• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panetta: Junior leaders can stop suicides

By Patricia Kime - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Jun 22, 2012 15:06:51 EDT
    Read more here: http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...cides-062212w/

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Friday that preventing suicides is a foremost leadership responsibility shouldered by all commanders, but especially by junior leader, non-commissioned officers and petty officers with direct oversight over troops.

Calling suicide “the most frustrating challenge” of his position, Panetta said the Defense Department can create programs, conduct research and lead innovation in neuroscience, but leaders must tackle the issue “head on” because prevention falls to them.
    Last edited by RyCass; October 30th, 2012, 09:51 AM. Reason: Corrected format/added URL

Re: Panetta: Junior leaders can stop suicides

Of course, no demographic information is offered so us junior leaders really have no way of determining what are the most common causes of military suicides. Thanks Panetta, I'll get right on it.

Since I'm in a mathematical mood, let's look at the numbers. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, 12 out of every 100,000 American adults committed suicide in 2009. Currently, there are about 2,915,000 active and reserve component service members in the US Armed Forces. Since we're halfway through the year, let's extrapolate that 155 linearly out to the end of the year and assume that 310 service members will have committed suicide by the end of the 2012. That gives a ratio of 10.6 per 100,000 SMs, which is less than the national average. Furthermore, AFSP shows that at least as of 2009, the rate of suicides in the US has been on the rise, making the increase among service members rather unremarkable.

So if you're scratching your head wondering how it is that all these high ranking folks can't see this, brace yourself. They do see it. What's going on here is that the leftist media has seized an opportunity to criticize the US military, which is naturally a target of theirs because it represents a traditional, patriarchal order that the left cannot tolerate and must either deconstruct or reverse engineer into an organization that fits their politically correct worldview. Our utterly spineless senior leadership capitulates to this idiocy, rather than pull out the incredibly simple statistics that I researched in all of five minutes in order to declare firmly that the stories of military suicides being on the rise are based on statistically ignorant ********. They do this because they are moral cowards who have no convictions whatsoever and are unwilling to defend our institution against the onslaught of leftism.

Just try to imagine a contemporary senior military member making the following statement:

"The rate of suicide in the US military is actually less than that of the general American population. The recent inquiries into the suicide rate of American service members are disingenuous and are being asked in order to create the illusion of an institutional problem within our ranks. I condemn in the strongest terms this exploitation of service members who have taken their own lives, and have no further comment."

You can't, can you? Neither can I. That's because they are all politicians with only their own shallow self-interest in mind. The concept of standing firmly in defense of the military and its practices is not compatible with their mindset.
    Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; June 23rd, 2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      Of course, no demographic information is offered so us junior leaders really have no way of determining what are the most common causes of military suicides. Thanks Panetta, I'll get right on it.

Since I'm in a mathematical mood, let's look at the numbers. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, 12 out of every 100,000 American adults committed suicide in 2009. Currently, there are about 2,915,000 active and reserve component service members in the US Armed Forces. Since we're halfway through the year, let's extrapolate that 155 linearly out to the end of the year and assume that 310 service members will have committed suicide by the end of the 2012. That gives a ratio of 10.6 per 100,000 SMs, which is less than the national average. Furthermore, AFSP shows that at least as of 2009, the rate of suicides in the US has been on the rise, making the increase among service members rather unremarkable.

So if you're scratching your head wondering how it is that all these high ranking folks can't see this, brace yourself. They do see it. What's going on here is that the leftist media has seized an opportunity to criticize the US military, which is naturally a target of theirs because it represents a traditional, patriarchal order that the left cannot tolerate and must either deconstruct or reverse engineer into an organization that fits their politically correct worldview. Our utterly spineless senior leadership capitulates to this idiocy, rather than pull out the incredibly simple statistics that I researched in all of five minutes in order to declare firmly that the stories of military suicides being on the rise are based on statistically ignorant ********. They do this because they are moral cowards who have no convictions whatsoever and are unwilling to defend our institution against the onslaught of leftism.

Just try to imagine a contemporary senior military member making the following statement:
      "The rate of suicide in the US military is actually less than that of the general American population. The recent inquiries into the suicide rate of American service members are disingenuous and are being asked in order to create the illusion of an institutional problem within our ranks. I condemn in the strongest terms this exploitation of service members who have taken their own lives, and have no further comment."

You can't, can you? Neither can I. That's because they are all politicians with only their own shallow self interests in mind. The concept of standing firmly in defense of the military and its practices is not compatible with their mindset.
      It takes many years of being a "Yes man" to get to where they are at now so with all that conditioning it is impossible to expect them to have the will to mount a defense.
      Last edited by Polo08816; June 22nd, 2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        It takes many years of being a "Yes man" to get to where they are at now so with all that conditioning it is impossible to expect them to have the will to mount a defense.
        There is another word to call them and thats robot!

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          I think I found a better title for them: Institutional Drones.

Comment

This issue is nothing new in our military and law enforcement agencies across the country. It is part of the pressures from Congress coming from "the mothers of America" which push many issues that were commonplace before out to the forefront. Drill Sergeants acting more like mentors; NCOs which are now undermined, Toxic Leaders getting bashed and hazing that should never exist in the first place.

With wars over the past 10 years; this could be used as a reason to diminish deployment times and to cease the wars. But combat always produces more of this and more of that (e.g. PTSD)

http://www.brianwillson.com/memorand...tnam-veterans/ <--1999

http://www.baycitizen.org/veterans/s...ong-wwii-vets/

http://archive.redstate.com/stories/...mong_veterans/

http://www.dcoe.health.mil/Content/n...opulations.pdf <---interesting stats

Comment

Interesting brief we received on current suicide data.

Majority of Soldiers are male (95%)

Majority are married.

Majority are 11B; second 31B.

Majority are active duty (Regular Army).

Comment

Working...
              X