X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Thanks To Everyone On The Forum

I want to thank everyone on the forum for all your help when I was enlisting 2 years ago at age 36. As it now happens, I am going to be discharged due to injury. In the last two months, I severely aggravated an injury in my arm (that I received at BCT) while drilling with the OCS candidates and have completely torn the ligament away from my elbow. After this occurred in July, I also ended up having unexpected, emergency abdominal surgery.

Unfortunately, my NCOIC does not feel that I will be completely healed and ready for training before I would need to ship by my 2 year anniversary date. I disagreed but, regardless, my NCOIC forwarded my PRL’s and medical records to MEPS. Friday I was informed that MEPS agrees with my NCOIC and has recommended discharge with no waiver approved at this time.

I have been told that my discharge will be characterized as ‘honorable’ (as opposed to “uncharacterized”) with a RE3.

I have not lost hope as I have already spoken with an Air Guard recruiter and he is going to attempt a transfer as opposed to a re-enlistment. In any case, he said they are taking applicants up to age 40 and can work with anything except RE4. I’m sure the time it will take to process everything will be time well needed to heal up and become strong again.

I have even looked into my State’s VDF. It is certainly not my first choice as a means to serve and although getting paid would be nice, for me, it has never been about the money. If the only way I can continue to do my part is for free, then so be it.

Thank you everyone for your advice and words of encouragement through the difficult times. The day I enlisted and graduated were the proudest days of my life and I only wish I could have had a longer service within the National Guard. Perhaps I will find a second chance with the Air Guard.

Stay Safe to everyone who is in and Good Luck to everyone who is trying to get there.

Re: A Big Thanks To Everyone On The Forum

Good luck, just make sure you are healed before you do anything that could further aggravate your injury.

Comment

Wow Chris, sorry to hear about this crazy turn of events. It really has been great getting to see you transform from citizen to Soldier over the past couple years. I wish you the best with future endeavors. Stick around on the forum...you'll miss it if you dont

Comment

Never give up! HOOAH! When you come back you can become a Chaplain Assistant!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          Never give up! HOOAH! When you come back you can become a Chaplain Assistant!!
          That is actually what I told my recruiter 2 years ago when I first enlisted; he said there were no openings in our state!

Comment

Popular MOS! I'm convinced you'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
              Popular MOS! I'm convinced you'll be back.
              Well, I can't come back to the Army National Guard because I am 38 now.

Comment

They will change the reqs....they always do. You never know about the future. They have Chaplain Assistants in the Air Guard too!!!!!!

Comment

So sorry, Chris, to hear the outcome. At least you can now move forward instead of waiting for MEPS to respond. Good luck in all your future endeavors! Let us know how things go with the Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    I want to thank everyone on the forum for all your help when I was enlisting 2 years ago at age 36. As it now happens, I am going to be discharged due to injury. In the last two months, I severely aggravated an injury in my arm (that I received at BCT) while drilling with the OCS candidates and have completely torn the ligament away from my elbow. After this occurred in July, I also ended up having unexpected, emergency abdominal surgery.

Unfortunately, my NCOIC does not feel that I will be completely healed and ready for training before I would need to ship by my 2 year anniversary date. I disagreed but, regardless, my NCOIC forwarded my PRL’s and medical records to MEPS. Friday I was informed that MEPS agrees with my NCOIC and has recommended discharge with no waiver approved at this time.

I have been told that my discharge will be characterized as ‘honorable’ (as opposed to “uncharacterized”) with a RE3.

I have not lost hope as I have already spoken with an Air Guard recruiter and he is going to attempt a transfer as opposed to a re-enlistment. In any case, he said they are taking applicants up to age 40 and can work with anything except RE4. I’m sure the time it will take to process everything will be time well needed to heal up and become strong again.

I have even looked into my State’s VDF. It is certainly not my first choice as a means to serve and although getting paid would be nice, for me, it has never been about the money. If the only way I can continue to do my part is for free, then so be it.

Thank you everyone for your advice and words of encouragement through the difficult times. The day I enlisted and graduated were the proudest days of my life and I only wish I could have had a longer service within the National Guard. Perhaps I will find a second chance with the Air Guard.

