X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid Bonus

My three year anniversary was in July and I hadn't received the second half of my bonus. I just received a letter saying that due to an "administrative error" that was no fault of my own, my incentive agreement is invalid and no more payments would be made and recoupment will begin if I do not submit a formal request for an exception to policy within 45 days. Also included was a form letter for me to sign to request the exception. The letter indicated that I could write my own request, and my question is whether writing a personal request would have any benefit over submitting the form letter?

As a side note, there was a delay with receiving the first half of my bonus and I had to contact an incentives NCO at my state HQ. She indicated that there were changes made the day I enlisted that the MEPS personnel were not aware of which made my bonus invalid. She said she contacted NGB on my behalf and got approval for payment. Unless this is a different error for the second half of my bonus, I wouldn't have expected the same problem after approval was already given by NGB once. I still have the emails from that NCO who helped me with the first payment

Re: Invalid Bonus

Well, I say screw writing and emails and get someone on the phone about this.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. You should write a request as well as fill out the form. Once you submit this, an ETP process will be started and, essentially, your request is bounced around between your state's inentives office, the Army G1, the NGB, DFAS, and finally your payment. For me, they sent me an email to my AKO and explained in detail what I needed to do and how long it would take. I should've got the second half of my bonus in December but now it's looking like I'm going to have to wait until May. Keep at it and call your state's incentives office if you need help.

Comment

My office sent you that packet.

Bottom line: Your bonus requires and Exception to Policy and YOU need to be the one to initiate the Exception to Policy Request. The form letter you recieved has the exact wording that NGB is looking for. Send it back to us & we'll knock it out.

You can call me directly if you wish - I'll PM you my direct phone.

Comment

Originally posted by 91YJ View Post

Bottom line: Your bonus requires and Exception to Policy and YOU need to be the one to initiate the Exception to Policy Request. The form letter you recieved has the exact wording that NGB is looking for. Send it back to us & we'll knock it out.

Direct any formal inquiries, including personal identifying information, only to your chain of command or the contacts listed on the letter from the ARNG. Do not disclose personal information to anyone you meet on this (or any) public forum.

Comment

Originally posted by speed_of_dark View Post
            My three year anniversary was in July and I hadn't received the second half of my bonus. I just received a letter saying that due to an "administrative error" that was no fault of my own, my incentive agreement is invalid and no more payments would be made and recoupment will begin if I do not submit a formal request for an exception to policy within 45 days. Also included was a form letter for me to sign to request the exception. The letter indicated that I could write my own request, and my question is whether writing a personal request would have any benefit over submitting the form letter?

As a side note, there was a delay with receiving the first half of my bonus and I had to contact an incentives NCO at my state HQ. She indicated that there were changes made the day I enlisted that the MEPS personnel were not aware of which made my bonus invalid. She said she contacted NGB on my behalf and got approval for payment. Unless this is a different error for the second half of my bonus, I wouldn't have expected the same problem after approval was already given by NGB once. I still have the emails from that NCO who helped me with the first payment
            There was a Issue that came up with some bonuses, and most are specific to certain States. NGB is well aware of this and has been on their radar for at least a year now I do believe. (first I heard about it was from NGB in October.) Please just follow the directions on the letter as well as your States "Incentive Manager"aka "Bonus Control" As well as follow LTC Ritchie's advise below.

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            Direct any formal inquiries, including personal identifying information, only to your chain of command or the contacts listed on the letter from the ARNG. Do not disclose personal information to anyone you meet on this (or any) public forum.
            Originally posted by 91YJ View Post

As I am sure your intention was for good. LTC above is right on this. If it is indeed your office that sent the letter then the Soldier will eventually get in contact with you. This is nothing against you nor your position. It is purely that we have had issues on this forum before with people giving misinformation as well as pretending to be someone they are not. Please do understand the reasoning.

Comment

I mailed the form letter. 91YJ PM'd me official contact info and I was able to verify the credentials through our state's intranet before making contact. It looks as though it's going to be a long process (several months), but I'm hopeful to receive my bonus. I'll try and remember to update this post with the results and any other helpful information I gather.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem kinda jacked up that the NGB can obligate itself to paying a soldier a bonus, but when there was an error on their part, they can break the contract and put the burden of an exception to policy on the soldier.

Maybe my way of viewing it is skewed but if the state or the NGB messed up, they should honor it because they were contractually obligated, since it's their fault.

If a soldier enlisted and contractually obligates himself to service the soldier cant send the NGB or state a letter asking the service to get him an exception to policy as to why he should continue to honor that contract...

Comment

There may be legalities involved which prevent this.

Comment

My husband is going through the same thing. His three year annv. was Nov. 14th. We faxed over the 'exception to policy' paperwork Dec. 13th? Does anyone know how long this really takes? Ive also been told "several months"..but that just isnt something i want to hear =)..I want a number, 3months 4 etc. ? It is getting horribly frustrating!

Comment

My bonus just posted to my account today. I sent the Exception to Policy form letter at the beginning of February, so for me it took about 4 months from the day I mailed the letter until the bonus hit my account. From what I was told, it depends on how many requests your state has to process before it's sent to NGB and then it's up to them on how quickly things are processed. I imagine the time frame is different for the individual.

I hope that this thread provides some insight to others facing the issue of a late/invalid bonus. It took about 5 months after my three year anniversary to receive the invalid bonus letter. The "administrative error" mentioned in the letter, I was later told, was that I was authorized to get a non-critical skill bonus but I signed for a critical skill (and I thought all MOSs were considered critical at the time I enlisted). I know it seems a little off that I had to request an exception after the Army's error, but that's the way it is and I'm glad things have worked out in the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X