Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoted By Active Component On Deployment

Just curious.....

To make a long story short, I recently have been domoted from E5-E4 by our Active BN that we are under now for deployment. It is just a small peice of my unit that is attached.

I was charged with a Field Grade Article 15.
    What can I expect the process to be for me to get my rank back? As you all well know what it is like to get promoted in the ARNG vs. the active Army.

Can this stick even when I go back to Title 32?

To be honest, what I did was wrong, but on the other hand I did it for a soldier of mine whom I thought was whole heartedly more deserving than the rank he/she has been stuck in for so long. We have all seen leaders do some things for soldiers that do not deserve the effort, but this soldier is a grade-A professional. I'm not trying to justify compromising my integrity, but in my mind and to others, it was to help my soldier out.

The command justified my illegal action (the ONLY mistake I made in my carreer) as not being an NCO and hit me with a few other things on top of the demotion; (15 days of extra duty, letter of reprimand and the possibility of losing my security clearance). It turns out that they were just butt-hurt over the letter I wrote to my 1SG in a differnt RC about what I REALY thought of the leaders of this unit. But that is a different story.

I would welcome any feedback about what can happen, general or if anything at all positive, when i go back to Gaurd status.

Thanks for any insight,
    Your newly demoted

Re: Demoted By Active Component On Deployment

You can get promoted back but you would have to put your promotion packet in again just like you did the first time. The loss of rank will follow you and possibly any letters of reprimand.

Comment

Originally posted by Zj1 View Post
      Just curious.....

To make a long story short, I recently have been domoted from E5-E4 by our Active BN that we are under now for deployment. It is just a small peice of my unit that is attached.

I was charged with a Field Grade Article 15.
      What can I expect the process to be for me to get my rank back? As you all well know what it is like to get promoted in the ARNG vs. the active Army.

Can this stick even when I go back to Title 32?

To be honest, what I did was wrong, but on the other hand I did it for a soldier of mine whom I thought was whole heartedly more deserving than the rank he/she has been stuck in for so long. We have all seen leaders do some things for soldiers that do not deserve the effort, but this soldier is a grade-A professional. I'm not trying to justify compromising my integrity, but in my mind and to others, it was to help my soldier out.

The command justified my illegal action (the ONLY mistake I made in my carreer) as not being an NCO and hit me with a few other things on top of the demotion; (15 days of extra duty, letter of reprimand and the possibility of losing my security clearance). It turns out that they were just butt-hurt over the letter I wrote to my 1SG in a differnt RC about what I REALY thought of the leaders of this unit. But that is a different story.

I would welcome any feedback about what can happen, general or if anything at all positive, when i go back to Gaurd status.

Thanks for any insight,
      Your newly demoted
      You will compete for promotion once again in time just like you did before. Because you were a NCO when this was imposed what is really important was their filing decision. It will be filed in your OMPF regardless, but hopefully they selected "restricted" filing as to limit its visibilty.

If the letter of reprimand was imposed as a punishment in conjuction with the article 15 that will also be in your OMPF along with the DA 2627, whether in the performance or restricted fiche based of their decisison.

If they imposed the letter of reprimand seperatly as a administrative action and it is NOT signed by a general officer then it remains in your local file and does not follow you home. Once you change GCMCA's it goes away. If it was an administrative letter signed by a general then that can also be filed in your OMPF.

Comment

Also, a few side notes, confirm for me that the Battalion Commander imposed this? Sometimes Majors are company commanders, and while they can impose a Field Grade article 15 they cannot reduce an NCO.

Two, always, and I mean always appeal an article 15 to the next higher authority (unless your punishments were suspended). When you appeal you can't get anything worse then you have, so its worth the shot.

Three, always, and I mean always speak with TDS before chosing to move forward with an article 15.

Comment

Working...
        X