X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring to Active Duty

I wanted to get it straight from actual soldiers. Since I always get different things about how hard or how easy it is to switch a little big of background about me im 17 and a junior in highschool I recently joined the Nj guard but I joined because im still in school and wanted to get some rank before I graduated but I want to switch to active duty when Im done my recruiter said they would easily discharge me when I get done AIT but I just dont know

Re: Transferring to Active Duty

It is not an easy thing to switch services while still in contract with the National Guard. This topic has been discussed numerous times in the past months. Since the military is drawing down and active duty numbers are subsiding; this will hinder transfers between components. You will have to check the business rules at the time when it comes to transfer guidelines. Another thing is that your unit has to be willing to release you to transfer.

The best thing to ensure active service is to wait to you 18 to join active or wait to your NG contract expires. Again, I switched to AD from NG in 2003 but that was a time when a demand was required for AD to increase its numbers. I been on AD (2nd time) ever since.

Comment

Yea, it's not that easy. Once you finish AIT, you'll have to get a conditional release (ie - a DD386) from your command. It's up to them to approve it but I can tell you, if you are in a critical MOS or took any sort of bonus, etc for your MOS, you will not be transferring over.

Once you have the DD386 in hand, you can work with an AD Recruiter about getting in. Again, it's needs of the Army at that point and they may/may not take you. I'd check with them before you start the process to see what's needed and/or available.

Comment

Well my mos is 35n and I go to my first drill this weekend and my basic this summer and I've already been to Meps

Comment

Working...
        X