X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RA Units Replacing NG Units To Save Guard $93 Million

This is affecting the current Indiana National Guard deployments.

http://www.riseoftheright.com/2013/0...d-to-save-93m/

Deploying active units over Guard to save $93M

Nearly 1,000 soldiers from 4 Army National Guard units scheduled to muster this summer to a Horn of Africa and Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula will stay home, officials announced Mar 20. The Army, citing an “immediate mercantile year 2013 bill shortfall . . .

You need access to Army Times Prime to read the full article.

Re: RA Units Replacing NG Units To Save Guard $93 Million

Hmm...

[COMSEC EDIT]

This may affect me, too. I haven't heard anything, though.

Comment

my troop was scheduled for Egypt this summer. One of my captains said that the decision hasn't been finalized yet but its pretty much guaranteed. The higher ups have been in communication with a few state senators to figure things out.

They cancelled one or two afghan deployments for the indiana guard last year. They waited until the last minute to do it too. It left alot of angry soldiers since many of them had already sold their cars, left their jobs, or moved out of their apartment.

Comment

More news on this in this week's Army Times. Article is called "Army Defends Active-For-Reserve Deployment Swap".

That the Guard is now concern about their future missions since 9,500 NG Soldiers have been affected by their cancelling of deployments in FY13/14. 23 out of 41 Guard units will now not deploy.

Comment

How will this effect the Guard as far as its use in future missions, training, etc?

Comment

The article is now live at http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...eployment-swap

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Not sure if you were replying to me or not - but it requires a subscription to read that article.

I am joining the Guard soon and I am concerned that if the Army looks to change their approach with how they train, supply, and deploy the Guard, that it could return to it's pre-9/11 status. I am very excited to join the Guard, especially in it's current state of the last ten or so years. I hope that doesn't change. Can you shed any light on that?

Comment

If you really want to save money, deactivate some active component force structure. Guard units cost about a third of a comparable active duty unit.

Comment

Originally posted by iRedsox View Post
                  Not sure if you were replying to me or not - but it requires a subscription to read that article.

I am joining the Guard soon and I am concerned that if the Army looks to change their approach with how they train, supply, and deploy the Guard, that it could return to it's pre-9/11 status. I am very excited to join the Guard, especially in it's current state of the last ten or so years. I hope that doesn't change. Can you shed any light on that?

Not being a smart @#$ but what does Pre-9/11 actually mean? I think you'd be surprised at what senior leadership calls equipment/training vs what a SPC what call equipment/training.

Back to the article, I ran into a LTC in Kuwait who was part of group who did force projections. After listening to him, it is a very complex task of balancing what units the commander wants and what the force limitations are.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    Not being a smart @#$ but what does Pre-9/11 actually mean? I think you'd be surprised at what senior leadership calls equipment/training vs what a SPC what call equipment/training.

Back to the article, I ran into a LTC in Kuwait who was part of group who did force projections. After listening to him, it is a very complex task of balancing what units the commander wants and what the force limitations are.

Going from an operational reserve back to a strategic reserve. For example, what is discussed in this article: http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=65258

I'm not trying to say anything negative about the Guard. It was just a concern that I had after reading the comments in a few of the articles about this. Many people brought up the same concerns.

Comment

The largest reduction will come from the active component and many BCTs will be deactivated. I do not think it may be suitable to completely shift the burden to the reserve components. Even though NG/AR have been doing exceedingly well during the past 12 years; the active component will always trump NG/AR in readiness and training. And based on the current climate of world conflicts; that is something that needs to be considered and not sacrificed.

Comment

I don't know about saving money, my unit just got tons (literally) of new equipment. Starting to make us all wonder about what the near future holds...

Comment

I was told that my unit has cancelled our 2013 deployment

Comment

Originally posted by dcsti22 View Post
                            I was told that my unit has cancelled our 2013 deployment
                            Just to be clear, your unit didn't make that decision.

Comment

Working...
                            X