• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Closures

FORUM FYI

http://www.army.mil/article/112575/A...orps_programs/

Re: ROTC Closures

Surprised that big schools like Arkansas State and Southern Miss would close down their programs.

Comment

You think it is by choice? It's Army directed. I can guarantee you none of those schools want to lose their programs.

Comment

Budget cuts?

Comment

First on the chopping block should have been all the ECP (early commissioning program) schools, followed by Rowan University. Consistently poor products.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
            First on the chopping block should have been all the ECP (early commissioning program) schools, followed by Rowan University. Consistently poor products.
            But if they are producing officers for states like New Jersey, then they are "par".

Comment

Wow Sirs, don't care too much for "Durty Jerzee"?

Comment

No kidding... I have not met very many good officers from ECPs.

Comment

Would anyone mind explaining the who, what, where?

Comment

ECPs or Early Commissioning Programs, are a collective of 5 Military Junior Colleges (used to be 6) scattered across the USA. They provide an AA degree and commission to their graduates, with the stipulation that they have to obtain a BA/BS within 36 months. There are a host of issues with these schools and their programs. In addition, their graduates can *only* go NG/USAR units....

Comment

Forgive me TxIntel, but I may apply as GMC is not too far from me, lol.

Comment

If you are prior service, I think you will be fine. It's the one who come out of there at 19 yrs of age as 2LTs that have issues.

There are other issues but the list is pretty long. Main thing is that you have 36 months to finish you degree, go to BOLC and drill... all while being non-deployable. A lot of units don't take too kindly to that.

Comment

I can understand not being deployable and units not liking that, but they know you have to go to BOLC anyway so what's the issue? If you do traditional OCS you're in the same boat except you have til O-3 to get your BA/BS, which might take longer than 36 months....

Comment

The issue is that you have a 2LT that you can't do anything with for 3 years. BOLC only lasts for 4-8 months. For 3 years, the 2LT (and eventually 1LT) can't deploy or do anything for any extended amount of time because of school. And what happens if school runs long or the fail a semester?

Plus, the quality of the training program has been brought into doubt, especially at LDAC (which ECPs go to as well).

The program is not bad if you are prior service and take it with a grain of salt. Just be aware, there is a nasty taste in the mouth about ECPs and states do not have to accept you into their ranks.

Comment

One of those schools, University of North Alabama, is only a little over an hour from me. I had several friends from high school go through that program and commission.

It's also been around for a while. My grandfather [MSG(R)] was assigned to UNA as an NCO Instructor back in the 70s while Vietnam was still going on. He'd already done two tours himself with SF, and decided doing some teaching would be best before he retired.

One of my co-workers has a daughter who just finished up LDAC over there and will commission this coming spring. Guess she'll be one of the last ones. It's a shame to see it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X