X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Changing Experience & Some Reflection

Since I truly do want to know what I'm getting into, I'm inquisitive about your responses to these questions:

How has being in the Guard had a profound impact on your life?

What event(s) in your career in the NG changed your life? (What was it ? What about it was life changing?)

Would you do it all over again? (Would you have done anything different?)

Re: Life Changing Experience & Some Reflection

Bumpittybumpbumpbump.

Anybody?

Comment

I'll bite. Bear in mind that I did 6 years Active Marines, and I've only been in the Guard since May.

As far as a profound impact... My wife is an Active 2LT, and I was out of the Marines for 2 years before I decided to join. I hated being a civilian as well as a "house-husband" (college made me sort of a homebody) so joining the Guard definitely gave me a sense of pride that I was lacking. I also got the only job other than infantry (which wasn't offered in my state) that I wanted - Combat Medic. The feeling you get putting on that uniform is staggering sometimes, and I hate to sound like a motard but being in the military is the only thing I feel like I'm good at, or even really care about.

My unit was mobilized over the weekend to go to Colorado to help with the evacuations during the flood. Although the section I volunteered for is still on stand-by, doing something in my own country for its citizens instead of in another country has a huge effect on the heart. On the one hand I'm thankful that it hasn't gotten so bad that I need to be called down, but on the other just being able to help my neighbors is a great feeling that I would love to be able to do.

If I could do anything different, I would have held out for a bonus. When I enlisted, all I wanted was a special school. I got Air Assault added to my contract, but unfortunately due to unit funding I'm not sure if that dream will ever come to a reality. Other medics in my unit were getting $10,000+ to enlist...

Like I said, I haven't been in this game very long but it definitely filled a hole in my life that I desperately needed. Oh, and my wife is excited that my beard doesn't grow past a month now

Comment

Originally posted by LordKeynes View Post
        Since I truly do want to know what I'm getting into, I'm inquisitive about your responses to these questions:

How has being in the Guard had a profound impact on your life?

I started my career off as a Army Reservist and then switched to the Guard. I have more Guard time than Reserves but more active duty time than the Guard and Reserves combined but all I can say is that afforded me a free education; had me do interesting things on the weekends and meet interesting people. Since I am an AD Soldier and have been AD most of the time (and the military overall has been a part of my adult life); AD has had more of an impact on my life (personally and professionally) in shaping the person that I am.

What event(s) in your career in the NG changed your life? (What was it ? What about it was life changing?)

No real epiphany but just experiencing the military provided some self-satisfaction and pride.

Would you do it all over again? (Would you have done anything different?)

Honestly, I would have waited to I finished my degree to become an officer earlier in my career or finished 20 years active in the Marine Corps; regardless if I would have retired as an E-7. I am a Chief Warrant Officer that most likely will retire as a CW4 but nevertheless, I have always loved the Corps.
        When I saw this, I was going to start off with the word "I bite" and saw my fellow Devil Dog battle started off the same lol.

My responses are above and remember everyone's experiences are unique. I have spent the last decade in Infantry Divisions such as the 101st and 4th ID at Fort Carson and prior to that the Marine Corps so I been in high-tempo, strict adherence to military rules and regulations environments. I saw Soldiers getting smoked hard yesterday and realized that never happened to me in the Guard; not even in PLDC, BNCOC or my stint at traditional OCS.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

My unit was mobilized over the weekend to go to Colorado to help with the evacuations during the flood. Although the section I volunteered for is still on stand-by, doing something in my own country for its citizens instead of in another country has a huge effect on the heart. On the one hand I'm thankful that it hasn't gotten so bad that I need to be called down, but on the other just being able to help my neighbors is a great feeling that I would love to be able to do.
          USMCLong, that's exactly one of the reasons that I want to join. And, by the way you all are doing a great job, here in CO! Keep at it.

Like I said, I haven't been in this game very long but it definitely filled a hole in my life that I desperately needed.
          I'm sort of having this feeling too, and that joining the Guard could help with this. It probably will...not "could." Haha.

Oh, and my wife is excited that my beard doesn't grow past a month now
          Ha!

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          just experiencing the military provided some self-satisfaction and pride
          This. I hear this one a lot. So, objectively, it must have some truth to it. And, I'd love to finally truly feel this, honestly.

Since I am an AD Soldier
          Pardon my naiveness, Chief, but I don't speak hooah. What does "AD Soldier" mean in English?

I saw Soldiers getting smoked hard yesterday and realized that never happened to me in the Guard
          Whoa...what do you mean?

Comment

AD=Active duty. I am a full-time, title 10 (federal not state) Soldier.

Smoked=Physical conditioning as a form of punishment due to a negative event. Like I said, I never got punished in that form as an M-day Soldier in the Guard.

Comment

Working...
            X