X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leave and emergency leave while deployed

im currently deployed to kosovo with the 3/108 and if anyone keeps up with army news yes its the unit with the hazing investigation.but anyway i just came back from emergency leave a few weeks ago and before i left they told me i would still get my regular leave which comes up in a few weeks. there talking about not even letting me get it anymore and i was woundering if they can even do that.i know were given 30 days for the year and emergency leave is nowhere near a vacation. i looked online and couldnt find anything out about this so i figured id ask the guys that have been deployed before.

Re: leave and emergency leave while deployed

Yes, commanders can restrict the use of leave, particularly when mission constrains the need for available personnel. While emergency leave isn't the same as regular leave, the mission still continued without you, and someone else had to do your work. I bet if the roles were reversed, you'd be tempted to start kvetching about someone who got to take leave twice.

Reference: AR 600-8-10

Comment

yeah and if i was in afghanistan or somewhere that mattered then it would be understandable but we dont do anything here and nobody had to do my work if you want to call it that. like i said emergency leave isnt for fun like regular leave is. but weve had people go on leave then emergency leave so its a double standard.i just got my leave brief today and he said he doesnt think they can do that they can just push it back to another date cuz there has to be 85% boots on the ground.

Comment

If you are worried about losing your days completley that is a non issue. You will burn any days you have left on the back side of your orders upon redeployment..kind of a quasi terminal leave situation. If you are concerned about not getting R&R leave, then just realize that is sometimes how it goes. Many soldiers who have been around a while, including myself, have had leave cancelled or moved on occasion. It isn't fun when it happens, but it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by r4d4r View Post
          there has to be 85% boots on the ground.
          Looking at it from your commander's view, that 85% can be hard to manage.

That 85% maybe based on his MTOE number and not what he actually brought. So if he he went short, that will cut into the amount he can have on leave. That 85% counts regular/emergency leave, it could count people on quarters, if you're allowed to attend a military school ect.

Comment

I started a nine-month deployment to Afghanistan and those on nine-months do not get R&R. Like LTC Ritchie said, CDR's discretion. My commander in my last unit did not take any leave days for me when I had emergency leave and I was always grateful for that. And it was a grandparent that passed.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              If you are worried about losing your days completley that is a non issue. You will burn any days you have left on the back side of your orders upon redeployment..kind of a quasi terminal leave situation. If you are concerned about not getting R&R leave, then just realize that is sometimes how it goes. Many soldiers who have been around a while, including myself, have had leave cancelled or moved on occasion. It isn't fun when it happens, but it happens.
              In 2010 R&R days were no longer charged for SMs in deployed areas. I dont know if it was just for combat zone deployed areas.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                In 2010 R&R days were no longer charged for SMs in deployed areas. I dont know if it was just for combat zone deployed areas.
                It is just for combat areas. Actually, I think it is only for Afghanistan and Iraq to be more specific...combat areas can be kind of the "gray" area. I am in Kuwait, and we still get charged here.

Comment

Working...
                X