X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Army helping flood victims

I am watching the news now about the floods in Colorado and its good to see that active duty soldiers from 4th Infantry Division from Fort Carson helping people. Bottom line is that Federal Troops are doing missions that are assumed to be carried by NG troops. Its is on CBS News and here is the article.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...counted-people

I look at the caption here

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/ar...shipId=5415322

This photo released by the U.S. Army, Staff Sgt. Jose Pantoja, a flight medicwith the Colorado Air National Guard, carries an unidentified evacuee up a hoist onto a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during flood rescue and recoveryoperations near Boulder, Colo., Monday, Sept. 16, 2013. Military helicopter crews have flown hundreds of missions up the treacherous canyons of the Rocky Mountains to rescue about 2,000 people, and counting, and drop food and water supplies to stranded hamlets. (U.S. Army | Sgt. Jonathan Thibault via Associated Press)

Baffling lol

But on the front page it says this The number of people unaccounted for in the Colorado floods was ... SFC Keith Bart helps a woman who was winched up to a helicopter flown by members of 2-4 GSAB 4th Infantry Division based in Ft. Carson in near Jamestown, ... More than 6,400 Colorado flood victims have applied forhelp from the ...
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 17th, 2013, 07:42 PM.

Re: US Army helping flood victims

My unit in Wyoming got stand-by orders to help out with floods. The 30 or so of us that volunteered from my Arty unit stood on stand-by for a week, and I assume it's over now for us. Another unit from my brigade, Charlie-Med, sent (I think) 6 UH-60s and a decent amount of medics to help out. At least someone got to go down and do something.

Comment

Why does it matter which component is doing the mission? Soldiers are helping civilians in a time of need.

While that is historically a NG function, it's nice to see some A/D troops helping out...

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
        Why does it matter which component is doing the mission? Soldiers are helping civilians in a time of need.
        It doesn't matter.

While that is historically a NG function, it's nice to see some A/D troops helping out...
        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post

I agree with you. As long as they are US troops helping out than it doesn't matter at all.

Comment

Before this becomes a broken record, the purpose of the post was just to show that AD Soldiers can perform in roles that the NG usually assumes. Before a person looks at the Guard and thinks, "I just want to join the Guard because they get involved in their state's emergency and disasters", history as shown (even presently) that those missions can be performed by active duty folks. Even though this is a NG recruiting website; I just like to point out the facts and prevent tunnel vision on decision making.

Comment

It's all the same Army , Active, Guard and Reserve, Hooah! and Good job to all soldiers that aided our citizens in Colorado.

Comment

Working...
              X