Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the national guard treats its soldiers.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the national guard treats its soldiers.

Hey everybody, I have a lot to type here but I just want to make everyone aware of how the national guard can operate at times. Also I am not going to disclose to much information because the unlikely chance that somebody from the Tennessee Army National Guard see's this information and tries to ream my ass about posting what has happened in my situation.

I'm an E-5 in the Tennessee Army National Guard,I've been in the guard almost 5 years now and I have done pretty decent in my career with the guard, meaning no disciplinary infractions,never missed a drill unexcused or anything else negative so we can rule out that I am not a **** bag. Back in May of this year I lost my job, I was working under a 90 evaluation period and the best I can tell the company released me because my drill and AT schedule was interfering with the company's interest, ( I cannot prove this because this would be against the law for the company to fire someone because they are national guard.) But yes this sort of thing does happen.

So given my options I started looking and applying for other jobs. I used the resources from the national guard to help find a job and also for the first time ever used the resources from family assistance to help pay bills.( which the family assistance help is a one time use. ) At the time my wife was pregnant with our son, which now is 6 days old so it was really not beneficial for me to grab the first job at McDonald's that became available because I cannot live on that low of an income ( I know its possible for a single person to do.) but lets be realistic, a married person with a wife,daughter and soon to be son all while maintaining bills that cannot be cut like medical insurance and car payments.

I finally came to the conclusion that the best option was for me to apply for a conditional release from the guard to go to the active army. I went to a recruiter and got the DD368 to submit to my unit and speaking with him for a while he stated that the only way I would get accepted would be to go 18X. I did my research on special forces and I am fine with trying out for SF. Now having done this process once before previously I knew that A DD368 will take a bit of time in order to get where it needs to go and it may not even get approved. I wrote a letter stating enlistment into active army would financially secure my soon to be new child and health insurance would benefit my diabetic wife and children. I attached my letter to my DD368 and sent it up. At this point I did a lot of research on conditional releases and found that it may be a good idea to call your local congressman to help with the process so I did.

About two months went by and I get a phone call from my brigade CSM. He tells me that he is not going to approve my conditional release but what he will do is put me on ADOS orders for a couple of weeks or so until I find a job. So I start my ADOS orders working while still searching for jobs, about two weeks into my orders my brigade CSM takes me to speak with the senior enlisted CSM one morning about my conditional release. He states that he has read my letter for the reasons why I want to go active duty but he doesn't think that it " is whats best for me." He denies my conditional release but says that it still has to be approved by the TAG.

Now I am sent to a 3 day employment workshop to teach me how to write resume's and speak to people over the phone.... which is I guess good in a sense but at the same time I already had a resume built and I have had previous jobs.

I have been working on ADOS orders for almost 2 months now ( I am very thankful that I am able to receive orders and I know this is not owed to me. ) But recently I haven't been able to make it in to work because of my wife having this new child and having a C-Section and the BIG fact that the last time that I was payed for my orders was on
    August 21st( which was for 2 and a half weeks of work. ) .....It's now September 24th. Our water was cut off yesterday because I haven't been payed in over a month from the military. And did I mention I have a 6 day old baby.

I am using my grandmothers internet to write this so don't think that we haven't cut all the unnecessary bills out.
    If it wasn't because of food stamps,WIC and my family helping out as much as they could then I would be even further up **** creek with no swim trunks right now. And in conclusion I strongly believe that the National Guard will put it's well being ( unit strength,state strength and basically how many weekend soldiers do we need to retain in order to keep our funding. ) over the well being of the soldiers and the soldiers families.

Re: How the national guard treats its soldiers.

First of all, it is not the National Guard. The problem could be certain leaders that prefer to fight you instead of helping you and that could be for a slew of reasons.

I left the Guard almost 10 years ago to go active duty and been active duty since. When I submitted my conditional release, I never contacted a Congressmen to help get it approve. I do not think that was a wise choice and perhaps the CSMs are being deliberate with their actions because a call has reached their offices.

