X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

I thought it would be interesting to get a young buck's point of view, so here's mine:

I'm still going through the enlistment process, but everything is just about to be set in stone. I am enlisting as an 11B, but not for the typical reasons I hear from other recruits my age (i.e. "I want to kill people" or the classic "I want to blow $#!@ up".)

I don't necessarily want to deploy, however I will have no problem doing so when I get that eventual notice. This Nation has spoiled me, and I want to repay that debt and ensure that others will get the same privileges I've had growing up. Just knowing that I will be ready and on-call when my Nation needs me will be enough to satisfy my craving to be a warrior.

Comment

Very admirable. Although, honestly, as far as "repayment" goes you are in actuality renumerated fairly handsomly commensurate with your abilities. It's a volunteer Army, but you don't in actuality volunteer.

Comment

Excellent response from a young man.

Comment

I was looking at an publication article today which said how many of our state's soldiers are deployed. It was under 100. I was surprised....the only way you may be deployed is to volunteer or get some type of title 10 orders....wow, the wars are almost over.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            I was looking at an publication article today which said how many of our state's soldiers are deployed. It was under 100. I was surprised....the only way you may be deployed is to volunteer or get some type of title 10 orders....wow, the wars are almost over.
            All deployments are title 10 orders

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              All deployments are title 10 orders
              I meant stateside.....sorry. Or sever in one of the other types of capacities. Okay lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                Nice 1st post. Epic fail.
                I would bury my head in shame too after a post like that, or maybe it was a 'one hit wonder'

Comment

Deployment is something you endure, not something to look forward to. Deployment means that not just you, but those around you could find yourselves in harms way and bad things can happen. I know a lot of people that have CABs and CIBs, and it is not the be all of the military to have them. Nobody should want to deploy in order to get a badge or a patch. While there are reasons some of us step up to go on deployments, getting badges is probably the farthest thing on most of our minds and if it is their reason for wanting to go, I hope they don't go with me.

Comment

Here goes my 2 cents: My father did his part in artillery, I am extremely patriotic, my wife supports it fully, as her brother is with the Indiana Guard. I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, to do MY part. Deploying is part of that. I accept it fully. It won't be easy on myself or anyone that I love, being gone, but I am honored to be a part of the US military.

Comment

Tyler, your main goal in life is to get a CAB or CIB? I'm not sure how to respond to that other than rationalizing that humans under the age of 22 don't have their frontal cortex fully formed yet. I can't help but appreciate your zeal nonetheless.

PS: Looks like I'll be deploying AGAIN in August...and I don't "really want to", but I will.

Comment

Amen on the CAB and CIB response. I just found out that more of my platoon mates I went to Iraq with are medically retired. I found out yesterday my former driver (I posted some pics of him and I on here) got TBI on his last tour; walks with a cane and now has a 100% disability from the VA.

I commend these young kids stepping up but it is not a video game at all. War is ugly.

God Speed LT and according to the patch chart, I should be back here to close this place down. I have 16 to 30 days left over here and it is dreadful to know that you are coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                          Tyler, your main goal in life is to get a CAB or CIB? I'm not sure how to respond to that other than rationalizing that humans under the age of 22 don't have their frontal cortex fully formed yet. I can't help but appreciate your zeal nonetheless.

PS: Looks like I'll be deploying AGAIN in August...and I don't "really want to", but I will.
                          Yes, Godspeed. Keep your head down and stay safe.

Comment

I have recently gotten with a recruiter so that I may join the TXARNG, I am mainly interested in proudly representing and serving my country in however I can be useful. I am interested in going in as 11B because that is what I've always wanted to do (since before any war started). I have always wanted to join and have constantly put it off as I've grown up (28 now) and taken on a lot of responsibilities (i.e. marriage, student loans, car loans and a full time job). As far as deployment goes, I am not enlisting with that as my goal; however, I am enlisting with an open mind and willing to deploy if I'm assigned to do so.

Comment

So, you know that brief decade between Desert Storm and 9/11? Yea, I was wading through that pool Active Duty. Constant training, training, training. Being trained by the Desert Storm vets. Wondering ... could I do it? My confidence was shook. It finally happened with 3d ID crossing the border into Iraq 2003. It was pure hell. After that year long battle/battle/battle - I got out to go to ARNG to find a cushy job (yea, right, Infantry - combat arms/cushy doesn't mix). Heck, they never deploy. Oh, guess what ... 2004, we got orders and I'm back in 2005. OK, that's "should" be it. I wanna go to my monthly drills and focus on my civilian career. Nope --- 2009/10 --- Afghanistan. Gawd, this sux ... oh no ... back again OEF 2011/2012. So, yea, I get it - I wanted to deploy to test myself and it was a good experience. I can bring that initial experience to my Soldiers. I never expected to bring my final years experiences to my Soldiers. Now I hear - an opportunity for the last pay grade - with a twist - gotta deploy again. ... oh, yea, my wife is a Saint.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                                I commend these young kids stepping up but it is not a video game at all. War is ugly.
                                I'm a Platoon Sergeant in a MP Company preparing for deployment next Spring. I wear a CIB, and my kids ask why I don't wear a CAB. I tell them I have one of those, too. They also know that I'm a former Marine Desert Storm vet, and they ask if I have a Combat Action Ribbon (CAR), which I do. They think I'm a walking giant (although I am 6'7", but that's not the point!).

The real point is, I've fired more shots in garrison (2) than I have in combat (0).

I tell my troops all the time that combat is all about not screwing up so everyone can get back in one piece. Rarely is there any clarity to it, and you just hope you don't hose something up where someone gets hurt. All they think about is the new Call of Duty and how cool it will be to "shoot something for real!"

At this point in my career, my biggest effort is to pass along lessons learned to these youngsters, where if they find themselves in a situation, it will not seem it's their first time there: hopefully something we've simulated in training will flash in their minds and they will do the right thing without hesitating.

To the OP, badges are a pain to get centered and level, and it's not the end-all, be-all, of being a veteran. It's passing on those experiences to those who haven't been there that counts.

Comment

Working...
                                X