X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

Yes, the hospitals are/were so unsanitary. One of the SLs in my platoon went to local hospital after his gunner shot an Iraqi. I followed and that stuff that I saw was hideous.

This is a view of the streets that I patrolled and that is me looking out the window of my humvee.

Comment

Got some pictures on this site of Kuwait, Saudi in Al Khafji, Suez Canal,
      This link is of Kuwait pics I took there. Trying to figure out how to load a pic here.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/66e8c/ba1/

This attached photo taken going through Suez Canal. We took Marines to Saudi in 1990, picked them up in Rota Spain. These guys were kind enough to pose for a picture. Didn't make it to SOF magazine, however, I still cherish it. Here is a better link to this picture, where you can blow up and see their faces.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/66e8c/de1/
      Last edited by marinecomm; May 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	917a9e3151a9468e9d6a8d41c6ed9087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	418 Did this load?

Comment

Khafji....

Name:	25bcb0661fa0677f1a0193ac49881027.jpg
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	419

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post

Name:	917a9e3151a9468e9d6a8d41c6ed9087.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	418 Did this load?
            Yes, it did. I use photobucket and use the IMG link to paste into my post. That way, the picture comes out normal size.

Comment

I have two combat deployments with the Marines and my reason for wanting to deploy again is simple - I enjoy it. I'm not war addicted, I don't relish in the thought of taking life, but when I'm overseas making a difference (I know, debatable) I really feel like I'm doing something with my life and making myself a better man and American.

I also have a little motto of "Someone has to go, might as well be me."

Pay doesn't hurt, either.

Comment

CPL,

Aren't you non-deployable for four years due to college first? I am part of a division that is closing down one of their BCTs so that brigade is no longer deploying to Afghanistan but I still am. I leave in about 7-9 months.

Comment

I hope I never deploy. Hell. I hope I can not go to drills and hopefully be separated from the god-forsaken army.

Comment

I turned down deployment in 2010 due to college first. I regret it because now everyone around me has a badge. Am I badge hunting? No, but I do feel a little less of a soldier.

Right now job options for me suck, so if I could deploy with a CAB, or maybe some JF mission it would be great. I'm still trying to complete college though so I can commission and hopefully go AD, so my wishes are kind of counter-productive. I also hear that promotions run rampant overseas, and I really wish I could push for E-5 before I put on a butterbar.

But I'm old enough to not want to rush into a building or kick down doors, but I would still would like the experience for my development, both professionally and financially.

I feel like this post doesn't make a lot of sense....or maybe it does. I'm sure somebody will chime in either way.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                      I don't always eat surf and turf but when I can't I eat MREs.......stay hungry my friends
                      wow! I just had a flashback to the first time I ate MREs. I had eaten C-rations one time, and all of a sudden here was this food in a pouch. Spaghetti and Meatballs!! ooooh! actually not too bad, because I was hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
                        I also hear that promotions run rampant overseas.
                        May I quote from Austin Powers in Goldfinger? "ummmmm, how 'bout, 'no'."

Comment

Let's be realistic here. I think it's the pay. There's nothing wrong in serving your country and get compensations from it.

Comment

Originally posted by chinorange View Post
                            Let's be realistic here. I think it's the pay. There's nothing wrong in serving your country and get compensations from it.
                            Yep. At this point it is the pay. If this weren't an official NG website I would elaborate. Although I'm sure y'all know what I'm hinting towards.

Comment

The pay is really nice for many if not the large majority of soldiers who deploy. I came back from my first deployment with 20k in the bank and I'll have nearly 30k saved after this one. Its too easy to save a ton of money while deployed. However its even easier for soldiers to blow it all once they get back. In addition the GI bill benefits you earn during deployment or with multiple deployments sweetens the deal. The experience you get during deployment is invaluable, and a huge career booster if you are squared away. All that said I am SO DAMN HAPPY that I am leaving Afghanistan in less than 10 days!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
                                \ I also hear that promotions run rampant overseas, and I really wish I could push for E-5 before I put on a butterbar.
                                Not the case at all. Promotions overseas are based on slots available back in the states. Just because a unit is deployed does not mean they can promote a bunch of E-4's without a slot in their MOS somewhere in their state. What you do see though are many people getting promoted while deployed and staying in that spot or position because after all, where are they going to go? For instance, in my platoon one squad leader made E-7, two team leaders made E-6, two joes made E-5. It was the natural progression of their career and they all accepted slots in a different unit within our state but because we are deployed they stay with us till the end. The promotion was not handed to them simply because they are deployed. As soon as we get back they head to their new assignments. Our company XO made O-3, our 1SG made E-9, about six soldiers made E-5 and 4 made E-6. Nearly all are going to a different company when we get home.

Comment

Working...
                                X