For the record, my response is not to judge but to understand and respond to your post.

First, what is it that you do for a living that you are running into a speed bump in finding adequate, good paying, employment? Do you have one year left on your contract?

Also, it is not the National Guard's responsibility to help you find or provide full-time employment because of a rough patch in your life. The same thing happened to me (I was brushed off the Salt Lake City's CT Guard's mission and was hoping to use that for temporary full-time employment when I was in-between jobs.

You have to take control over your personal life as if you are not in the Guard. Also, they under no obligation to approve a DD368 based on dire circumstances. They can possibly decrease their total manpower strength if that was the case.

I know 18X is not your first choice so try looking at other branches, AGR and technician positions. Also, you need to seek out a temp agency for work.

Also, here is a link as well.

https://www.acap.army.mil/jobs/creat...e-resumes.aspx

I suggest that you re-engage the CSM and have a real sit down and explain why you NEED to go active. If you can properly articulate these reasons and at the same time, state that your pre-mature action with the Congressman was uncalled for; perhaps you may get the response you want.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

obviously youre an exprienced guardsman and im not, but coming from a supervisory position in a big agency in my civilian work, it is not always the agency, but just a few people. The National Guard is a huge entity and youre assuming the whole guard is against you, which i highly doubt. You even expressed how they try to help you when they really didnt have to. this is an advise and not a judgement, take the bull by the horns and accept responsability for your life brother...
      Im not from Tennessee but i may have a way to help with employment. It will not be the type of employment you can start in a week or two, but if youre interested, shoot me a pm.

Comment

I do understand that the national guard is not against me and that a lot of the senior enlisted do want to help soldiers with situations.
        Now from experience in the military I also understand that sometimes you get the run around.
        The reason that I contacted my local congressman to help with this issue was because the previous time that I submitted a DD368 ( I was employed but my work had slowed for about a month.) I submitted my DD368 using my chain of command like I was supposed to and it took my command just over 6 months to get my request to a brigade level. Obviously with another child on the way I didn't really have the luxury of time to wait another six months to get a response.

I'm 24 years old, I have done residential moving,office construction and worked driving a side-loader pulling and throwing steel.
        For the guard I am a 91G ( Electronic Fire Control Systems Repairer ) which entails working on vehicle and artillery weapon systems.
        http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/45g.htm

Trust me Chief I understand that the National guard has no obligation to provide full-time employment.
        I also understand from being in the military that sometime you get the run around so by taking the bull by the horns and taking my personal life into my hand I have applied for two full time technician positions with the national guard,one being very close to my mos but I was passed over for another technician that applied for the position.I have had two interviews at a local barge building company, the interviews went great and I called with my follow up for the position but I haven't heard anything else.I have applied with two major law enforcement agencies for entry level positions. Gibson guitars and a DOD contractor called Mantech, I put in for unemployment when I first lost my job in May but I did not work with the company long enough to draw unemployment.
        So its not as if I'm sitting around waiting for a golden egg to fall in my lap.

We are all adults here and I think that we can all agree that hard times are able to hit anybody unexpectedly.
        I have a year and 1 month left on my 6 year contract. October 2014 is my ETS

I will admit that me being a little irate over this situation has caused me to miss communicate, The national guard is not working against me, it has helped in job searching and has given me more resources to work with than I would have had not being enlisted but at the same time it is clear that the stability and benefits of active service would be the best thing for both me and my family right now. Once again I am very thankful that my state has money to put me on ADOS orders but this is a temporary fix and its not even a fix at the moment considering I haven't been payed in over a month.

Comment

I hope since May you've applied for more than just the 6 jobs mentioned. I applied for that many in less than a week and interviewed for that many in a month's time when I moved and was looking for work. (If I am reading this correctly...maybe I am not.) One of my pet peeves is people who whine about the economy/lack of jobs, but are type who do just sit around waiting on Monster or Careerbuilder to find the job for them. I am not saying you're this type of person. But I tell everyone looking for work if you don't have a spreadsheet full of jobs and calendar with at least some interviews penciled in...you're not doing enough.

