X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Concerning BAH Regulations with Married Members

I am married and my wife and I are both in RSP and excited about joining the National Guard together. We have no children. We both ship out in the same month but I will be getting back sooner.

I thought that any married National Guard member received a BAH while in training or other active duty predicaments. So if we both are married NG members (coincidentally to each other), would we EACH get a BAH while in Basic and AIT, for a cumulative two BAH's? Our recruiter tells us that one of us will receive a BAH w/ dependents and the other will receive a BAH w/o dependents. Is this true?

Whether this is accurate or not, please provide an explanation. Thank you so much!

Re: Question Concerning BAH Regulations with Married Members

Well, I know dual married couples and one gets full (the one with the senior rank gets it since its more) and the other one gets the single rate.

Research your info here.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/reference.cfm

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqbah.cfm

27. My spouse and I are both Service members and we have two
    children. Why is it that only one of us can collect full rate BAH and the other
    single BAH? Why couldn't we each claim one child and collect full with-dependent
    BAH?

The rules governing allocation of dependents for BAH are specified in the
    JFTR, Chapter 10. The rules reflect the law and the policy of the Services.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irelandaj359 View Post
      Our recruiter tells us that one of us will receive a BAH w/ dependents and the other will receive a BAH w/o dependents. Is this true?
      Your recruiter's explanantion and CitySlick's above is only true if you have children or other legal dependants. If it is a dual military couple, both on active duty with no other dependants each person with receive BAH at the single rate.

If you have a child down the road, the senior ranking person will receive BAH at the with dependant rate, and the other will stay at the single rate.

.....And tell your recruiter that the guy on the internet said to stop putting out bad information.
      Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; February 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Your recruiter's explanantion and CitySlick's above is only true if you have children or other legal dependants. If it is a dual military couple, both on active duty with no other dependants each person with receive BAH at the single rate.

If you have a child down the road, the senior ranking person will receive BAH at the with dependant rate, and the other will stay at the single rate.
        http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Doc...TR(Ch1-10).pdf

Paralegal clarify page 731 line 17 for me please?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker
          Why when I quote, it needs mod approval?

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Doc...TR(Ch1-10).pdf

I said for ParalegalNCO to clarify page 731 line 17 (or if 18 applicable to the OP) for me.
          Im not sure exactly what to clarify, but if you are talking about my post regarding that line you have to look at the first two criteria "has dependants OTHER THAN spouse". So, basically a kid.

The situation described by OP is rule 1.

Comment

Im not sure exactly what to clarify, but if you are talking about my post regarding that line you have to look at the first two criteria "has dependants OTHER THAN spouse". So, basically a kid.

The situation described by OP is rule 1.
            You are right. Line 1. about 200 bucks more a month (if they are both E-1s) than with my calculations.

Hey, I take the pay over being right
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              You are right. Line 1. about 200 bucks more a month (if they are both E-1s) than with my calculations.

Hey, I take the pay over being right
              Married soldiers in NYC, DC, San Diego, and Hawaii must love these rules. That would be about 6,000 a month in BAH alone for two soldiers in NYC at a NCO or higher rank. That's crazy.

Comment

Married soldiers in NYC, DC, San Diego, and Hawaii must love these rules. That would be about 6,000 a month in BAH alone for two soldiers in NYC at a NCO or higher rank. That's crazy.
                Do you think anyone is abusing the system?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  Do you think anyone is abusing the system?
                  We court martial people all the time for BAH fraud.

Comment

Working...
                  X