X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CAC reader on a macbook pro.....

Eh don't know about 10.7.5 I'm on 10.8.2 downloaded a program called SmartCard Tool from militarycac.com and it pretty much set itself up. Works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Did you get it? I've been SERIOUSLY considering a macbook, and I know it's a hassle. One of my peers has a cac card reader on his mac, and I've seen him do it...so I too know it's possible....even though I've heard stories that it's a PIA.
      If it's a hassle, why would you pay an "Apple" premium for the product? That seems counter to the whole "intuitive" theme used to describe Apple...

I have never purchased an Apple product besides the iPod. At its price point, it simply does not deliver any justifiable value.

GSM Phones - Flagship platform

Unlocked iPhone 5 greater than $650 (not accounting for state sales tax)
      Unlocked Google Nexus 4 less than $350

Laptops

Apple is almost a 2x premium over a similarly optioned laptop such as a Lenovo T430/530 or Dell Latitude E64xx/65xx. Why would I pay double the amount to be completely disadvantaged at 1. compatibility 2. development options?

Simply looking "nice" just doesn't cut it for me in most cases with the exception being women - I judge that book by its cover and never bother to read the content.
      Last edited by Polo08816; November 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        I want to at least have cac log in capability on my mac, and I know it can be done.
        I have personally assisted MAC users with the instructions on militarycac.com to get it to work. Remember certificates and safari settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          Did you get it? I've been SERIOUSLY considering a macbook, and I know it's a hassle. One of my peers has a cac card reader on his mac, and I've seen him do it...so I too know it's possible....even though I've heard stories that it's a PIA.
          you could always vmware a computer and install MacOS on it and have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            If it's a hassle, why would you pay an "Apple" premium for the product? That seems counter to the whole "intuitive" theme used to describe Apple...

I have never purchased an Apple product besides the iPod. At its price point, it simply does not deliver any justifiable value.

GSM Phones - Flagship platform

Unlocked iPhone 5 greater than $650 (not accounting for state sales tax)
            Unlocked Google Nexus 4 less than $350

Laptops

Apple is almost a 2x premium over a similarly optioned laptop such as a Lenovo T430/530 or Dell Latitude E64xx/65xx. Why would I pay double the amount to be completely disadvantaged at 1. compatibility 2. development options?

Simply looking "nice" just doesn't cut it for me in most cases with the exception being women - I judge that book by its cover and never bother to read the content.
            I switched from a regular laptop to a macbook pro about a year ago. Well worth the price, best decision I have ever made. It never freezes like all windows computers do. This cac issue, has been my only issue, but again its the governments fault

I am 75% there.

Comment

I switched from a regular laptop to a macbook pro about a year ago. Well worth the price, best decision I have ever made. It never freezes like all windows computers do. This cac issue, has been my only issue, but again its the governments fault

I am 75% there.
              lol. Well, with the push to cloud computer, I am not going to knock the security the government is implementing. Just like the old adage, "the Army did not issue you a family"; well, you could of stood with Windows and not MAC and be hucky dory lol. But I do see alot of open source going to be taken on by the goverment to save costs.

Did you read, if the government now goes with gold coins instead of printing bills; it can save billions! lol

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                lol. Well, with the push to cloud computer, I am not going to knock the security the government is implementing. Just like the old adage, "the Army did not issue you a family"; well, you could of stood with Windows and not MAC and be hucky dory lol. But I do see alot of open source going to be taken on by the goverment to save costs.

Did you read, if the government now goes with gold coins instead of printing bills; it can save billions! lol
                The Army's entire IT infrastructure is a joke. Basically, it's patch on top of patch. There comes a point when you just need to come back to the drawing board and re-design it from ground up.

you could always vmware a computer and install MacOS on it and have the best of both worlds.
                The best solution is to dual-boot. There are tons of reasons why I never want to run a VM if I do not have to use it. Performance is the biggest reason, but there's also the great potential for a VM to not resolve whatever device-driver issue a host is having.

I am 75% there.
                The epic fail Windows versions are the following: Windows ME and Windows Vista. Windows XP is decently stable. Windows 7 is rock solid. I would say that my total time of utilizing Windows 7 per week (including work + home) is around 80. I've gone weeks without experiencing any OS level crashes.

Comment

Worse case scenario I boot camp it, I just don't want to. The pros destroy the cons when talking about Mac.

Comment

I seriously doubt that. I'm a proponent of open source but I just don't see it happening. The reason is that open source will actually increase the costs in the short term. You have to build libraries, utilities, functions, etc. from scratch to support your goals if you develop from an open source model.

The government could save trillions just simply by administering an IQ test where you have to score a minimum of 100 to work for government.

Comment

I wouldn't boot camp it.... that is a twiggy feature to begin with. CaCs do work, you just have to play with it.

For ex, I can login to AKO, but it gives an error after i submit my creds. When I refresh safari, its goes straight in... go fig.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                        I wouldn't boot camp it.... that is a twiggy feature to begin with. CaCs do work, you just have to play with it.

For ex, I can login to AKO, but it gives an error after i submit my creds. When I refresh safari, its goes straight in... go fig.
                        And if he wants to use Lotus Forms Viewer and Approve It, your suggestion is?

The trouble you go through just to make Army functionality work on an OS X machine is far more effort than is needed to dual-boot and install Windows 7.

Comment

Well, when I get a form that won't go over to PDF, I use the PureEdge app for Mac... You got me on Approve It. I know what it is, but the average troop isn't going to use that on a daily basis.

However, I can digitally sign stuff with Adobe on my Mac, so well, guess I just answered my own question.

Comment

There was a Mountain Lion update a few days ago. Once I installed that my CAC reader started working all of a sudden. I followed the instruction on Military CAC and was able to get all the way to the login for AKO in Firefox. However, when I typed in my PIN (and in 100% sure i had it right) it rejected it 3 times and locked my CAC.

I ended up ordering a copy of Windows 7 to run botcamp on one of my machines. Hoepfully it will be here soon so I can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
                              There was a Mountain Lion update a few days ago. Once I installed that my CAC reader started working all of a sudden. I followed the instruction on Military CAC and was able to get all the way to the login for AKO in Firefox. However, when I typed in my PIN (and in 100% sure i had it right) it rejected it 3 times and locked my CAC.

I ended up ordering a copy of Windows 7 to run botcamp on one of my machines. Hoepfully it will be here soon so I can do that.
                              You know you could just download Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturer) for free online, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                                You know you could just download Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturer) for free online, right?
                                Post a link.

Comment

Working...
                                X