Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification about deployment and duration period

Hello!

I am 31, active female, just finished engineering school. I know I am older, yet I am interested in helping out in more of a local manner via the Guard. I understand there is a likelihood of getting deployed, but how likely is it? As I grow older, I value the opportunity to help my country domestically, although I would like to continue my career and start a family here (my fiancÚ is not keen on me getting deployed/ his reason for not "letting" me join). Can you clarify what the Guard requires regarding domestic and foreign duty? I do believe my fiancÚ and I would have to both support the decision to join the Guard so I would like to get this straight.

From what I understand, when you join the Guard you take an aptitude test and physical test to see if you can join. If accepted you take basic training within the first year, which lasts 10 weeks. From there, you train one weekend per month, with a two week training per year. Your job cannot fire you for taking this time off of work and travel expenses to these locations are free. Time length of duties can be chosen by the individual, or are they all 8 year contracts? I think I remember the website saying 8 years of active duty is required (I need to study what "active duty" technically means).

When I was younger, I was not as interested in the Guard and I considered it for money. Now, I don't care about the money, I just want to help people and be part of something bigger than myself. From what I understand, that is what the Guard offers (in one aspect of all that it offers).

Thanks for your time!

Re: Clarification about deployment and duration period

Originally posted by Ape81 View Post
    Hello!

I am 31, active female, just finished engineering school. I know I am older, yet I am interested in helping out in more of a local manner via the Guard. I understand there is a likelihood of getting deployed, but how likely is it? As I grow older, I value the opportunity to help my country domestically, although I would like to continue my career and start a family here (my fiancÚ is not keen on me getting deployed/ his reason for not "letting" me join). Can you clarify what the Guard requires regarding domestic and foreign duty? I do believe my fiancÚ and I would have to both support the decision to join the Guard so I would like to get this straight.

From what I understand, when you join the Guard you take an aptitude test and physical test to see if you can join. If accepted you take basic training within the first year, which lasts 10 weeks. From there, you train one weekend per month, with a two week training per year. Your job cannot fire you for taking this time off of work and travel expenses to these locations are free. Time length of duties can be chosen by the individual, or are they all 8 year contracts? I think I remember the website saying 8 years of active duty is required (I need to study what "active duty" technically means).

When I was younger, I was not as interested in the Guard and I considered it for money. Now, I don't care about the money, I just want to help people and be part of something bigger than myself. From what I understand, that is what the Guard offers (in one aspect of all that it offers).

Thanks for your time!
    Hey!

First step is to meet a recruiter. They have all the information you need. You have to start the basic paperwork first. Then you go off to MEPS (Military Enlistment Processing Station) and there you will do the rest. You will take a test (ASVAB) and depending on how you score will also tell you what jobs you qualify for. Then you will start with all your medical/physical screening. After that (if you pass everything) you may enlist.

Yes, its basically an 8 year contract. If my mind is right, contracts are 3x5, 4x6 and 6x2. Something like that. I'm on a 6x2 contract. Once you enlist, you attend Basic Combat Training (BCT). That will last about 9 weeks. After that, you will attend more training depending on your MOS (job). I am a 11Bravo (infantry) so overall, I'm attending 9 weeks of BCT then right after 5 weeks of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) in Infantry. Once that is finished, you will attend Drill, one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer for the rest of your contract. With me, 6x2 contract, I'll do this for 6 years and then I'll have 2 years of Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). IRR basically means you're still in the National Guard but not required to drill but they may still call you up for active duty if something crazy happens.

Chances of deployment are not likely, but the possibility is still there. Its how it is with every branch.

Yes, your job MUST allow you to perform your duties and CANNOT fire you for this. It is against the law and they should know that. Whether your leave is paid or unpaid is up to them. Travel expenses to BCT/AIT are covered by the National Guard. It is your responsibility to get to drill every month and should be within driving distance of your home.

I hope I answered most of your questions.

YANG

Comment

Couple of things to consider...

If you (and the soon to be Mr) are not keen on deploying, you can still serve your local community via State Guard (State Defense Force). This is a completely voluntary (ie - not paid) program in which their members assist in State emergencies and training. These folks do not deploy outside their state. They gain valuable training in terms of FEMA and emergency training... and it helps pad a resume.

About deploying (politics and economy aside), you will be going at some point in your career. It's nature of the beast we serve. There are ways *around* it, but your career will suffer and you'll get a negative "shammer" reputation... which will not help you in the least.

You are protected by law when it comes to your job and training. Many employers gladly honor it and there are no problems. There are the select few who try to raise a stink and then it's up to the soldier to respond in kind.

With your degree, you have multiple paths to choose (enlisted versus officer). Both of which have advantages and disadvantages. I suggest you look up both and see what will best fit you.

Comment

A female named Ape. Funny.

Call or walk to your nearest recruiting office for details.

Everyone who joins the military incurs an 8 year service obligation. You can do all that 8 years part-time and or some join active duty first for 4 years and switch to the Guard or Reserves. Some just serve on active or reserve and then go into the IRR (non-drilling status) until they complete their 8 years of obligation. I am still serving and passed my 8 years of obligation a very long time ago lol.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 9th, 2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Everyone,

Thank you for all of your advice, it was all really helpful. I will contact a local recruiter. If deployment continues to be an issue I will definitely look into State Guard. That might be a good alternative in that case.

Thank you for your service. Your work and dedication is much respected!

Anna (not Ape, ha ha. I didn't think people would see my user name.)

Comment

Go air guard or become a police officer or firefighter. Part of the soldiers creed states " I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close quarter combat". I was sent on deployment two weeks out of AIT. So my views and that of a person who's somehow avoided deployment despite 10 plus years of war are different. I've helped domestically with hurricane relief efforts also. It's nice to do those things. It gives you the warm and fuzzies. But this type of domestic duty is not the norm. All soldiers should be willing to deploy overseas and fight for the country they've sworn to defend. When you sign up, you're giving up your right to convenience for however long you serve. I am not trying to be rude. I'm giving you my personal experience and opinion. And based on the two I believe you'd enjoy the air national guard more. My uncle recently retired after 20 years on their side and trips to Hawaii and Germany were the extent of his travels aside from initial training.

Comment

If you are not willing to deploy...do not join any branch of the military...it is the sole reason we exist.

Comment

Working...
              X