X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDTS Combative Carbine Skills 1+2

I had the opportunity to train with Chris Fry (MDTS)this past weekend in Barnegat, NJ.

The course was a great eye opener into how the practice of competitive shooting has evolved and become incredibly technical. As someone who consistently qualifies 38-40 on IWQ (M4) and 28-30 (M9), I learned a heck of a lot. I'd recommend taking any rifle/carbine or pistol course by any reputable trainer near you.

A couple of lessons I took away from the course that relate to the way marksmanship is taught in the Army (these points were tested on a competition timer):

Reloading
    The military way to reload is to hold the weapon in the shooting position, drop the expended magazine, and insert another magazine via the bottom of the mag well. The problem of this approach is that it may be fine for one or two emergency reloads, but in an extended firefight, you are using muscular stamina to perform a reload. What you should do is rotate the weapon inwards and brace the stock against your hip. This should provide you a mechanical advantage and result in very little fatigue. The difference between both reloading positions was completely insignificant on the timer. The advantage of the mechanical method is that your eyes are always up and able to scan your sector. If you use the military method, you will eventually tire and drop your weapon resulting in eyes down and being unable to observe your sector and reload simultaneously.

Cover/Concealment
    Very few people in the military truly understand the fundamentals of utilizing and shooting from barricades. How many times have you seen soldiers do a lane, run, and basically hug the wall that they are using for cover? Most don't understand that a straight line to right behind the cover may not actually be the fastest path to cover. By being so close to your cover, you actually limit your ability to peek around corners and transition from your strong arm to support arm shooting to get around corners that are not geared towards left/right hand dominance.

Malfunctions
    We drilled malfunction after malfunction. This is a routinely overlooked aspect of training.
    The SPORTS method for clearing the M4 is fundamentally flawed in that O (observe) cannot be performed at night. Also, if you have a failure to eject or the tip of your brass is caught by the lugs in the middle of ejecting, SPORTS will actually cause that expended brass to drop back into the chamber.
    Soldiers should be able to quickly diagnose the malfunction based on tactical and auditory symptoms. Here's what I recommend:
    -If your trigger clicks, but weapon does not fire, re-charge the weapon.
    -If you have a mushy trigger and weapon does not fire, RIP! the magazine out of the magazine well (a casing will probably drop out instantly) and perform a reload. If this fails to drop a casing out, give the weapon a little shake and it should drop out.
    2 of the worst malfunctions I encountered:
    -casing gets stuck in upper charging handle channel: lock charging handle back or pull back as far as possible. Shake weapon and it will eventually drop out.
    -bolt carrier seized/failure to extract: The Army teaches to take a kneeling position and strike the stock against the ground. The problem with this approach is that it sacrifices a significant amount of mobility and has a high risk of bending your receiver tube. The preferred approaching is to bring the weapon to a high point and strike it against your inside of your thigh while on the move. Yes, you may be bruised, but you may possibly be alive after a firefight.

Reflexive Firing
    Most soldiers don't truly understand height over bore and don't know how to compensate at sub-25m ranges where you may need to make a crucial central nervous system shot. The difference of 2 inches for a head-shot makes a huge difference.
    Most soldiers don't know their limits in delivering controlled pairs, triples, etc. You will never have the time to truly see your speed vs. accuracy on a military range.
    Another common mistake that I observed is a shooter's ability to predict the speed at which they can make pelvin shots compared to torso shots. It's actually a lot slower than most had imagined if you're delivery a "standard low" (2 between torso and collarbone + 2 in pelvis).

Military Shooting Positions
    You're all probably familiar with the military prone. Its not ideal. The most accurate prone position is where your body is COMPLETELY flat on the ground and your feet are flat against the group pointing in opposite directions. You want to get as low as you can. The only caveat to this is that if you wear a plate carrier like me, you can only get so low. Regardless, the idea is to place as MUCH mass behind the bore of the weapon as possible. If you have your shoulder raised and body slight canted as instructed in the Army's prone position, maximum precision is not as easy to achieve because less of your mass is actually behind the bore. Using the "Olympic prone", I was able to consistently achieve 1/4"-1/2" 5 shot groupings at 25 yards with just my iron sights.

Also, by having the facility to actually be able to put your ability to its limit, you can test how well your kit (LBV/IBA, etc) actually works for you. Personally, I run a Tactical Tailor Releasable Plate Carrier.
    Last edited by Polo08816; June 13th, 2012, 06:08 PM.

Re: MDTS Combative Carbine Skills 1+2

Great information! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Re: MDTS Combative Carbine Skills 1+2

Thanks for the information! It's appreciated, as there is a Rifle Marksmanship Competition coming up 16-19 AUG for myself and some guys in my unit. I'll have to spend some time on the range and try out some of this!

Comment

Working...
      X