Good luck Guitar. And keep us updated on everything.
          Last edited by SteveLord; September 24th, 2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I stopped being concerned with this post after reading this sentence.... "At this point I did a lot of research on conditional releases and found that it may be a good idea to call your local congressman to help with the process so I did.".

What?!...that speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
              I stopped being concerned with this post after reading this sentence.... "At this point I did a lot of research on conditional releases and found that it may be a good idea to call your local congressman to help with the process so I did.".

What?!...that speaks volumes.

I'm not exactly sure what stands out so much about this, the fact that I wanted a conditional release from the national guard to go active army or the fact that I actually did research on what could help the process go a little smother,by the way it did go a lot more smoothly, I got a response on my conditional release in a month and a half as compared to six months. Yes the response was the same but personally I would rather have a definite no quickly rather than be waiting in limbo hoping for something that will not turn out.

Last time I checked I am still in the national guard, which if I remember correctly the slogan is something like Citizen/Soldier, and I believe that as a citizen I have the right to contact my local congress representative.

I really appreciate everybody that's posting on here because of general concerns and what I am going to say next will not apply to you.
              I am not on here to look for pity,sorrow or to whine about any of these circumstances, I am here to tell the story of what has happened to me so that maybe any other soldiers our there with questions about how a conditional release can go or what may happen if they ever fall under these circumstances like I have and will have a little knowledge on what CAN happen.
              Secondly and this is important, I am NOT stating that every soldier wanting a conditional release should call congress. this is not how things should be done but in MY situation, looking for financial stability and having a newborn on the way along with a diabetic wife who is insulin dependent, hell yes I did my research and did what I thought was best for my family.
              I am not sitting around waiting for a golden egg to fall in my lap, I have been a part of the work force for a while and I know what it takes to get a job.

Also for anybody to deny that the economy has anything to do with the work available obviously has a miss understanding of what economy is. Some examples of when an economy have killed jobs are as follows. The great depression, Detroit City going bankrupt and our country being a few trillion dollars in debt resulting in the recent and currently ongoing downsize in the military. These are just a FEW of the examples of how a bad economy will kill jobs. Oh and its not only the military that is being affected by our national debt, DOD contractors and the state government are also cutting people.

Comment

The TAG will approve dire straits Conditional Releases based on financial situations. I'm not sure why your CoC isn't helping you out.

Comment

When I switched from NG to AD, my first condition of release got lost in the shuffle and it was about 4 to 5 months later that I just took a copy that I had and re-submitted.

You can make whatever decision that you want about contacting your Congressman but personally, regardless of circumstance, you should of just re-submitted. Your call probably gave the impression that someone was deliberate in not approving your request and now with your call, could had them made the purposely deny your request.

All I and Reality are are typing that a call to your local Congressman is not required or necessary for this action (I have achieved results with DD368 approvals twice in my career - Once in 1987 and the second in 2003) and I am an example of that. Hopefully the TAG will trump their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarxmadness View Post
                    Also for anybody to deny that the economy has anything to do with the work available obviously has a miss understanding of what economy is. Some examples of when an economy have killed jobs are as follows. The great depression, Detroit City going bankrupt and our country being a few trillion dollars in debt resulting in the recent and currently ongoing downsize in the military. These are just a FEW of the examples of how a bad economy will kill jobs. Oh and its not only the military that is being affected by our national debt, DOD contractors and the state government are also cutting people.
                    I certainly don't want to get political. I am just saying there are more jobs out there than people seem to think. And I would certainly move if I felt like it wasn't going to get better. I left Jersey years ago and never regretted it.

Comment

Thanks for the info OP. Hope it works out for you.

>>CLICK<<

Comment

Working...
                      X