Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Salary Versus Walmart Pay

http://news.yahoo.com/military-salar...ews-money.html

Re: Military Salary Versus Walmart Pay

Since this was related to my article; you should of appended it to mine, so it can create a meaningful, seamless discussion.

Also, it is frustrating when civilians with no knowledge of the miliary write stuff such as "W-1 enlisted" which makes no sense. Plus, they are addressing a grade that is such a small percentage of the total military. The demographic that Walmart jobs are focusing on is basically the lower enlisted (E-3 to E-5), one-hitch short-timers possibly in MOSes that do no correlate to a civilian job or with just a HS Diploma. Yes, there will be others that have familes and greater expenses that will be fighting for these jobs.

A Warrant who decides to leave the service before retirement (usually the young aviator not the tech warrant) will be possibly looking at the high end paying jobs.

Now in my case as a W2 that gets paid at the 22 year scale which is over 5100 a month plus 1500 in BAH and 233 in BAS. I net 1500 a week (over 81K a year) which is great for many but I work 24/7, 365 days a year. When I was downrange, I was working basically around the clock.

Imagine my skills in the private sector which that amount of hours which will equal to overtime. I will be easily making over six figures in the high 190k a year. Yes, I get free medical but it is not the greatest in the world compared to the insurance plan (I use to pay 180 a month in a family insurance plan) I use to pay for when I was a civilian but it still helps in keeping more take-home. And yes, I did not pay taxes when I was downrange and probably will get over a 6K return for 2012.

Yes, as you move up in rank in active duty service, the income and job security can provide a well standard of living but these jobs could be a good stepping stone for success. When I got out of the Marines in 91, I started my first job as a bank teller making 10 bucks an hour. Also, I worked jobs as a Kirby and beeper salesman to make more money. Also, I was single at the time. If you are young, married or not with kids; it will cut into your pay. You have to be practical and adult as you establish a living. Set yourself up for success first before getting married and having a family. I learned this because all I saw was the wrong choices living in the South Bronx.

Point is that I hustled to make cash and that is the drive that young people need when they exit the service. Not to simply expect easy cash. And education is paramount.

I have a sibling that graduated from HS and works in retail at about 11 bucks an hour and supports him and four dependents. He struggles and is in debt and his spouse can only find a minimum wage job. He is in his 30s. He is lucky to have a rent controlled apartment at 400 bucks month in downtown Manhattan. But who can you blame; if you never pushed yourself in regards to education or in seeking a skillful job? Why have more kids if your earning potential is still weak? Point is that many people put themselves in this predicament. This is the United States and immigrants are shocked to see that people who are born here living in poverty and cannot succeed. This country gives so much in opportunities and entitlements but yet many people are lazy or choose not to push themselves. Bottom line is that many want to join the military for job security and a regular paycheck.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 16th, 2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      And education is paramount.
      Just make sure it isn't in basket weaving studies.

Comment

Funny.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7447375_av..._medium=test24

Link about E5 pay.

Comment

No this is funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P80ds67zw1I

Comment

Imagine my skills in the private sector which that amount of hours which will equal to overtime.
            Most active duty Soldiers are truly clueless about what their skills are worth. I've seen many officers decide to get out and think they're going to make more money only find out it's false and go back to active duty. Most far over rate themselves and their worth.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              Most active duty Soldiers are truly clueless about what their skills are worth. I've seen many officers decide to get out and think they're going to make more money only find out it's false and go back to active duty. Most far over rate themselves and their worth.
              In another rare moment of life, I agree with you. However, Chief Kemosabeslicker is an IT guy with a security clearance. 6 figure salary is the norm in that industry with that combination.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                In another rare moment of life, I agree with you. However, Chief Kemosabeslicker is an IT guy with a security clearance. 6 figure salary is the norm in that industry with that combination.
                +gazillion

Yes, when I first left AD in the early 90s (with no degree and credentials), it was obviously a different job market than today. And I under-negotiated my first salary after AD because I truly did not know what my skills was worth. But now unlike my time in '91, and at least before leaving AD service, you are given ample transition time to find a job with a reasonable wage/salary and to do your homework on what your skills are worth. If not; use that first job as a stepping stone (like as I did) for seeking out that dream job. A primary reason that employers are looking for is an officer with combat experience. That alone can find a good retail, managerial job in the high 30s/early 40s (minimum). Yes, location is imperative and willling to re-locate.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 20th, 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

That alone can find a good retail, managerial job in the high 30s/early 40s (minimum).
                  That's right above minimum wage and not much of a wage in most areas of the country. Another example of how out of touch active duty is with the civilian market.

Another thing the AC forgets, especially those with families, is all the benefits. Medical/cheap dental, paid leave, no retirements costs, union dues ect. Just the medical alone and if you live near an installation that you can get your prescriptions free or next to is above most civilian health insurance plans.

