X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Guard to Active?

Hi, i just joined national guard forums and this is my first thread on here an i just wanted to start with something basic. I'm looking into joining the national guard while im still in high school. Ive talked to a recruiter about enlisting this summer and doing RSP throughout my junior year and then basic training my junior to senior summer. But my main question is, if i decide to go switch to active duty after i complete all my training and high school, how hard is it?

Re: Switching from Guard to Active?

Originally posted by KCousins18 View Post
    Hi, i just joined national guard forums and this is my first thread on here an i just wanted to start with something basic. I'm looking into joining the national guard while im still in high school. Ive talked to a recruiter about enlisting this summer and doing RSP throughout my junior year and then basic training my junior to senior summer. But my main question is, if i decide to go switch to active duty after i complete all my training and high school, how hard is it?
    This question has been covered 100 times. Long story short...it is hard, very hard and at times impossible.

Comment

If you want active duty, than wait and enlist active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        If you want active duty, than wait and enlist active duty.
        +1. As I stated 1000 times. I was able to switch from the Guard to Active in 2003 (and still I was told it might be denied) but it was a different time where the active component were boosting its ranks. Now, they are reducing their ranks and the NG/Reserves will retain as much as their forces as possible.

In 2013, if you want active; then wait and be patience for it.

Comment

IM trying to transfer from guard to active. i know this subject/question has been discussed numurous times and probably at this point even becoming repetative and annoying, but everyones situation is different.
          here is mine. please someone give their OPINION as to the chance or sucess i will have with my transferring.
          im an E-4 91L, construction equipment repair, in the indiana national guard. i was charged with an OWI misdemeanor back in 2008 before i joined any service. first and only ever time in trouble.
          my national guard recruiter told me to join the guard and then i could transfer active duty when i completed basic and AIT. ive done all that and been in for 2 years now, never tried to go active until now. i have my conditional release form signed off by the active recruiter ready to take into my commander next drill.
          i guess my concern is.. since im already in service is the owi going to pop back up and give me problems when i try to re enlist with active, and will i need to somehow get a waiver for it? or .. since im already in and completed all my training and MOSQ, should it be relatively easier then if i just had an OWI with no service

Comment

Originally posted by hauser28 View Post
            IM trying to transfer from guard to active. i know this subject/question has been discussed numurous times and probably at this point even becoming repetative and annoying, but everyones situation is different.
            here is mine. please someone give their OPINION as to the chance or sucess i will have with my transferring.
            im an E-4 91L, construction equipment repair, in the indiana national guard. i was charged with an OWI misdemeanor back in 2008 before i joined any service. first and only ever time in trouble.
            my national guard recruiter told me to join the guard and then i could transfer active duty when i completed basic and AIT. ive done all that and been in for 2 years now, never tried to go active until now. i have my conditional release form signed off by the active recruiter ready to take into my commander next drill.
            i guess my concern is.. since im already in service is the owi going to pop back up and give me problems when i try to re enlist with active, and will i need to somehow get a waiver for it? or .. since im already in and completed all my training and MOSQ, should it be relatively easier then if i just had an OWI with no service
            When I was in the Marines, I got into an off-duty/off-post incident (trespassing) and when I came into the Guard 7 years later, I needed a waiver for it. Got the waiver approved. When I switched to Army Active six years later, I mentioned it and the AD recruiter thought I needed another waiver for the trespassing. Then he just needed the copy of approval for the Guard wavier that I had for it. I gave it to him and that was it. No new waiver required. So based on my scenario, it should be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by hauser28 View Post
              You still have to meet the background standards of the active duty component to enlist. You are going to be asked about the charges and everything just as you were when you first joined.

Comment

Since this is here, I'll add my situation...

I wanted to go Active Duty, but could not due to not having a GED and needing 15 College credit hours if I did get my GED. After my dad talked to the National Guard recruiter he told him if might could help me. I went and meet and talked with him and told me he could get me into the GED Plus Program, which he did.
                I leave for Cav OSUT in the summer and when I get back I'd like to volunteer for deployment, or go to College. I'm in no real hurry to switch, but I'd like to eventually.

My question is, what is the process? And would be easier to get out, and re-enlist as prior-service on Army AD?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
                  Since this is here, I'll add my situation...

I wanted to go Active Duty, but could not due to not having a GED and needing 15 College credit hours if I did get my GED. After my dad talked to the National Guard recruiter he told him if might could help me. I went and meet and talked with him and told me he could get me into the GED Plus Program, which he did.
                  I leave for Cav OSUT in the summer and when I get back I'd like to volunteer for deployment, or go to College. I'm in no real hurry to switch, but I'd like to eventually.

My question is, what is the process? And would be easier to get out, and re-enlist as prior-service on Army AD?
                  The process has been discussed dozens of times on this forum. Search for dd 368 conditional release.

Comment

Make sure to get all the information and questions you need answered and put a lot of thought in if you really want to be active, you wouldn't want to regret the decision in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X