X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search function

Not sure if this was mentioned but it would be nice if our search strings could be smaller.. For example, I can't search directly for 09S, 88M, AIT etc..becuase there not enough digits.

It would be helpful to be able to search for 3 digit set of numbers or letters especially since so many military terms are three letter acronyms.

Not complaining at all as the site is a great resource but this would add a little bit to it.

Thanks

Re: Search function

Originally posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned but it would be nice if our search strings could be smaller.. For example, I can't search directly for 09S, 88M, AIT etc..becuase there not enough digits.

It would be helpful to be able to search for 3 digit set of numbers or letters especially since so many military terms are three letter acronyms.

Not complaining at all as the site is a great resource but this would add a little bit to it.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting your concern! I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but I'll pass it along.

Comment

This would be nice, but it may be set within the forum code itself. Just a guess considering this is usually the case in nearly every forum. If you did a search for 09S or 11B your results would likely be too big to make sense of. Unless you went by thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        This would be nice, but it may be set within the forum code itself. Just a guess considering this is usually the case in nearly every forum. If you did a search for 09S or 11B your results would likely be too big to make sense of. Unless you went by thread title.
        That would be my guess as well. Most forums don't develop their own management system by starting from scratch. If admins like yourself don't have access to modify search engine parameters, then either an admin with higher permissions may or the source code may need to be modified. The downside is that 3 character searches tend to consume much more resources depending on the algorithm used by a search engine.

Comment

On another forum I am a member of there are two search functions, the one that searches directly from the forum (like the one in the upper right corner) and another that searches the forum using Google. The later of which essentially uses the good old site:insertforumname.com search technique through google. Maybe we can float the idea of two search functions? This way someone can search a 3 letter word, phrase or acronym from this site for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
            On another forum I am a member of there are two search functions, the one that searches directly from the forum (like the one in the upper right corner) and another that searches the forum using Google. The later of which essentially uses the good old site:insertforumname.com search technique through google. Maybe we can float the idea of two search functions? This way someone can search a 3 letter word, phrase or acronym from this site for answers.
            Does this search methodology rely on "cached" versions of the site? If so, then searching for keywords in a "recent" context may not find the results you want. (If I'm not mistaken, using "site: (url)" searches through an indexed version of this site.)

Comment

I dont know why i hadnt thought of that. The site search definitely works and yes it would rely on it being indexed by google. I would imagine a site like this with the volume of activity would be crawled and indexed quite often. So its not perfect but a good workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                Does this search methodology rely on "cached" versions of the site? If so, then searching for keywords in a "recent" context may not find the results you want. (If I'm not mistaken, using "site: (url)" searches through an indexed version of this site.)
                I'm pretty certain you are correct.

Originally posted by Peter Griffin View Post
                I dont know why i hadnt thought of that. The site search definitely works and yes it would rely on it being indexed by google. I would imagine a site like this with the volume of activity would be crawled and indexed quite often. So its not perfect but a good workaround.
                But like Peter pointed out it gets indexed quite often. For example:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&o...w=1366&bih=673

Most of the search results on the first page are within 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                X