• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army vs. Marines: New article about MARPAT and UCP

http://news.msn.com/us/armed-service...l-over-fashion

Re: Army vs. Marines: New article about MARPAT and UCP

Devil,

New dated article but the same ole in reporting. MARPAT was deemed not proprietary and other services can adopt if they want but what I am seeing happen is that the services are adopting similar patterns to MARPAT. The US Navy with NWU type II and III and the Army hopefully adopting US4CES (remaining with a digital pattern). The Air Force will simply follow/copy the Army. Probably a tiger stripe form of MARPAT

The reason why a decision has not already been made because sequestration is still on the table. Until that issue is worked out thus defining a solid future budget for the Army; a decision for a new pattern has been delayed. ADS/Hyperstealth informed me that a decision should have been made in December but I guess we have to wait a while more.

I keep hearing that home depot story about MARPAT but many camo industry analysts (Guy Cramer) will tell you that MARPAT was born from CADPAT. That the Canadians had implemented coyote brown prior to the Marines saying they found it.

http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/00034.php

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=us4ces <-One of the older threads of the camo debate.

Perhaps this article has come out knowing that a decision will finally come out soon.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Chief - I had heard that CADPAT was part of the design process back in the late 90's/early 2000's, but was never sure.

My bet is the Marines will make EVERY effort to keep the pattern proprietary and the Army will go with either MultiCam or US4CES.

As far as the AF/Navy.......whatever. It'll be hosed up no matter what they do!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
        Chief - I had heard that CADPAT was part of the design process back in the late 90's/early 2000's, but was never sure.

My bet is the Marines will make EVERY effort to keep the pattern proprietary and the Army will go with either MultiCam or US4CES.

As far as the AF/Navy.......whatever. It'll be hosed up no matter what they do!
        If the Army does chose the US4CES (which I am hoping for) which color pattern do y'all think they'll go with?

I'm hoping for the Woodland style.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
          If the Army does chose the US4CES (which I am hoping for) which color pattern do y'all think they'll go with?

I'm hoping for the Woodland style.
          It was stated that transitional will be the primary camo for daily wear. And that Woodland/Desert will be issued for deployment purposes. I say for long term purposes; to go a step beyond of what the Marines do. The Marines issues four uniforms (two in woodland and two in desert). I suggest that Army issue six uniforms (two for each). I will then suggest to lower the uniform allowance or provide it bi-annually. To be honest, many use their annual clothing allowance for liquor and partying.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            It was stated that transitional will be the primary camo for daily wear. And that Woodland/Desert will be issued for deployment purposes. I say for long term purposes; to go a step beyond of what the Marines do. The Marines issues four uniforms (two in woodland and two in desert). I suggest that Army issue six uniforms (two for each). I will then suggest to lower the uniform allowance or provide it bi-annually. To be honest, many use their annual clothing allowance for liquor and partying.
            Yeah, my Uncle in the 101st used his all his money for booze and partying.

I'm hoping they chose soon because I'm going to Basic at the end of May and if what happened to my cousin happens to me, I'll either A. Get them at Basic (especially since I'm going to Benning) or B. I'll get them right when I get to my Unit.

Comment

I say let the Marines keep their precious MARPAT but give the Army, Navy and Air Force the US4CES pattern. At the very least the Army and Air Force should work together to get the US4CES.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
                I'm hoping they chose soon because I'm going to Basic at the end of May and if what happened to my cousin happens to me, I'll either A. Get them at Basic (especially since I'm going to Benning) or B. I'll get them right when I get to my Unit.
                Don't expect that. Everyone at BCT with me back in 2011 thought we were getting them soon.

A selection hasn't been made yet. I believe results of the competition were briefed to the Chief of Staff (CSA) recently, but no decision was made. Given the threat of sequestration, lateness of a FY14 Presiden'ts Budget submission, and the "budget uncertantities" memo he and SecArmy just released.....really don't expect any movement on this at all this year.

It would be nice but it's becoming more and more unlikely in our current budgetary environment.

Comment

When I was in Cuba, CSMs and Generals were wearing ACUs....and rumor was we would all get it before we left the island. It wasn't until I think a year after we came back that everyone was finally all wearing them.

Comment

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=us4ces

The decision is near!!!!

The U.S. Army’s top officer says the service is poised to pick a new camouflage pattern for uniforms.The selection comes after tests showed the existing design, a grayish-green digital pattern that appears on the standard-issue fatigues known as the Army Combat Uniform, or ACU, was poorly suited for environments such as Afghanistan, according to Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond Odierno.
                    “It’s the wrong color,” Odierno said during a May 7 breakfast with reporters. “It’s not the right patterns,” he said. “Every test we’ve done [says] it’s wrong. So we’re going to come up with a new pattern.”

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2013/05/ar...#ixzz2SeplF9nR
                    Kit Up!

Read more @

http://kitup.military.com/2013/05/ar...2887570&rank=2

Comment

Appears to be no new Army camo for a while.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...combat-uniform

Comment

Great, so we'll all look the same or in other words, we'll all be wearing MARPAT because the Marines are not giving up

I lol'd when I read, "Senate Armed Services Committee has joined its House counterpart in telling the services to quit wasting money on their own unique styles." How hypocritical.

Comment

Considering how much effort the Army put into the recent camo test and how other patterns beat out MARPAT in several areas I don't think the Marines can win that fight. If they bitch that much I say let them keep an inferior camo pattern while the Army, Navy and Air Force work together to get the best. This inter service rivalry is just plain retarded.

Comment

Working...
                          X