Stay Safe to everyone who is in and Good Luck to everyone who is trying to get there.
                    You need to make sure there is an LOD done and if this is really service unfitting you need to make sure you are put through the MEB process.....do not let them just separate you. There is potentially thousands and thousands of dollars at stake for Army and VA disablity payment.s

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      You need to make sure there is an LOD done and if this is really service unfitting you need to make sure you are put through the MEB process.....do not let them just separate you. There is potentially thousands and thousands of dollars at stake for Army and VA disablity payment.s
                      I have been told there is no LOD because I never went to sick call at BCT. When I began having pain in Week 9 I never saw anyone or told a DS (we had been told, true or not, that if we were on profile we would NOT graduate) and I was due to graduate an Honor Grad so there was NO WAY I was not graduating. I just sucked it up and dought treatment when I returned. My NCOIC said the Sick Cal visit would have been the LOD and there would not be an investigation as too many soldiers come back from BCT, THEN get hurt and try to claim VA benefits. So since I was not seen at BCT or told a DS, I am SOL.

I was also told I cannot have a MEB as those are only for soldiers who have completed their training. I work for Veterans' Services for my civilian job and I am being advised to apply anyway but as for the LOD and MEB, my NCIOC says I am SOL (so to speak).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                        I have been told there is no LOD because I never went to sick call at BCT. When I began having pain in Week 9 I never saw anyone or told a DS (we had been told, true or not, that if we were on profile we would NOT graduate) and I was due to graduate an Honor Grad so there was NO WAY I was not graduating. I just sucked it up and dought treatment when I returned. My NCOIC said the Sick Cal visit would have been the LOD and there would not be an investigation as too many soldiers come back from BCT, THEN get hurt and try to claim VA benefits. So since I was not seen at BCT or told a DS, I am SOL.

I was also told I cannot have a MEB as those are only for soldiers who have completed their training. I work for Veterans' Services for my civilian job and I am being advised to apply anyway but as for the LOD and MEB, my NCIOC says I am SOL (so to speak).
                        Post re inserted. Information Verified.

Thats wonderful that your NCOIC has added his two cents. Fortunatley for you he has no say and nothing to do with the MEB/PEB process. That is determined by a military healthcare professional. If you currently have this injury, what kind of profile do you have? If they are wanting to seperate you based of an injury you sustained at training, and they are saying you are medically unfit for service, then you need to see whatever military doc signs your profile and start asking to be reffered to the MEB. If they are not reffering you to the MEB, then you must be fit for duty and I see no reason for discharge based of this events.

Ask then what chapter and narrative reason for seperation they will be using.

The VA Claim will simoultaneously be made when going through the MEB.

Also, there is no "transfer" to the Air Guard...it essentially will be a reenlistment should it happen.
                        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 1st, 2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Soldiers in the training pipeline don't get the same treatment. If MEPS docs say discharge, that's what happens. Especially since there is no documented training injury. Sucks for sure, but she is still under enlistment standards since she isn't fully qualified.

Comment

Soldiers injured at basic and then discharged have to go through the VA, not the guard in their state.

Comment

I was told I am being discharged because even though my profiles are "temporary", I need surgery on my arm and apparently it is not anticipated that I will be 100% by the time I need to ship prior to my 2 year anniversary date (24FEB12). My NCOIC said he did not want to risk booking me a seat and then, if unable to ship, they are stuck paying for that slot. So rather than book me a future AIT slot (say January?) he forwarded my profiles to MEPS to be reviewed and told me, even prior to sending them, to expect discharge.

I was told that because I have not completed my training, as an entry level soldier, that I cannot request an MEB and any such request will be denied. I was also told that the LOD is the visit to Sick Call and since that never took place, any request to pursue an LOD through investigation would be denied. Even if I HAD mentioned it to my DSs (which I did not) they were all on their last cycle so none of the are even still at Fort Sill.

As for the "transfer", those are the recruiters words, not mine but I am not bothered WHAT it would be called as long as I can try to still serve.

Comment

Working...
                              X