X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Benefits/ New Car

I'm 17 years old and enlisted. I'm in the Mass. National Guard in the RSP. I ship out for basic on June 12th. My car is in absolute shambles. I've spent over $4,000 on repairs since I've owned it. Now the transmission's going and neither I or my parents can afford to fix it. My parents don't have the finances to take out a loan and I am legally not old enough. Is there any programs or benefits that I can apply for that could help me get a car? Does the army offer some sort of loan service? Would my military involvement make a bank more likely to give me a loan?

Thanks for helping! All advice is welcome!
    -Herlihy

Re: Army Benefits/ New Car

Not as such.

Talk to your recruiter about bonuses for helping him find new recruits ("G-RAP"). Be advised, the money won't come quickly, since it only pays after your recruit completes Basic Training.

Comment

Better learn how to ride a bicycle.

Comment

hahaha xD

Comment

USAA has a car buying service that can potentially shave a few thousand or more off a new car. They can also give you credit and some of the best insurance. Otherwise, to answer your question.....no not really.

Comment

Some car companies were giving rebates for service members but I don't know if any still are.

Comment

Your age poses a risk to lenders as well. I suggest uses your relative as a co-signer. USAA is re****ble as well as Navy Fed or anying banking or credit institution that caters to military members.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                Your age poses a risk to lenders as well. I suggest uses your relative as a co-signer. USAA is re****ble as well as Navy Fed or anying banking or credit institution that caters to military members.
                We'll the problem is my parents aren't financially able to co-sign. They're credit isn't good enough. I was hoping maybe if I said that I was in the military they'd would be a little lenient and offer me some sort of no credit loan

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  Some car companies were giving rebates for service members but I don't know if any still are.
                  I'm more so looking into a used car. Not a cheap one, but one that will last more than 6 months, so I'd be mainly using local dealers and I'm not sure any of them do

Comment

Mostly GM/domestic cars are giving rebates. But they are something like $500. So it's nothing to get excited about. Maybe take a look on craigslist or ask through your friend/family circles if anyone is selling a car. Keep in mind, if you finance...you will be responsible for FULL insurance coverage. Which, at your age...will ***** of course.
                    Last edited by SteveLord; January 28th, 2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Post 11 is a spammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        Post 11 is a spammer.
                        You're post #11.

Well, looks like we have to ban him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                          You're post #11.

Well, looks like we have to ban him.
                          haha. I became post 11 after you got rid of that post. Nice.

Comment

Don't buy a new car until you get back from BCT and AIT. If you're smart, you won't blow all your money on backpacks and flat-billed hats at AIT, so maybe you can save up enough to get a decent car when you get back.

Comment

Working...
                            X