Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your Guard unit waste a ton of time sitting around doing nothing?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your Guard unit waste a ton of time sitting around doing nothing?

Being in the NG for the past 5 years I've noticed something. A lot of the time during drill we sit around and do nothing for hours until our next mission. We waste a ton of time as a unit and individually as soldiers. Take for example last drill

We were told to report an hour early to drill a MUTA 6, the drive to drill is two hours one way. Between 0700-1100 we loaded two vehicles with our rucks (4 hours). Next we convoyed down to Picket (4 hours). We got on base and waited to be transported (1 hour). We got some good MOUT squad movement training in for about an hour. The rest of the day we sat around MOUT town and racked out for the night (3 hours).

Next day we got up ate chow at 6am and waited until about 1300 to do some MOUT training (7 hours). We got 4 good hours of MOUT training that day and sat around the rest of the day until nightfall and racked out.

The last day we got up and waited around until 1000 to proceed back to home station (4 hours). We convoyed back and got back to the armory (4 hours). We cleaned weapons and the junior enlisted cleaned up the armory for about 4 hours.

The point of this post is to show how much time we waste at drill. We wasted almost an entire day sitting around doing nothing. Out of the whole MUTA 6 we trained only for about 5 hours.

Is the entire National Guard like this? Both units I've been in were the same case and we wasted a ton of time sitting around and doing nothing.

Hip pocket training is your friend. *drinks the koolaid*

Comment

Some drills are better than others. Last month I ran the company through training from 0600 - 2300, including chow and movement times; not much 'down time,' maybe an hour or so between STX lanes based on having a live fire lane and needing more time to execute that training.

Comment

Originally posted by ever_forward View Post
        Being in the NG for the past 5 years I've noticed something. A lot of the time during drill we sit around and do nothing for hours until our next mission. We waste a ton of time as a unit and individually as soldiers. Take for example last drill

We were told to report an hour early to drill a MUTA 6, the drive to drill is two hours one way. Between 0700-1100 we loaded two vehicles with our rucks (4 hours). Next we convoyed down to Picket (4 hours). We got on base and waited to be transported (1 hour). We got some good MOUT squad movement training in for about an hour. The rest of the day we sat around MOUT town and racked out for the night (3 hours).

Next day we got up ate chow at 6am and waited until about 1300 to do some MOUT training (7 hours). We got 4 good hours of MOUT training that day and sat around the rest of the day until nightfall and racked out.

The last day we got up and waited around until 1000 to proceed back to home station (4 hours). We convoyed back and got back to the armory (4 hours). We cleaned weapons and the junior enlisted cleaned up the armory for about 4 hours.

The point of this post is to show how much time we waste at drill. We wasted almost an entire day sitting around doing nothing. Out of the whole MUTA 6 we trained only for about 5 hours.

Is the entire National Guard like this? Both units I've been in were the same case and we wasted a ton of time sitting around and doing nothing.
        In my opinion, everyone probably has a hand (is responsible for) in this. At the state level, do you have the funding/coordination to be able to train effectively? If not, what is your unit doing (within its means) to ensure that it is being trained to the best of its abilities for its mission. Is there additional training going on at the platoon, squad, fire team level? There should always be something to work on at all levels?

Comment

It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. You can't solve the problem you described ... or at least you can't solve it today by yourself. You can, however, take concrete steps to mitigate the situation. Work with your chain of command on positive ways to use time effectively, particularly utilizing your own initative, effort, and enthusiasm. Keep it positive, and develop a positive bias towards action in your command climate. Be part of the change you want to see.

Comment

Yes I am thinking of going awol that's how boring and a waste of time drill is. Just scared of getting a bad discharge I'm fed up

Comment

Working...
            X