Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
    You should have seen my boss's face this week when I told him the dates for AT.
    AT can be inconvenient for employers. I stand corrected.

Originally posted by SSG Schneider View Post
    I second this. Regardless of skills, when you need to request off multiple Friday's for MUTA-6s, a 3-week XCTC, and a week-long phase one ALC all in ONE calendar year, the employer tends to get a bit frustrated, and rightly so.
    If your state has the funding for all that, hats off to you!

Fortunately, an active secret security clearance was a condition for employment and my employer understands that I would not have had that without serving in the National Guard. We pay extremely well for an entry level position (better than Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.) and we still can't find enough qualified candidates! We're extremely flexible as well! Heck, everyone comes into work with t-shirts, shorts, flip flops, etc.

As for the reason I would want to deploy, to have the privilege of leading Infantrymen and to get that Post 9/11 GI Bill to use on a MBA program (top 10 or bust). Post 9/11 + Yellow Ribbon = the t i t s.
    Last edited by Polo08816; July 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

For me it would be for the service and the experience...both life and military. Right now I'm hoping to do 20 in the Guard, so that would be helpful. Also, since I'm planning on carrying my MOS over to the civilian working world it would be great 'on the job' experience.

Aside from that, I'm single (though attached) with no children. While my boyfriend has already expressed he is not interested in me volunteering for anything, if me stepping up to go would mean that one of you AD guys who is on deployment #3 gets to go home to their family then to me that would mean a lot. Or if it would prevent another AD guy from having to go again.

Comment

You should have seen my boss's face this week when I told him the dates for AT.
        Well Thank God they aren't looking for ways to fire you!

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
          Well Thank God they aren't looking for ways to fire you!
          The conversation was something like, "We knew you were in the National Guard, but do you really have to go away for two weeks?" I wasn't about to apologize because I love what I do in the Guard.

Yes, when I joined the Guard my employer did fire me, though it was an organization associated with my church so I didn't sue them since I am also endorsed by the same organization.

Comment

The conversation was something like, "We knew you were in the National Guard, but do you really have to go away for two weeks?" I wasn't about to apologize because I love what I do in the Guard.

Yes, when I joined the Guard my employer did fire me, though it was an organization associated with my church so I didn't sue them since I am also endorsed by the same organization.
            Thats weird but oh well as long as everything is going well for you

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              AT can be inconvenient for employers. I stand corrected.

If your state has the funding for all that, hats off to you!

Yeah, they cut my phase 2 ALC and stated that there were insufficient funds, so I think it's finally catching up to Illinois. Or, like all great Illinoisians in a position of politics or power, they're writing bad checks and/or shuffling money around with IOUs.

Comment

Originally posted by SSG Schneider View Post
                Yeah, they cut my phase 2 ALC and stated that there were insufficient funds, so I think it's finally catching up to Illinois. Or, like all great Illinoisians in a position of politics or power, they're writing bad checks and/or shuffling money around with IOUs.
                (sigh). It's a sign of the times. The drawdown is happening as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  (sigh). It's a sign of the times. The drawdown is happening as we speak.
                  The Chinese have a saying and that is " May you live in interesting times ". We are certaintly living in interesting times indeed!

Comment

I want to deploy because I didn't join the Infantry to sit on my ass for 6 years, I didn't join to go on peace-keeping missions. Yes I know Active would have been a better option overall but at 17 my parents wanted me to go to college. I want to do my job atleast once, Send me over to do what I was trained to do, Iraq is over and Afghanistan is winding down. To be here at WLC and not been deployed puts me in a minority and that only makes me want to go more. I am 20 years old and will have my E-5 within 6 months and I hate being in charge of soldiers that have been to war and not having the experience they do.

Comment

I want to deploy because I joined the Army thinking that's what I thought I would do. I too joined the reserves because my mom flipped at the idea of me going active, so now i'm still in college, hate it, but i'm passing and plan on commissioning as an infantry officer when I graduate even if I have to extend my contract for them to give me infantry since everyone wants to commission inf.

I get so jealous seeing all of my friends joining the military and BAM they get deployed! I won best warrior for my btn in the reserves, 3rd at bde. I always get 300s, so I transferred to the guard because there was no way for me to go active unless i did 18x, ( eventually I will try out for sf, but I didnt want to quit college just yet since im not failing) So I transferred to the guard as 11b into c trp 3/108 cav lrs, cant get reclassed until january since my unit is in kosovo right now. and since im not reclassed yet, i cant go Ranger, ABN, or Pathfinder, which half of my company is at right now.... !!!!!!
                      I could care less about the money, I know I would do well in a combat situation, I stay on top of my training because I want to be ready when I do get the chance, its an honor thing for me. If I could jsut deploy, get a cab or cib, my main goal in life would be complete. I feel like a douche when civilians thank me for being in the Army, and I havent even deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Couey View Post
                        I want to deploy because I joined the Army thinking that's what I thought I would do. I too joined the reserves because my mom flipped at the idea of me going active, so now i'm still in college, hate it, but i'm passing and plan on commissioning as an infantry officer when I graduate even if I have to extend my contract for them to give me infantry since everyone wants to commission inf.

I get so jealous seeing all of my friends joining the military and BAM they get deployed! I won best warrior for my btn in the reserves, 3rd at bde. I always get 300s, so I transferred to the guard because there was no way for me to go active unless i did 18x, ( eventually I will try out for sf, but I didnt want to quit college just yet since im not failing) So I transferred to the guard as 11b into c trp 3/108 cav lrs, cant get reclassed until january since my unit is in kosovo right now. and since im not reclassed yet, i cant go Ranger, ABN, or Pathfinder, which half of my company is at right now.... !!!!!!
                        I could care less about the money, I know I would do well in a combat situation, I stay on top of my training because I want to be ready when I do get the chance, its an honor thing for me. If I could jsut deploy, get a cab or cib, my main goal in life would be complete. I feel like a douche when civilians thank me for being in the Army, and I havent even deployed.
                        Very dangerous mindset, one that shows you are still young and inexperienced.

Comment

Listen to me. Getting a CAB or CIB is not a goal. Serving honorably is. Some get them, some don't. You may feel like a douche when you are in that thank you situation, but don't do things that make you sound like one also. You are not a ninja, and the Army is not a place for badge hunters. Complete your training and focus on trying to be a good leader.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                            You are not a ninja.
                            Absolutely the best advice ParalegalNCO1 has EVER given on the forum!!!!

Yeah, no reason to look down on yourself about not deploying, we all serve in various capacities. Look on the bright side during Vietnam they would have been spitting on you, and not thanking you. Be happy where you are, train for tomorrow.

And remember, you are not a ninja.

Comment

Nice 1st post. Epic fail.

Comment

It is October and I should be out of theater by next month!!

Comment

Working...
                                X