Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Force Reduction

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Force Reduction

    Article is listed here.

    The war is not over until some more time so I did not agree with Mr. Perez's comment.

    http://www.stripes.com/news/us/fort-...-army-1.220540

  • #2
    Re: More Force Reduction

    BTW, Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: More Force Reduction

      "It is no mad rush to try to get out because they are tired of being in military," he said. "Most of these guys seem to be happy about what they are doing, because they are serving their country and doing a good deed." --Donny Philips
      Why does his comment sound like a line from "Total Recall"?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: More Force Reduction

        I think it's more because there's no job stability out here. I saw a video on a AD SSG who got out and became a warehouse worker. Of course she has Post 9/11 to depend on for quite some time but even still, I'm not so sure that's what most people have in mind.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: More Force Reduction

          Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
          I think it's more because there's no job stability out here. I saw a video on a AD SSG who got out and became a warehouse worker. Of course she has Post 9/11 to depend on for quite some time but even still, I'm not so sure that's what most people have in mind.

          Actually, what soldier would want to voice their true opinion about how they really feel whether deployed or returning stateside? In all seriousness, to a great degree, the military punishes soldiers that tell the truth in these questionaires. Feeling down? Maybe it's time for you to be separated and put on the disability list where you'll have to wait till' after you're dead to get any benefits. Right--Don't worry, be happy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: More Force Reduction

            Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            Actually, what soldier would want to voice their true opinion about how they really feel whether deployed or returning stateside? In all seriousness, to a great degree, the military punishes soldiers that tell the truth in these questionaires. Feeling down? Maybe it's time for you to be separated and put on the disability list where you'll have to wait till' after you're dead to get any benefits. Right--Don't worry, be happy.
            Really? You're basing this whole premise on...???

            Soldiers get out just to get out. They did thier stint and now want to move on. I got out after 5 years as I did my time and wanted to go to school.
            Last edited by RedLeg; May 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: More Force Reduction

              Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              Actually, what soldier would want to voice their true opinion about how they really feel whether deployed or returning stateside? In all seriousness, to a great degree, the military punishes soldiers that tell the truth in these questionaires. Feeling down? Maybe it's time for you to be separated and put on the disability list where you'll have to wait till' after you're dead to get any benefits. Right--Don't worry, be happy.
              +1.

              The Army fails on all front in dealing with mental health and the like.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: More Force Reduction

                Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                Really? You're basing this whole premise on...???

                Soldiers get out just to get out. They did thier stint and now want to move on. I got out after 5 years as I did my time and wanted to go to school.
                You are 100% correct, sir.

                Nevertheless, after having conducted research on this issue when I was pursuing a doctorate in Organizational Leadership several years ago, the results yeilded some interesting information, most of which I will truncate in the interest of time:

                Veterans waiting for benefits skyrocket
                http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...kyrockets.html

                20,000 vets die waiting for benefits
                http://www.koat.com/news/Nearly-20-0...p/-/index.html

                Stigma: A Major Deterrent for Military Psychological Health Care
                http://www.usmedicine.com/articles/s...alth-care.html

                Fearing for their careers, many service members keep quiet about their mental health problems—and their silent suffering is taking a toll on our military readiness. In response, the Defense Department has begun fighting stigma on several fronts.
                http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/06/stigma-war.aspx


                A number of veterans fulfill their contract and move on for a number of reasons--One of which you've stated. A number of veterans fulfill their contractural obligations in order to recieve benefits, pad their resumes, repay student loans, etc. A number of veterans may indeed have a positive sense of accomplishment when they return to civilian life. However, a number of veterans as well as active and reserve component soldiers are aware of how the big Army has treated soldiers in the past, and are wary of interviews, surveys and questionaires constructed to 'weed out the weak' so to speak.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: More Force Reduction

                  I tell the Army how I feel on those surveys and I have yet been dragged away to some far away place and punished.


                  help me...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: More Force Reduction

                    I'll just say this and let the topic go: There are over 700,000 soldiers in the active/reserve component of the Army alone--not counting the rest of the Armed Forces. Having one or even one hundred soldiers answer truthfully in an interview or on a survey or questionaire without repercussions doesn't account for the ones that are acted upon--Whether the end result is improper diagnosis, improper treatment, neglect or discharge. Not to mention the ones that have actively sought out assistance only to be given the run-around by the VA. Do I have a negative view of the Army? No. I'm a big boy--I had my big boy pants on when I enlisted. I accept the risks that come with the rewards of placing my life in the hands of the U.S. government and being a soldier--it's in my blood. That being said, I'll leave you with this:

                    At the height of the Iraq war, the Army routinely fired hundreds of soldiers for having a personality disorder when they were more likely suffering from the traumatic stresses of war, discharge data suggest.
                    Last edited by VICEROY06; May 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: More Force Reduction

                      However, a number of veterans as well as active and reserve component soldiers are aware of how the big Army has treated soldiers in the past, and are wary of interviews, surveys and questionaires constructed to 'weed out the weak' so to speak.
                      Again, you're spouting BS you've heard around the armory without anything to back it up. The bad part is someday you'll be an officer someday and say this crap in front of Soldiers who'll take you serious.

                      You have no expereince in this but seem to drag out a several year old article that says "hundreds". The rest are about the VA.

                      Could the mental health system be improved? Yes of course there's always room for improvement but at the same time service members also need to be held accountable and attend the appointments.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: More Force Reduction

                        Originally posted by RedLeg View Post

                        Could the mental health system be improved? Yes of course there's always room for improvement but at the same time service members also need to be held accountable and attend the appointments.
                        And keep track of their paperwork.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X