X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet overseas

I've been there and of course the connectivity stunk! We were in a very established place that had been using it for years and it still stunk. Paying extra money to have it go faster didnt really notice a difference. We would be sitting around talking about past experiences and some of the 'guys' that had been deployed before spoke about setting up their own system and not relying on what was provided. Anyone have any info on this. My idea is, we get notified so far out now....what prevents a unit from holding fund raisers to get this equipment for us to take with us and set up ourselves? I remember when we would sit around and talk in the evenings, that it was really pricey and that was a hold up for them getting the equipment. Well knowing far enough in advance could solve that problem. Anyone purchase their own internet equipment to use over there? Thoughts?

Re: Internet overseas

I was on an ADT last year and we bought a stand alone system from the previous team. I want to say it was around $5k or so, and that was just for the hardware. We didn't have any fundraisers, but we just ponied up some money up front to get it.

There were about 52 people on the ground and I believe we paid about $70 a month (each) for satellite access. We had to reset the dish a few times after some nearby IDF knocked it around a bit.

It worked pretty well, except there were guys who wanted to download two or three movies at a time, or those who had an iPad, a computer, and an xbox all going at the same time.

I think it was a pretty good deal and we didn't have to mess with whatever wireless system the FOB provided.

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
      I've been there and of course the connectivity stunk! We were in a very established place that had been using it for years and it still stunk. Paying extra money to have it go faster didnt really notice a difference. We would be sitting around talking about past experiences and some of the 'guys' that had been deployed before spoke about setting up their own system and not relying on what was provided. Anyone have any info on this. My idea is, we get notified so far out now....what prevents a unit from holding fund raisers to get this equipment for us to take with us and set up ourselves? I remember when we would sit around and talk in the evenings, that it was really pricey and that was a hold up for them getting the equipment. Well knowing far enough in advance could solve that problem. Anyone purchase their own internet equipment to use over there? Thoughts?
      Where and what exactly are we talking about with "fundraising"?

Comment

The people that were telling stories of it ponied up. I was thinking actual fund raising. I understand there are regulations that go with that. I've never seen them so I cant say much about it currently. I'd look into the local and national regs on it and take it from there.

My first thoughts were the American Legion and those type of groups. Then also unit volunteers doing a service or selling goods. I just found what TAG Policy Letter it is in and might have time to look today but probably not until Monday.
        Last edited by WIBecky74; October 26th, 2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

When I was in Iraq in 2005, bandwidth was similar to dial-up and super slow and very costly. Afghanistan in 2009 was ok and I was in a hardstand and a morale net was setup that you basically pay 100 bucks a month so you can SKYPE.

I am on JAF now connected via SniperHill which works with hard line and wireless. Different plans for different speeds.

http://www.sniperhill.net/ <--click that link

When I was at Bagram a couple of years ago; we use to help units in remote FOBs and COPs get SPAWAR. Here is the link.

https://www.spawarcafes.net/faq/how-...fe-afghanistan

How does my unit request an Internet Cafe in Afghanistan?

If there are no existing cafes on your base or if the population in the area has increased so that existing cafe support is insufficient, the first step in the process is to request the camp mayor cell complete an application.
          MWR and USFOR-A have adopted an "open community" model requiring each site to be accessible by all eligible users (U.S. military, DoD civilians, and DOD contractor personnel). We do not currently provide "closed-community" Internet access in Afghanistan (Internet and phone service to individual units).
          To establish a new site, the camp mayor cell should submit a SPAWAR Internet Cafe Request Formto the USFOR-A MWR Director, Mr. Mark Wheeler, (via SIPR), who will validate it. After request validation, the cafe delivery will be scheduled. There is no cost for setting up the site. Those costs are borne by the sponsor. We are currently targeting new cafes at remote locations where no connectivity exists.

What they sell mostly on my base is satellite TV for a setup of 200 bucks and 20 dollars a month and you can have many movie channels.

Comment

Also, units will have their own VSATs and if it was not being used; it will get setup as a morale net but most systems block out port 80 so you cant really surf; just get to sites that allow HTTPS but you still can get to Facebook and your banking websites.

Comment

We bought our own sat from a unit that was leaving and then everyone in the unit that wanted in on it split the cost.

Comment

Working...
              X