X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a typical weekend drill like?

That's probably not a good or fair question as I'm sure they vary, but seeing how I'm transitioning from 12 years on Active to Guard, I would like to have some idea as to what a drill weekend is like. I am a 13B going into the Kansas Guard. Anyone that can fill me in I would greatly appreciate it. Does the Guard do PT on weekend drill? I'm sure weapons qual is done. These may seem like petty questions, but I like being informed and this is a MAJOR life change for me and my family. Thanks for your help!

It all depends on the unit. If you were AD for a long time, you have to bring it down a notch and two and relax and enjoy the Guard for what it offers. I was a former Marine that re-entered the Guard and have met former Rangers and Army AD that joined the Guard and were talked to because they were so harsh on Soldiers. Yes, there is weapons qual and depending on the unit, you may or may not have organized PT. Good luck.

Comment

You're in for a major culture shock. The Guard and Active Component are two very different organizations; don't expect things to happen the same way in the Guard as they do on Active Duty. Be open minded to the experience and the people, and figure out where you can make a positive impact.

Comment

My only word of advice, is be flexible. Don't go into it expecting something great, or something horrible, just adapt as you go. Every unit is so different that it's impossible to give a good answer to your question. Good luck!

Comment

My only word of advice, is be flexible. Don't go into it expecting something great, or something horrible, just adapt as you go. Every unit is so different that it's impossible to give a good answer to your question. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X