Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems attending college, advice appreciated.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems attending college, advice appreciated.

Hi everyone, I thought I'd look for some advice about the situation I've found myself in. I was prior service (active duty Navy) and joined the Guard 3 years ago so I could pursue college full time and also there weren't any Naval Reserve openings close to where I'd be attending college. I've had problems getting my training in because I'm told Guard Bureau doesn't have the allocations so I'm still a 3-level. My AFSC doesn't even do any contingency training until 5-level. Every time there is any sort of exercise (ORI, ORE, unit exercises, air shows, etc) I am told I have to attend for the full week. Unfortunately any time I'm called in I'm left making coffee, doing menial tasks, and simple secretarial tasks (collating and stapling, putting together folders). Between all these events and initial tech school I've only been able to attend college 3 of the 6 semesters so far. I received an email earlier today telling me to clear my schedule for 4 different weeks from now through next May but 3 of those weeks fall in the Spring 2013 semester. The school has been understanding but the dean has told me that anything greater than 2 weeks of absence from attendance mandatory classes is too much. It's frustrating that I'm not able to get my schooling accomplished because I keep being told I have to attend these "required' events and on top of it all I don't even actively participate in any of it because I don't have the training. Anyone have some advice on how I should handle this?

Re: Problems attending college, advice appreciated.

This post confused me, and after re-reading it a couple of times I am getting the picture that you are in the Air National Guard. Unfortunately, although the website name is a tad disengenuous, this forum primarily addresses Army National Guard issues. (Administrators please ring in on why that is the case). We have a strong Air National Guard presence locally, and I am often envious of what I thought was a remarkable flexability to their service requirements. For instance, the local Wing doesn't have an Annual Training like most of us Army Guardsmen are familiar with, they schedule AT days around the year at their leisure. My first stop would be my chain of command to explain the significance of your collegiate education. I know I am personally very reasonable with most of my soldiers regarding outside conflicts. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TSgt View Post
      Hi everyone, I thought I'd look for some advice about the situation I've found myself in. I was prior service (active duty Navy) and joined the Guard 3 years ago so I could pursue college full time and also there weren't any Naval Reserve openings close to where I'd be attending college. I've had problems getting my training in because I'm told Guard Bureau doesn't have the allocations so I'm still a 3-level. My AFSC doesn't even do any contingency training until 5-level. Every time there is any sort of exercise (ORI, ORE, unit exercises, air shows, etc) I am told I have to attend for the full week. Unfortunately any time I'm called in I'm left making coffee, doing menial tasks, and simple secretarial tasks (collating and stapling, putting together folders). Between all these events and initial tech school I've only been able to attend college 3 of the 6 semesters so far. I received an email earlier today telling me to clear my schedule for 4 different weeks from now through next May but 3 of those weeks fall in the Spring 2013 semester. The school has been understanding but the dean has told me that anything greater than 2 weeks of absence from attendance mandatory classes is too much. It's frustrating that I'm not able to get my schooling accomplished because I keep being told I have to attend these "required' events and on top of it all I don't even actively participate in any of it because I don't have the training. Anyone have some advice on how I should handle this?
      Which state are you in? Person to speak to is your UTM he's the one who manages training and ensures you are guided according to your AFI's CFETPs. If you're not Level 5 yet, and an E5, you need to check what you need to get to level 5. That is purely for your career progression.

Your UTM is also the one to speak to concerning these "required weeks" and he/she is the person to speak to in order to work things out for you to attend school and clear things up.

EDIT:
      Also check if your unit will send you to college as it is. I know 2T3X2s and 1N3X1s/1N3X3s can be sent through full college rides if their degree programs are directly related to their AFSC, and college classes put in place of UGT coursework for their 5 levels. Another thing that could possibly solve your dilemna, if your AFSC is related to your degree program, look into your unit itself just throwing you in college classes.
      Last edited by FutureEngineer; May 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        This post confused me, and after re-reading it a couple of times I am getting the picture that you are in the Air National Guard. Unfortunately, although the website name is a tad disengenuous, this forum primarily addresses Army National Guard issues. (Administrators please ring in on why that is the case). We have a strong Air National Guard presence locally, and I am often envious of what I thought was a remarkable flexability to their service requirements. For instance, the local Wing doesn't have an Annual Training like most of us Army Guardsmen are familiar with, they schedule AT days around the year at their leisure. My first stop would be my chain of command to explain the significance of your collegiate education. I know I am personally very reasonable with most of my soldiers regarding outside conflicts. Good luck!
        My exact thoughts

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
        Which state are you in? Person to speak to is your UTM he's the one who manages training and ensures you are guided according to your AFI's CFETPs. If you're not Level 5 yet, and an E5, you need to check what you need to get to level 5. That is purely for your career progression.

Your UTM is also the one to speak to concerning these "required weeks" and he/she is the person to speak to in order to work things out for you to attend school and clear things up.
        Very honorable to help the airman out with your extensive Air Force National Guard experience.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          My exact thoughts

Very honorable to help the airman out with your extensive Air Force National Guard experience.
          Nada, not my experience, I asked several Airmen, this is the answer they gave.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
            Nada, not my experience, I asked several Airmen, this is the answer they gave.
            Several Airmen, several... Okay, I finally have to ask. Where do you hang out???

Comment

Yeah, sorry my mistake. I'm in the Wyoming Air Guard. I do coordinate my training with my UTM, but these "required" weeks I'm being told to come in aren't training related at all, they're requested from my shop supervisor. I'll talk to my UTM and commander. I was just looking for some advice before approaching them. It's basically all an issue with my supervisor.

Comment

Working...
              X