; June 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91YJ View Post
              RyCass,

You have it backwards.

Soldiers qualify for Federal TA throught GoArmyEd as soon as they swear in. GI Bill (Chap 1606) eligibility starts the day after the Soldier completes AIT.

OP,
              You should check out cool.army.mil - search for 91B credentials.
              You can use your GI Bill to pay for ASE testing fees and you may be able to get 10 promotion points for each test you pass, up to 5 tests (if your state's enlisted branch allows it).

Best,
              91YJ
              Thanks for pointing that out! I'll fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Basically, from all that you mentioned, its common sense. But thanks. Has been helpful, and I just need to ask him. By the way, yes, I think for the TA, you may also need to either show you are in a college program or taking college units to someone at some point.

Thanks for the Help.

Comment

Remember that if you meet all the eligibility requirements for the SLRP, it must be written in your enlistment contract. It will be an addendum.

General Eligibility
                  1. The applicant must have one or more qualifying and disbursed Title IV Federal loan(s) not in default at the time of enlistment or reenlistment/extension.
                  2. The loan(s) must be listed on the Department of Education National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
                  3. State and private loans are not eligible for repayment under the SLRP program.
                  4. Loans must have been disbursed prior to the date of enlistment in order to be eligible and must be at least 1-year old on anniversary date of the contract (unless adjusted for periods of authorized non-availability). Loans disbursed after the date of enlistment are not eligible for repayment unless the Soldier is reenlisting/extending for a period of not less than 6 years in the ARNG without a break in service from the original SLRP contract start date.

Non-Prior Service Applicants must meet the following requirements:
                  -6x2 or 8x0 term of service
                  -AFQT 50 or more
                  -Tier I education level
                  -E-4 and below
                  -Critical Skill MOS in para/line in Tiers 1 thru 6
                  -Valid AUVS vacancy in REQUEST in MTOE or Medical TDA unit
                  -Applicant must not be enlisting in the RFP, Active First, GED Plus Program, or Patriot Academy

Your recruiter will be able to go over the details of the Selective Reserve Incentives Program (SRIP).
                  Last edited by B.Wood; June 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X