X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never say never.

I first enlisted in the Indiana National Guard on October 29th, 2009. I was 17, wanted to be in the military my entire life. I watched my cousins all go while i was growing up and it just made my aspiration for the miliary grow. 2 months before i was to ship out to basic i broke my knee (The back of my knee cap off to be exact), discharged as a result. Doctor told me i would have a permanent limp for the rest of my life, and that i would never be able to run again. He straight up told me in exact words to "Forget about the military and find a desk job". Thats not for me. I took his word as a challenge. As soon as i could limp around again i made myself walk, and when i could walk i made myself run, and when i could run, i made myself sprint. Now i'm 100% released by my doctor with no restrictions and i'm getting ready to re-enlist in the Guard next week. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. I put myself through the worst pain i've ever felt in my life to be back at the point i am today. The military makes me feel like i belong. Working 9 to 5 everyday isn't enough for me. If you want something, you can have it. You set your own barriers in life. You can have whatever you want, reach out and take it, its yours.

-Tyler Singleton

Re: Never say never.

Great post Tyler, and congrats on getting back in shape. Sounds like your hard work is really paying off. Only good things to come!

What MOS are you going for?

Comment

Are you through MEPS?

Comment

91F Small arms and artillery repair. I'm through the medical part of MEPS. I did my physical and everything else at a place come Home Town Physical that they sent me too. I just have to go back up to my MEPS tuesday to do my contract and swear in. I've been medically cleared by the doc at home town physical. But if the doc at meps doesn't agree with what the other doc had documented then i'll have to get a waiver from the state. But i've been told i'm good to go medically.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is truly inspirational to see someone who will not let people tell him he can't do something!

Comment

I did it. I re-enlisted thursday as a 13B Cannon Crewmember. (no slots open for 91F) Feels good to be back!
            Last edited by TheTylerSingleton; May 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by TheTylerSingleton View Post
              I did it. I re-enlisted thursday as a 13B Cannon Crewmember. (no slots open for 91F) Feels good to be back!
              13 Series, nice!

Glad to have somebody with that kind of motivation and heart representing the redlegs.

BOOM, ARTILLERY!!!

Comment

Congrats Tyler and thanks for the inspirational post. You illustrate the Warrior Ethos and you'll make a fine Soldier - HOOAH!

Comment

I first enlisted in the Indiana National Guard on October 29th, 2009. I was 17, wanted to be in the military my entire life. I watched my cousins all go while i was growing up and it just made my aspiration for the miliary grow. 2 months before i was to ship out to basic i broke my knee (The back of my knee cap off to be exact), discharged as a result. Doctor told me i would have a permanent limp for the rest of my life, and that i would never be able to run again. He straight up told me in exact words to "Forget about the military and find a desk job". Thats not for me. I took his word as a challenge. As soon as i could limp around again i made myself walk, and when i could walk i made myself run, and when i could run, i made myself sprint. Now i'm 100% released by my doctor with no restrictions and i'm getting ready to re-enlist in the Guard next week. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. I put myself through the worst pain i've ever felt in my life to be back at the point i am today. The military makes me feel like i belong. Working 9 to 5 everyday isn't enough for me. If you want something, you can have it. You set your own barriers in life. You can have whatever you want, reach out and take it, its yours.

-Tyler Singleton
                  If I may ask how did you orginally hurt yourself?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm really proud of all i have overcome to get back. I was running on a gravel road near where i live. it has a lot of holes in it and is in pretty rough shape. I stepped right on the front of a deep hole and my heel fell down in the back part of it. It made my knee hyperextend backwards and it just split the back of my knee cap. I remember hearing three loud pops, hitting the ground, and then i passed out. It was very painful.

Comment

Great story. Hooah!

Comment

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. I put myself through the worst pain i've ever felt in my life to be back at the point i am today. If you want something, you can have it. You set your own barriers in life. You can have whatever you want, reach out and take it, its yours.
                        Tyler, along with everyone else I applaud your determination and inner resolve!! Really fantastic. I do want to point out however, if you had gotten an infection in our knee (for example) and it was am****ted from the knee down...all the determination in the world wouldn't have changed the outcome. I don't say that to be a downer or a naysayer. I say it because there will be people who read this forum that have an injury or illness that it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to recover from and all the can do attitude it the world won't change their situation. Good news is, you were fortunate that it WAS correctable (albiet with HARD work)! Congratutions! We are happy to be getting you into our ranks and family.

Comment

Welcome to the Guard Family, Tyler! You are a prime example of what it takes to be a true Guard Warrior! HOOAH

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            Tyler, along with everyone else I applaud your determination and inner resolve!! Really fantastic. I do want to point out however, if you had gotten an infection in our knee (for example) and it was am****ted from the knee down...all the determination in the world wouldn't have changed the outcome. I don't say that to be a downer or a naysayer. I say it because there will be people who read this forum that have an injury or illness that it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to recover from and all the can do attitude it the world won't change their situation. Good news is, you were fortunate that it WAS correctable (albiet with HARD work)! Congratutions! We are happy to be getting you into our ranks and family.
                            I understand what you mean. I should have worded it more along the lines of me knowing my own personal limits and what i'm capable of. I never believed for a second that at 18 years old i'd never be able to run again. The doc said "I've never seen a knee break like that, i have no clue how it will heal. Odds are it never will" I just tried to keep it in my mind that if he never had seen a knee break like mine did then his opinion of saying it wouldn't heal was not valid to me. I went to every physical therapy appointment, did double the amount of my home excercises for therapy, and just never stopped moving accept when it hurt too much or i was sleeping. I recently just went back to my doctor to shake his hand and thank him for helping me. Once i told him that I was accepted and had re-enlisted he said "Well i'm glad i was wrong".

Comment

I'll second the comments of my fellow 13A...welcome to the Field Artillery! Glad to have someone like you in the Guard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X