Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

8 1/2 years in Guardsman here, live within 13 to 60 miles to 4 units, but have been driving all over the state of missouri for drill. Have a popular and needed MOS, but am always told there are never any slots open. When you do a regular job search, they will have listings for MOS's for units needed, but always a dead end as well(false advertising). The military is always pushing the 'financial gain' thing and get on you if you eat out or buy a soda, but don't care if you spend 60-90 dollars in gas to get there and back, or wonder why your tired fri-sat morning(could it be everyone got to sleep before drill and alot of us get up at 1-3am to drive there?). Anyone else going through this or getting ready to do this, or anyone know how to get forced into a unit? Hats off and kudos to all you out there in the same boat as me or worse. Hopefully this issue gets fixed for everyone doing this in the future.

Re: Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

This isn't going to go well....

But out of curiosity, what is your MOS?

Comment

Re: Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

I was a 12B in the CTARNG and drilled in the same town that I lived which was Norwalk, CT. Then I switched MOS and had to drive nearly 80 miles to drill. Some weekends I stood at Camp Rowland (now it is called Camp Niantic http://www.courant.com/community/new...,2510864.photo) and sometimes I drove back and forth which totaled 320 miles + for the weekend. I did it for 5 years and it was great.

It all depends on the individual.

Comment

I signed up knowing that I would be driving 130+ miles each way to Drill and do so for most of my career as their are no slots for my MOS where I live. I don't like the drive, but don't hate it either. That said, if you are in a common MOS and have to drive I can understand your displeasure.

Comment

I drive 120 miles one way just to drill for OCS now, and will drive twice that once I get to my unit. I'm willing to do that though for the slot I wanted. It's your career and it is what YOU make of it.

Comment

What did your chain of command tell you when you asked to transfer to a closer unit?

Comment

Driving definitely sucks, but it's part of the job. I've driven no less than 2.5 hours one way for 7 years (since I commissioned) because all the Engineer units in my state are far from where I live. I love being an engineer, and have been fortunate to be a part of great units, so it is what it is. I would love to be closer to home, but it's become part of the routine at this point.

Comment

If it makes y'all feel any better-- Back when I was working in Florida, I used to drive from Key Largo to Birmingham at least once every other month. That's a little over 1000 miles one way. And I wasn't even in the guard.

Commuting between 50 to 100 miles one way for the guard is just an opportunity to listen to some good music downloaded from iTunes for me.

Comment

I don't actually think I have it that bad; one of the other commanders in my BN flies in from New England for drill weekends.

Comment

I drive 101 miles one way, every day to work, in this economy and with the housing situation, you have to do what you have to do.

Comment

I drive 4 hours one-way to Drill monthly. It was that or give up my MI slot. So, yea... sucks but you do what you gotta do at times.

Comment

Aren't these things you can claim on taxes anyway?

Comment

Yup! Anything over 100 miles roundtrip is a write off...

Comment

I drive 5 hours each way. That's life in the Guard.

I vaguely recall knowing where my drilling unit was located when I joined. I don't understand why this is an issue with anybody. If you don't want to make the drive, transfer. If you want to keep your MOS, deal with the drive.

Comment

Hell, I'm trying to get to a unit further away so I can progress my career! I'm in an Infantry BN now, and want to get over to an Artillery BN so I can hopefully end up with command of a Battery. Closest is about 275 miles away. Furthest is 650 miles away.

Comment

Working...
                              X