X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to military life and very anxious

My husband just joined the guard and left for basic training in Fort Sill two weeks ago. We are married with two young children and I am new to military life. I find it very hard to manage the uncertainty in the future. What are the deployment chances? How dangerous is it? What should I expect in terms of more separation after his basic training? I believe he's in the officer track, and will have the state OCS sometime in the future. I am generally supportive but have been very stressed out going to graduate school full time and taking care of the kids by myself right now. We don't have family nearby either. I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences with me.

Your husband's unit should have a family readiness group (FRG) to provide advice and emotional support. Also, watching re-runs of Army Wives is good medicine. When I was Guard and went away for training, the Mrs held the fort down and is the rock of the family. I left the Guard to go back on active duty and have been deployed for three years out of my last ten years. We managed because we were older and wiser and talked about military expectations.

The war in Afghanistan is ending so your husband may not deploy to a war zone but may go on other short humanitarian deployments but I think there should be a lull for a while. I earned my associate's, bachelor's and master's while with my spouse of 20 years and it is all about communication and supporting one another.

Comment

Working...
    X