X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

I was told by a friend that he believed that since I'm in college, the National Guard would wait to send me to Basic until my semester is over, how accurate is that?

Re: College

You need to talk with a recruiter about that. Some people ship in two weeks, some people wait months, it all depends on the situation, the recruiter, and the ship dates available.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornPrincess View Post
      I was told by a friend that he believed that since I'm in college, the National Guard would wait to send me to Basic until my semester is over, how accurate is that?
      You can enlist and say that you will wait to ship to basic until summer. That's exactly what I did originally when I signed my enlistment documents.

Comment

Does that only apply for those enrolled in college? Or do you basically get to choose when you ship more or less? I suppose it might depend on the needs for your specific MOS at the time?

Comment

Well obviously those that are still in highschool they will have to work around school. Also when I enlisted I told my recruiter that I had to take basic over the summer so I imagine he tried to find an MOS that had an open ship date around that time.

Comment

When you enlist you will have the freedom to choose when you ship to a certain extent. You can typically ship as quickly as one month from your enlistment date up to six months out. Ship date availability can vary depending on the MOS.

Best of luck!

Comment

You can ship later than six months out. My original contract, I enlisted in october of 2012 and was scheduled to ship may of 2013.

Comment

You will have the option to chose the time frame in which you attend IET. For example, if you finish this spring semester on May 15th, you can chose a ship date in the late May. I have a Solider who is in college, finishes the semester in mid May and doesn't ship until August. He is choosing to take the fall semester off.

Comment

11B, we were in OIF and OEF around the same times. I was in OEF in 2009-2010 and 2012.

Comment

thank you so much! I think that is what I am going to choose.

Comment

Glad we can help.

Chief, good to hear! I deployed with a aviation unit last deployment. Thought about dropping a WOCS packet, but got a recruiting gig while I was deployed. Can't beat the AGR system.

Comment

Working...
                      X