Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AKO Email Now Requires CAC Access

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
    I must agree. Accessing my AKO email from my cell phone was essential for me to use it. I cannot install a CAC reader and software at work, and I barely use my home PC anymore, I would have to fire it up once a day just to check email from now on, and I can easily see me going a few days without checking. Many of my fellow M-day soldiers only log in with a CAC at most once a month at drill, and they have several hundred emails sitting in their inbox, unread. If we were moving to a platform that was MORE accessible it would make more sense.
    DISA e-mail from a home computer is only CAC accessible as well. I have to check but I think you can forward e-mails to a non .mil account. I have to look at the settings. Perhaps Stevelord will know this before I check.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
      I must agree. Accessing my AKO email from my cell phone was essential for me to use it. I cannot install a CAC reader and software at work, and I barely use my home PC anymore, I would have to fire it up once a day just to check email from now on, and I can easily see me going a few days without checking. Many of my fellow M-day soldiers only log in with a CAC at most once a month at drill, and they have several hundred emails sitting in their inbox, unread. If we were moving to a platform that was MORE accessible it would make more sense.
      That is basically the consensus among my peers. It's going to have a negative impact on the BN. Basically, admin turnaround time for me will go from within the hour to once every two to three days.

Comment

A few days? Fug that. If I accidentally see it once every few months that would be surprising. If I'm going to the trouble of pulling out my CAC and shoving it into a slot, I expect more in return than just AKO mail.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          A few days? Fug that. If I accidentally see it once every few months that would be surprising. If I'm going to the trouble of pulling out my CAC and shoving it into a slot, I expect more in return than just AKO mail.
          You also need to provide a pint of virgin blood to access AKO as well now.

What's going to end up happening is that every time you send an email to an M-day soldier's AKO account, you will also have to make a phone call and tell them to check their AKO.

I've migrated my entire platoon to Gmail this past drill weekend. Platoon files are all stored on Google Drive now. AKO just became completely irrelevant for electronic communication with this new change.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
            You do not know how many times I forgot to take my CAC because of that. I am coming through the gate on-post and reach into my wallet to find out that I left my CAC in my computer. The gate guard/MP directs me to go to base registration to get a pass lol. Sometimes, they give me a break when I show them my driver's license.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              You do not know how many times I forgot to take my CAC because of that. I am coming through the gate on-post and reach into my wallet to find out that I left my CAC in my computer. The gate guard/MP directs me to go to base registration to get a pass lol. Sometimes, they give me a break when I show them my driver's license.
              Wait, you mean you don't try the "Do you know who my father is?" line?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I've migrated my entire platoon to Gmail this past drill weekend. Platoon files are all stored on Google Drive now. AKO just became completely irrelevant for electronic communication with this new change.
                The purpose for my network login is that I have access to internal Sharepoint servers and file shares as well. Does your State does have a server for you guys to save that info? Obviously, if those servers could only be accessed internally so I understand why you put it on google for your unit members to gain access from home. In Germany, I was afforded a VPN account so I can access those servers and drives from home.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  The purpose for my network login is that I have access to internal Sharepoint servers and file shares as well. Does your State does have a server for you guys to save that info? Obviously, if those servers could only be accessed internally so I understand why you put it on google for your unit members to gain access from home. In Germany, I was afforded a VPN account so I can access those servers and drives from home.
                  I'm pretty sure for something like that to work on AKO, I would need to use my CAC in conjunction with a nuclear launch key.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    Wait, you mean you don't try the "Do you know who my father is?" line?

^^^^^^^Awesome!

Comment

And to add a cherry on top the recent global email migration for those of us who are full time has been a huge PITA that won't go away.

Comment

The migration was extremely easy. I just had to re-do my rules and look everyone back up in global.

Comment

My us.army.mil email has not yet been merged into a mail.mil address, although I believe my RCAS account has. I use AKO as my primary email account, AND I can send and receive from my Samsung smart phone. Is that atypical, or will it become impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            My us.army.mil email has not yet been merged into a mail.mil address, although I believe my RCAS account has. I use AKO as my primary email account, AND I can send and receive from my Samsung smart phone. Is that atypical, or will it become impossible?
                            The intent of the new system is to disable IMAP/POP3 compatibility. In other words, they are trying to make it impossible. Whether there is a workaround or not, I'll leave that to the folks here to find out.

Comment

That would really be unfortunate. I will be forced to stop using the .mil address as my primary email as well. Not the best move.

Comment

I will try later today to see if I can get it to work from home as I was just migrated and have a CAC reader on my PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X