Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKO Censorship

http://www.stripes.com/news/forum-on...-site-1.205204

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — In the midst of last year’s election, somebody started a thread on the Army’s internal website bashing President Barack Obama’s record.
    Hundreds of responses were posted before somebody complained to the site’s authorities. Ever since, the blogs and forums on the Army site have been disabled.
    Army Knowledge Online has hosted discussion forums for a decade. For the most part, they were a free-wheeling space barely monitored by the Army.
    Read more at the above link.

Even AKO administrators have closed forums because 1st Amendment (got it right this time) expression does not align with its policies and views that do not align with the "status quo". Granted, I will not like to be a CEO and on our company website have our employeers provide dissatisfaction with my performance and on my vision on how to operate the company.

But I have seen on the public internet websites that are almost pro-KKK and anti-minority which proves that racism is alive and well in our country in the 21st Century and even though I do not like that, I accept that as part of freedom in our society. Same as in the movie, "The American President", the President said that freedom of expression is waving the American Flag and also that person that can his/her right in burning that flag in protest.

But yes, people have gotten fired and their reputation ruined because they presented their honest views. Consequences of enjoying the Bill of Rights.

Re: AKO Censorship

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment. The First Amendment prevents criminalization of speech by the government. It doesn't mean that anyone has an obligation to help you get your point across.

If I don't read your book, that's not censorship. If I don't join your mosque/synagogue/temple, that's not religious oppression. If I don't let you use my resources to spread your ideas, that's not censorship.

Comment

When I read the subject title, I thought it was going to be a complaint about the fact that the message body of AKO emails going (forwarded) to non gov email domains are now completely removed.

Comment

You waive your free speech when you enter any internet forum.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          You waive your free speech when you enter any internet forum.
          Depends on the forum Steve.

http://floridafreespeech.org/

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum103/560.htm

And to the LTC's response, I do agree. That is why I made the CEO reference but at the same time because the thread was not positive towards POTUS it was removed. I wonder if the thread was pro-Obama and grandstanding his policies would the thread be closed due to a complaint nor would it had made headlines. Perhaps not. But on the internet, depending on the forum, freedom of expression is picked and choosed based on the forum "meme's" idealogy.

AKO, milbook, other mil.net (e.g. WONET) purpose is a community of networks for collaboration purposes; just as it is on here in which users have to abide by forum policies.

Anyway, this is not wikileaks. I just found the article interesting, informative and just wanted to share it.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 26th, 2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            When I read the subject title, I thought it was going to be a complaint about the fact that the message body of AKO emails going (forwarded) to non gov email domains are now completely removed.
            Yes, I like to play on words and headline grabbers. I been reading the NY Post too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              I been reading the NY Post too much.
              Shame on you! BTW This is a better Presidential speech

Last edited by o13starsnstripes; January 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I found some good information on just use the search feature.

Comment

Thanks Michaa for the link, it was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                  X