X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68w to civilian life

Hello, I am a college student wanting to become a 68w in the guard. Since the gi bill sr isn't going to cover all of my expenses, I 'm going to need a civilian job. What interests me about 68w is that I can get an emt-b certification from it so that I can work as an EMT which beats being a cashier at mcdonalds by miles.

My question is is that how easy will it be and has it been for 68ws to get a job as an EMT on the civilian side? Is the experience from AIT often enough?

Thanks

What about jobs in IT as 25 series MOSes in the Army. Or paralegal or mechanic or cook?

Comment

AIT is the same as going to school to learn a skill and you will have to articulate that into experience on your resume.

Comment

Bump for an experienced medic to come around and give a 100% answer.

In my experience and through my contacts I've come to the conclusion: No, your AIT experience alone will not be enough to walk onto EMT service. Experience actually doing a job is still and will always be king. However, it will provide you with a great base to improve your skills while taking civilian classes and it will show a department that you're serious about the job. Of course since you're interested in it you may find a Ambulance driver job, which would be great if you think of it like an internship. Now, I do believe you do take the basic EMT test at Fort Sam and the Army is making strides to better certify soldier for jobs mirrored on the civilian side.

I would like to know more about your plans. College major? Desired job once graduated?

Comment

Reposting for typos - The site still errors when trying to edit or delete.

Bump for an experienced medic to come around and give a 100% answer.

In my experience and through my contacts I've come to the conclusion: No, your AIT experience alone will not be enough to walk onto EMT service. Experience, actually doing a job, is still and will always be king. However, it will provide you with a great base to improve your skills while taking civilian classes and it will show a department that you're serious about the job. Of course, since you're interested in it you may find an ambulance driver job, think of it like an internship. Now, I do believe you do take the basic EMT test at Fort Sam and the Army is making strides to better certify soldiers for jobs mirrored on the civilian side.

I would like to know more about your plans. What year in college? College major? Desired job once graduated?

Comment

Working...
          X