Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Why do you really want to deploy? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why do you really want to deploy?

    I see these numerous questions on the forum; many from young people who want to serve in Afghanistan or any other location. So I am curious. What is the real reason you want/wanted to do a long deployment (combat or humanitarian) while serving in the Guard. Especially if you situation is past tense; then please express.

    I say that because so many I know are war-wearied and tired of these repeated deployments. Everybody in my section now has three. The first is always exciting and then after two; the feelings are no longer the same. Maybe it is due to the location and reason.

  • #2
    Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

    Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
    I see these numerous questions on the forum; many from young people who want to serve in Afghanistan or any other location. So I am curious. What is the real reason you want/wanted to do a long deployment (combat or humanitarian) while serving in the Guard. Especially if you situation is past tense; then please express.

    I say that because so many I know are war-wearied and tired of these repeated deployments. Everybody in my section now has three. The first is always exciting and then after two; the feelings are no longer the same. Maybe it is due to the location and reason.
    Well, truth be told, there are many unemployed officers and enlisted. I know for a fact that some of them want to deploy just to have a job.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

      Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      Well, truth be told, there are many unemployed officers and enlisted. I know for a fact that some of them want to deploy just to have a job.
      Thats a real sad sign of the times we are living in. I honestly hope they are not unemployed because they are in the National Guard.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

        Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Well, truth be told, there are many unemployed officers and enlisted. I know for a fact that some of them want to deploy just to have a job.
        1. I think this is generally true.

        2. I was at a suicide debriefing the other day of a unit that just had returned home. I found it incredibly difficult to truly relate to their experiences, though it may not be so much me but them. They may find it difficult to relate their problems and issues to someone who has never experienced the same as they have.

        3. For professional development. If you are trying to make the military a career then having the experience of deployment is vital, if not for anything less than credit among peers.

        Deployment is very difficult, I've spoken with uncounted numbers of soldiers that have come home to an empty house and bank account. I've also observed many suicide debriefings for combat vets. I guess a lot depends on your experiences downrange and what is happening at home while you are there. Personally if given the opportunity I would leave tomorrow to deploy, but seeing how that is not a possibility I will surrender that desire on the altar to the Divine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

          Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
          Thats a real sad sign of the times we are living in. I honestly hope they are not unemployed because they are in the National Guard.
          They are largely unemployed for reasons other than being a member of the Guard. For most employers, if you truly have in-demand or irreplaceable skills, one weekend a month is not going to be a deal breaker.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

            Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            They are largely unemployed for reasons other than being a member of the Guard. For most employers, if you truly have in-demand or irreplaceable skills, one weekend a month is not going to be a deal breaker.
            You should have seen my boss's face this week when I told him the dates for AT.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

              "Join the Army they said. See the world they said. I'd rather be sailing."

              Name that PC game.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                "Join the Army they said. See the world they said. I'd rather be sailing."

                Name that PC game.
                World of Warcraft

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                  Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  What is the real reason you want/wanted to do a long deployment (combat or humanitarian) while serving in the Guard.
                  I volunteered for this deployment to assist my Borthers (serve the Soldier).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                    Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    World of Warcraft
                    Close. Warcraft 2 (1995). Unless it was repeated somewhere in WoW. I wouldn't know.


                    Anyway....I for one, never wanted to deploy. Part of it is, being trained and prepared for danger, but hoping you never have to use it. And the other part would be the hardships upon my family.
                    Last edited by SteveLord; July 1st, 2012, 04:04 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                      I've said it before. Initially I joined and wanted to deploy based on the fact so many had sacrificed , and I had not yet done squat! I still remember reading the news story and a Taliban leader warning Americans not to come to 'Ghan, that the dogs of war had tasted American blood and they liked it. That may have worked in scaring others, but it set my blood boiling. I joined to fight, to serve and to do my part, plain and simple.
                      Now, that being said the toll it took on my family, my kids, my wife...we realized it was a sacrifice we all make.

                      Would I do it again, Yes. Do I have the same drive, fire determination as I did when I was a "young " paratrooper ready to jump out that door stare death in the face and **** any commie lovin , jihad livin sob that dared to look sideways at my flag , my brothers , or our way of life....?? No, LOL, not the same determination , but determination and motivation all the same.

                      " Here I am, Send me"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                        Originally posted by inquiring View Post
                        I've said it before. Initially I joined and wanted to deploy based on the fact so many had sacrificed , and I had not yet done squat! I still remember reading the news story and a Taliban leader warning Americans not to come to 'Ghan, that the dogs of war had tasted American blood and they liked it. That may have worked in scaring others, but it set my blood boiling. I joined to fight, to serve and to do my part, plain and simple.
                        Now, that being said the toll it took on my family, my kids, my wife...we realized it was a sacrifice we all make.

                        Would I do it again, Yes. Do I have the same drive, fire determination as I did when I was a "young " paratrooper ready to jump out that door stare death in the face and **** any commie lovin , jihad livin sob that dared to look sideways at my flag , my brothers , or our way of life....?? No, LOL, not the same determination , but determination and motivation all the same.

                        " Here I am, Send me"
                        Now you have zeal and knowledge, which are a powerful combination. I hope you find what you are looking for.

                        It was General Marshall who said, "The Soldier’s heart, the Soldier’s spirit, the Soldier’s soul are everything. Unless the Soldier’s soul sustains him he cannot be relied upon and will fail himself, and his commander, and his country in the end.”
                        Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                          Originally posted by inquiring View Post
                          I've said it before. Initially I joined and wanted to deploy based on the fact so many had sacrificed , and I had not yet done squat! I still remember reading the news story and a Taliban leader warning Americans not to come to 'Ghan, that the dogs of war had tasted American blood and they liked it. That may have worked in scaring others, but it set my blood boiling. I joined to fight, to serve and to do my part, plain and simple.
                          Now, that being said the toll it took on my family, my kids, my wife...we realized it was a sacrifice we all make.

                          Would I do it again, Yes. Do I have the same drive, fire determination as I did when I was a "young " paratrooper ready to jump out that door stare death in the face and **** any commie lovin , jihad livin sob that dared to look sideways at my flag , my brothers , or our way of life....?? No, LOL, not the same determination , but determination and motivation all the same.

                          " Here I am, Send me"
                          You are active duty as I. I was posing the question to Guard members whose units are not deploying but are seeking ways to get a deployment. I am Afghanistan my second time around and many people who are on their second or third tour; their opinion has greatly changed since their first deployment.

                          When I left the Guard in 2003 and came to AD and deployed; I had the same ideas of getting some. Now, the financial incentive is no longer important or for career progression. We simply do because we are ordered to and its now about rolling the dice on assignments.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                            Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                            You should have seen my boss's face this week when I told him the dates for AT.
                            I second this. Regardless of skills, when you need to request off multiple Friday's for MUTA-6s, a 3-week XCTC, and a week-long phase one ALC all in ONE calendar year, the employer tends to get a bit frustrated, and rightly so.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Why do you really want to deploy?

                              I think a lot of my friends in my unit, who extended overseas, or who are still looking to deploy, do it because of the "identity crisis" that comes with coming back home and being a civilian again. It took a toll on a lot of the guys at our unit, trying to figure out who "Mr. Smith" and "SGT Smith" were, which parts overlapped and worked, and which ones needed to be kept separate.

                              I think the guys who haven't quite pieced it all together feel the urge to head back overseas and exist as one identity for a while.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X