Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

I went from 45 min to 10 min to 10 min for all my units. Pretty nice being close. Handy if you ever forget something for an inspection or want to sleep in your bed overnight while everyone else is roughing it in bunks. Of course I would never ever sneak out during a lock down.

Comment

Re: Anyone else tired of driving hour and hours to drill when you have units all around you?

Nobody forced you to have to do this.....just saying!

Comment

How do you go about getting that written off?

Comment

IRS Publication 3, Cat. No. 46072M, Armed Forces Tax Guide. As for mileage look to IRS Form 2106.

Comment

This is only if you itemize, correct?

Comment

I think but I am not 100% sure Chief. My tax attorney friend gave me the documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                I think but I am not 100% sure Chief. My tax attorney friend gave me the documents.
                Thank you. And BTW, make sure you do not have any Tea Party affliation lol.

Comment

Too late.... we are on it!

Comment

I had to drive from Jacksonville Florida to Tallahassee for six months because I had just checked into the unit and they wouldn't let me transfer right away. That sucked big time for me at that time. I had to stay in buddies places and all they wanted to do was party so I would drag butt to drill. Lot of fun though, but I was happy when my transfer came through. Much better unit too.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                      Yup! Anything over 100 miles roundtrip is a write off...
                      Damn..I will have to keep this in mind for RSP-O and OCS drives for the next 2 years...

Comment

Based on the topic of this thread; this was a good forum info from the GI rights website.

http://girightshotline.org/en/milita...otect-yourself <--click

Comment

I joined the Guard because the nearest Marine Infantry unit was 13 hours away... I live on an Air Force base and the Guard base is literally 20 feet from Gate 5 Takes me less than 5 minutes to get to drill and I can even ride my bike!

Of course this will probably all change when my wife PCS...

Comment

My unit is located about 70 miles (one way) from my house....and yup, the drive has gotten old. But luckily I only need to make the drive once each month.

Comment

Wow I feel fortunate one im out of basic ill be drilling 10 min from my house

Comment

Normally for our drills we show up at our local armory and board a charter bus, which will drive us 3 hours to Flagstaff. It's not that bad when they play movies on the bus.

Comment

Working...
                                X