X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my fellow Iraq (OIF) War Vets

The anniversary is in two days and I remember watching on TV the attack on Baghdad and the start of the invasion in 2003 and my conditional release was already in the works. So much has happened since those ten years and especially since 9/11 in my military career.

What about you? Comments?

Good article below. Anyone see Generation Kill on HBO?

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/for-m...elong-1.211957

In fact, as of last year nearly 37,000 Americans had been deployed more than five times, among them 10,000 members of guard or Reserve units. Records also show that 400,000 service members have done three or more deployments.

Re: To my fellow Iraq (OIF) War Vets

I saw a good link in the comments section about PRESERVE THE RESERVES (which means the Guard too).

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...gin_redirect=0

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      The anniversary is in two days and I remember watching on TV the attack on Baghdad and the start of the invasion in 2003 and my conditional release was already in the works. So much has happened since those ten years and especially since 9/11 in my military career.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
      I was a PFC in AIT for 88M at Fort Bliss (graduated 28 March 2003). I already had plans to attend college after returning home but I realized that I wanted to be over there in the fight more than anything. My wish was granted about nine months later.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        I was a PFC in AIT for 88M at Fort Bliss (graduated 28 March 2003). I already had plans to attend college after returning home but I realized that I wanted to be over there in the fight more than anything. My wish was granted about nine months later.
        And look at the long way you have come LT. Thanks for your continued service.

Comment

And look at the long way you have come LT. Thanks for your continued service.
          You're making me blush. Thank you, Chief!

Comment

[/FONT][/COLOR]
            My ODA and I, along with a good portion of 10th SFG were already in Northern Iraq, linked up with the Kurds. We were waiting on the rest the Army to get in the game.

Comment

I had just finished AIT a month prior.

Comment

Interesting article on preserve the reserve.
                I think it will take some time before the active component, mainly the Pentagon, truly looks at the reserves as an extension of the active duty. Also, I think the politicians would frown on this as it will limit their ability to wage war. Mainly, activating reserves and NG can be political pain.
                I like the idea. It makes sense, but you would have to increase training for these part time components.
                I never liked the idea of busy work that seemed to occupy a good portion of active duty live during times of peace. It is not cost effective.

Peace

Bry

Comment

Working...
                X