X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG to active duty questions.

Hi. I just enlisted. I ship out to BCT April 16th. I know this may be a bit premature, but I have been recently speculating on the prospect of re-enlisting as active duty further down the line, maybe after I finish college. My question is do I have to fulfill my full 6 year contract with the guard before switching? If not, what are the rules on switching branches? I was thinking of maybe going Marine Corps, but my uncle (who is a marine recruiter) told me the odds of goin from army to marines are slim, even with my specialty of 35M (HUMINT collector). I understand I would have to go back to BCT all over again for the Marines, but I believe I'd be up for the challenge. Anyway at this point it's all speculation. But any light that could be shed on the subject would be more than welcome. Thanks for your time!

Re: NG to active duty questions.

Moved thread. And see this sticky.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...d-to-read-this

Comment

Originally posted by DDKrobinHUD View Post
      Hi. I just enlisted. I ship out to BCT April 16th. I know this may be a bit premature, but I have been recently speculating on the prospect of re-enlisting as active duty further down the line, maybe after I finish college. My question is do I have to fulfill my full 6 year contract with the guard before switching? If not, what are the rules on switching branches? I was thinking of maybe going Marine Corps, but my uncle (who is a marine recruiter) told me the odds of goin from army to marines are slim, even with my specialty of 35M (HUMINT collector). I understand I would have to go back to BCT all over again for the Marines, but I believe I'd be up for the challenge. Anyway at this point it's all speculation. But any light that could be shed on the subject would be more than welcome. Thanks for your time!
      Just remember to accomplish your goals; it is about timing and current PS rules. I went from the Army Reserves to Marine Active before my AR contract was up. Also, I went from NG to Army Active before the current contract was up. All was done with a DD368. Yes, I completed Army 12B OSUT training at Fort LeonardWood and Marine Corps Boot at Parris Island. Not a smart thing to do! lol ;p You will slow down my promotion track. I remember seeing a fellow Soldier who I went to basic with (20 years later) who was a Major and I was an E5. Today, he is a full-bird and I am a Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        Just remember to accomplish your goals; it is about timing and current PS rules. I went from the Army Reserves to Marine Active before my AR contract was up. Also, I went from NG to Army Active before the current contract was up. All was done with a DD368. Yes, I completed Army 12B OSUT training at Fort LeonardWood and Marine Corps Boot at Parris Island. Not a smart thing to do! lol ;p You will slow down my promotion track. I remember seeing a fellow Soldier who I went to basic with (20 years later) who was a Major and I was an E5. Today, he is a full-bird and I am a Chief.
        Was he a 09S when you went to BCT with him? If so, I would like to know what he did (... or did not do) to be a MAJ at 20 years TIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          Was he a 09S when you went to BCT with him? If so, I would like to know what he did (... or did not do) to be a MAJ at 20 years TIS.
          We both were at 12B OSUT and I believe he was in the NY Guard or Reserves back then too. He transferred to AD full-time some years later (I do not know if he went ROTC or OCS), so when I saw him in 2004, he was a promotable Major that got promoted to LTC soon after. So at that time when I saw him, he probably just had 15 years AD time but 20 for pay. I should shoot him an e-mail. I have not seen him since 2005 at our BN Christmas Party at Fort Campbell. I sent him an e-mail last in 2007 when I was selected for WOCS and we corresponded for a few. He was BN CDR then.

Comment

And BTW, he branched Engineer when he came to the dark side. So he has been in the Engineer Corps since day 1. Those were the days (that I miss) that officers wore their branch on the BDUs.

Comment

Originally posted by the link View Post
              6. This policy affects all Days of Service (DOS) Soldiers in pay grades E-1 thru

E-4. Applicants with 179 days or less on Active Duty are considered DOS.

Applicants who never shipped to training and have ZERO days of service may apply

for an exception to policy thru Enlistment Eligibility and Processing Division.

Guidance Counselors (GC) MUST call the Recruiting Operations Center (ROC) for all

DOS/Glossary Non Prior Service reservations.
              Does this mean after BCT (10 weeks), AIT (14 weeks), and DLI (42 weeks) (I.E. well over 179 days) this post wont apply to me? While this link is very helpful, I'm still pretty confused.
              Thanks Kemosabe, thats encouraging, but I still have a few foggy areas. Judging from what I've read that means if I'm switching I'll most likely have to change MOS? That's fairly disappointing, as I wasn't thinking of switching to marine corps until after I had reached 351M Warrant Officer status. I understand that's a big 'if' that depends mostly on my own determination and skill (and probably a lot of fortune and timing), but I was still wondering if a future career in the corps would be an opportunity after that. Also I read something about in the link (and have been told by other people, and also what I think Kemosabe was saying) that going from army to marines drops your rank and pay grade? Is this the case with Warrant Officers as well? If there is somewhere else that has all of this information up-to-date and more in-depth I'll happily shut my mouth. But as is I found the link just sprouted more questions, and I'm incredibly curious about planning out a (hopefully college educated before-hand) future and career with the US military.

P.S.
              I understand this is a lot of VERY long-term speculation. But it is a serious speculation (call it a dream I guess) nonetheless.
              Last edited by DDKrobinHUD; March 30th, 2013, 10:19 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

You can not transfer to the Marine Corps as an Army Warrant. To be a Marine Warrant you must have completed Marine Corps bootcamp, you can not hold a rank above E3 during said bootcamp. If the Marine Corps is your desired end state, then go for it now not later.

Comment

It is damn near impossible for guard soldiers to switch components or branches. I've been fighting for active duty for almost a year, what I've gathered from most recruiters; it's just not gonna happen if you're in the guard. Right now the army is only taking a select few MOSs and they aren't open to retraining, you're either already slotted in that MOS or you can't go. And then even if you are slotted, most national guard units aren't so willing to give up their soldiers. You'd have to be at a pretty overstrength MOS for them to be willing to let you go, but chances are, if your MOS is overstrength in the guard, its probably overstrength Active Duty so they arent gonna need your MOS. It sucks because my recruiter said there would be no problem switching components or branches after 6 months in the unit, but it's just not the case.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the honesty, and the expedient effective answers to my questions. I was kind of drawn to the corps for I guess familial reasons as well as their standards of discipline. But i know ill be just as proud to be an army soldier, and ill wait as long as it takes to go active. It's going to be the rest of my life, so I suppose I'm in no hurry, right? I just have a mighty thirst to serve my country, but I don't mind taking sips for now until I'm most prepared and everything I need to be. Thanks again for your replies, folks. You've all be very helpful. Much obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by GodVortek View Post
                      It is damn near impossible for guard soldiers to switch components or branches. I've been fighting for active duty for almost a year, what I've gathered from most recruiters; it's just not gonna happen if you're in the guard. Right now the army is only taking a select few MOSs and they aren't open to retraining, you're either already slotted in that MOS or you can't go. And then even if you are slotted, most national guard units aren't so willing to give up their soldiers. You'd have to be at a pretty overstrength MOS for them to be willing to let you go, but chances are, if your MOS is overstrength in the guard, its probably overstrength Active Duty so they arent gonna need your MOS. It sucks because my recruiter said there would be no problem switching components or branches after 6 months in the unit, but it's just not the case.
                      +1. With the drawdown and cuts, switching components is very hard to do. If you want to go active or Marines; then you need to do it first than later. At this point, it would be easier to go active first then switch to the Guard later. When I switched from NG to active, it was a very much different time.

Comment

Working...
                      X