Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for the opinion of some seasoned soldiers regarding tackiness of eyewear

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the opinion of some seasoned soldiers regarding tackiness of eyewear

Hello,

I'm a soldier in a MP unit in the Ohio Guard. I had my first drill with my actual unit last month, and have my second this coming weekend. Basically, I'm looking to get some new sunglasses for wear in uniform and also in civilian clothes. I've been approved for Oakley's Standard Issue program, and have narrowed it down to a couple choices. Unfortunately, due to my college classes just starting this week and having to pay out of pocket for all of my books (as my GI Bill funding has yet to be paid out,) I don't have the money to order the glasses just yet. I do however have... my eye-pro from BCT that included a tinted lens. Last drill we were out in the sun setting up tents and whatnot in the blaring sun all day and I desperately needed glasses and don't want to make the same mistake this time. So I guess my question is, am I going to look like a total Boot fresh out of training if I wear my tinted eyepro as sunglasses at drill? I've seen a couple people wearing them but I feel like I'll probably get laughed at if I try to wear them. Does anybody actually wear them outside of range use and other events that would warrant eye protection? Or would I be better off just sucking it up and toughing out the sun until I can buy some quality shades?

Also, does anybody have any experience with Oakley glasses? I'm looking into getting the Half-jacket or Flak Jacket frames, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them on.

Thanks in advance.

I wear my eye pro from deployment all the time. Great pair of sun glasses.

Comment

You may wish to choose an item from the APEL.
      http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/
      Last edited by matthew.ritchie; September 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM. Reason: http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

Comment

Don't get too wrapped up in what others thing about you. If you are working outdoors and the suns blazing, wear what you got and don't worry about it!

Comment

I wear my eye-pro that were issued to me in BCT at drill all the time, especially when we are in the field. I only wear them outside of drill if I have yard work that I require eye protection for though. But like the 1SG said, don't worry about what others think of you. Make sure you keep your eyes as healthy as you can. There is no replacing them if they go bad.

Comment

Working...
          X