X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really a question...

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jaye and I am currently in the middle of an enlistment for the AL National Guard. Let me give you some back story. Back in December of 2011, I decided I wanted to join the NG. At 313 lbs that was not an option. Keep in mind, I'm a former football offensive guard and currently play rugby. After months of dieting, running and rucking, fast forward to today and I weigh under 250 and taped at 22% BF. I lost around 65 lbs for this dream of mine. I planned on enlisting as an 09S since I have a bachelor's degree from Auburn University and am half way through a MBA. But a teenie misdemeanor in 2002 TDQ'ed me until I can get an NGB waiver. So I was going to enlist as a 25U and put in an OCS packet later. I said was because when I went to MEPS, I passed everything with flying colors...even tape..except blood pressure. My BP is usually 127-135/79-85. That day it shot to 154/90. Another PDQ. I did the two day reading and the average was 141/81. One point over the standard. I thought my chances were all but dashed but my recruiter said he would send a waiver to the NGB. Any of you guys have to deal with a BP waiver? I really want to join the NG. Its really about serving my community and nation and not about benefits, pay, or "being cool." I want to do something that will better me in the long run. As it stands today, its been 15 working days waiting on the waiver. In the mean time, I'm going to keep working, learning from this forum, and PT-ing like I leave for Basic tomorrow. After a while of lurking, I figured I'd start contributing the best I can. Thanks for taking the time out to read.

SPC (hopefully) Slim

Re: Not really a question...

Everything else aside, losing 63 pounds is no easy task. Congrats on that. Best of luck.

Comment

I appreciate it. It took a lot of work and dedication.

Comment

What unit are you trying get in? I'm in Dothan about to go to the 1/131st Cav

Comment

Det 2 Group Support for 20th SF. Out of Birmingham.

Comment

Im in Birmingham also, My recruiter is in "10 I C" lol Nashville.

Comment

Just wanted to let you guys know, I enlisted today. Going 12N until I can get my OCS packet ready. I ship to Fort Leonard Wood in November (burrr). It is an honor to be among your ranks. And now Farm, you can no longer call me a poser.

Comment

Congratulations, and great job on getting in shape. That is a huge accomplishment in itself. Now get ready for basic by learning the Army Values, customs and courtesies, general orders and anything else you can get your hands on. Every little bit will make BCT that much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
                  Congratulations, and great job on getting in shape. That is a huge accomplishment in itself. Now get ready for basic by learning the Army Values, customs and courtesies, general orders and anything else you can get your hands on. Every little bit will make BCT that much easier.
                  Thank you LT. I've been learning the Soldiers Creed, Army Values, Rank&Structure, etc since around April. My recruiter gave me a RSP Battle Book today, so Im about to dive into that. Thanks for the sound advice.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                    Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jaye and I am currently in the middle of an enlistment for the AL National Guard.
                    Is this Jaye from over at GDS? This is Josh, a fellow GDS blogger. Glad to see you got things worked out!

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
                      Is this Jaye from over at GDS? This is Josh, a fellow GDS blogger. Glad to see you got things worked out!
                      Yep. Guilty as charged. I sent you a FB message, but you never responded. Since Im actually in now, Ive gotta start posting more over there. Just dont know what to cover thats not already been touched on.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                        Yep. Guilty as charged. I sent you a FB message, but you never responded. Since Im actually in now, Ive gotta start posting more over there. Just dont know what to cover thats not already been touched on.
                        I'm sorry. I never saw a facebook message from you, otherwise I would have replied.

Comment

Working...
                        X