Comment

That's right above minimum wage and not much of a wage in most areas of the country. Another example of how out of touch active duty is with the civilian market.

Another thing the AC forgets, especially those with families, is all the benefits. Medical/cheap dental, paid leave, no retirements costs, union dues ect. Just the medical alone and if you live near an installation that you can get your prescriptions free or next to is above most civilian health insurance plans.
                    Yes, I been on AD for a long while so I may be out of touch of what is the expected starting salaries. But my brother lives in New York City and I think that the minimum wage is 7.25 an hour which equates to a little over 15k a year. I do not know how 15k higher is just right above the minimum wage and I stated that someone should be able to find something around or better at that minimum salary that I suggested. I know that family will be a factor in any salary negotiation but I was referring to a person that is single (such as I was when I first separated).

I met a PFC (23 years old) in Germany in 2010 that was separating from the service on a medical and he found an IT job (he was Signal) at a base in Texas for 55K a year. So based on his circumstances and what he was making as a single PFC, I consider that as an excellent transition. Before I came back on AD in 2003, my last year on my SSN statement showed I made over 70K a year so for me personally; that is my baseline or better upon retirement. At least 70k added to my retirement should set me up when I finally stop working. When I got out the first time, I got hit with that "you have a lot of experience but it is just all military experience", from employers and I do not think that is the case today. Again, I feel veterans have a shot (and yes MOS will be a factor), much better now at good civilian employment that years ago. Just my opinion.

I do agree with you about the non-cash benefits that you mentioned and how most civilian jobs have no parallel to military benefits. But, from my own experience, I worked for excellent civilian firms (Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter, Pfizer, Purdue Pharma) that had outstanding benefits and were rated as "best employer" in the U.S.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Its your math skills that are out of touch...please follow along.

7.25 x 40 = 290

290 x 52 = 15080

15080 is significantly less then even the low 30K.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        Yes, I been on AD for a long while so I may be out of touch of what is the expected starting salaries. But my brother lives in New York City and I think that the minimum wage is 7.25 an hour which equates to a little over 15k a year. I do not know how 15k higher is just right above the minimum wage and I stated that someone should be able to find something around or better at that minimum salary that I suggested. I know that family will be a factor in any salary negotiation but I was referring to a person that is single (such as I was when I first separated).

I met a PFC (23 years old) in Germany in 2010 that was separating from the service on a medical and he found an IT job (he was Signal) at a base in Texas for 55K a year. So based on his circumstances and what he was making as a single PFC, I consider that as an excellent transition. Before I came back on AD in 2003, my last year on my SSN statement showed I made over 70K a year so for me personally; that is my baseline or better upon retirement. At least 70k added to my retirement should set me up when I finally stop working. When I got out the first time, I got hit with that "you have a lot of experience but it is just all military experience", from employers and I do not think that is the case today. Again, I feel veterans have a shot (and yes MOS will be a factor), much better now at good civilian employment that years ago. Just my opinion.

I do agree with you about the non-cash benefits that you mentioned and how most civilian jobs have no parallel to military benefits. But, from my own experience, I worked for excellent civilian firms (Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter, Pfizer, Purdue Pharma) that had outstanding benefits and were rated as "best employer" in the U.S.
                        In Washington, the minimum wage is $10/hr or close to it. I'd agree enlisted can do better or if even they break even they're not living in the barracks. That's the main reason I got out.

My point is mainly with officers/WO's, especially since they get BAH. As a general rule, I'd say they do better Active Duty then they would as a civilian.

As far as them getting jobs, I think Soldiers have a very tough time equating what they have done in the military into civilian jobs sills.

Comment

In Washington, the minimum wage is $10/hr or close to it. I'd agree enlisted can do better or if even they break even they're not living in the barracks. That's the main reason I got out.

My point is mainly with officers/WO's, especially since they get BAH. As a general rule, I'd say they do better Active Duty then they would as a civilian.

As far as them getting jobs, I think Soldiers have a very tough time equating what they have done in the military into civilian jobs sills.
                          At least do yourself the own common courtesy to try and verify the bad information you put out.

"In the District of Columbia, the rate is automatically set at $1 above the Federal minimum wage rate if the District of Columbia rate is lower"

8.25 is a whole lot closer to 7.25 than it is to 10.00.

8.25 x 40 = 330

330 x 52 = 17160

30-40 is the equivalent pay of most NCO's, and Junior W's and O's.

Use a calculator.

an E-1 with less than four months makes 18192.

Comment

Unless he's talking about Washington the state which happens to be $9.19/hour...

9.19 X 40 = $367.6
                            367.6 X 52 = $19115.20
                            Last edited by CollegeGuard; January 20th, 2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with RedLeg here.

Unfortunately, most officers are going to be in for quite a shock when they are forced out in a draw-down and realize that they are in no way prepared for a civilian market.

Comment

Working...
                              X