Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transition to the IRR after 'Active First' program?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition to the IRR after 'Active First' program?

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has been answered before (I tried searching) but I enlisted in 2010 in the NJ NG under the Active First Program. Another case of "Should have read the contract more," but I'm currently deployed and set to ETS at the end of the year. When I initially enlisted I was told upon completion of my Active Duty term, I'd be able to go Reserves, Guard, or IRR. As it stands now, I'm looking to go to the IRR and complete the remainder of my contract there.

Is that a possibility or am I obligated to complete my term under the NG?
    Last edited by JF7; April 10th, 2014, 12:08 PM.

Originally posted by JF7 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has been answered before (I tried searching) but I enlisted in 2010 in the NJ NG under the Active First Program. Another case of "Should have read the contract more," but I'm currently deployed and set to ETS at the end of the year. When I initially enlisted I was told upon completion of my Active Duty term, I'd be able to go Reserves, Guard, or IRR. As it stands now, I'm looking to go to the IRR and complete the remainder of my contract there.

Is that a possibility or am I obligated to complete my term under the NG?
    Lets say you are allowed to just ETS....what are your plans after you get out? Please share.

Comment

I plan on heading to school using the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Comment

That is exactly why I asked....you are CRAZY if you don't follow through into the New Jersey Guard. They have the best educational benefit in the country. 100% unlimited tuition waiver at all state schools. Save that GI Bill, transfer it to your kids or whatever.

Comment

That's regardless of school? - I'll have to look into it. I think the GI Bill will expire by the time I have (of age)kids, as I'm 21 (but I see your point). Looks like I'll have to look into it, I was more leaning towards the, not having to worry about any other obligations besides college and work (part time job). So when I ETS towards the end of the year and go Guard, I would be set up with orders to go to my NJ unit?

Comment

Also, with that, I mostly planned on using the Post 9/11 due to the fact you get ~2000$ for BAH in my area, with using the Guard's tuition, do they offer anything like that? Or do they pay strictly 100% tuition and that's it?

Comment

It is with ANY public school for any level of degree program. No, you wouldn't get the BAH...but since you would be drilling you would get a drill check. Further more they don't "pay" anything. It is a tuition waiver written into state law. That means no money changes hands so you never have to worry about availability of funds or the VA taking their sweet time to pay you. The delimitating dates are different if you transfer it to a child, your clock on the GI Bill wouldn't start till your last day of active duty. If you were going to have kids, Im sure you would have them by age 37.

Comment

Edit:::: ANY "NJ" Public School.

Comment

From my understanding of the Active First enlistment program, you don't have the option of going IRR or Reserves. You enlisted with a National Guard Recruiter where you serve your first tour on Active and then are obligated to serve in the National Guard. You should already have an assignment with a Guard unit prior to your ETS as I understand the contract.

Comment

Thanks for all of the information, not exchanging any money would be nice, and I wasn't aware of the extension transferring the GI Bill that's nice to know. I'm going to have to figure out a way to not be 'swamped' with everything. Like I said, I was pretty much banking on that monthly stipend from the Post 9/11 to pay rent/bills. As I understand, for drill I'll be getting ~300 for E5 pay but that obviously barely covers anything. Any suggestions on going to school full time, part time job, and drilling? My original plan was to go to school full time during the day, and work a part time job, maybe 15-30 hours/week (for extra cash) depending on how much school will take from me. (I enlisted at 18 so I'm not too keen on actually how much work goes into college - time wise). This was going to be all while using the GI Bill for that ~2000$/m stipend. NYGuardRecruiter- I assume I'll be finding out my unit and report date while I'm ACAP'ing? I'm very unknowledgeable on the Guard, I assume there would be no reclassing involved if there's a slot for me? How would I go about figuring out if my Guard Unit has an open slot? I'm currently a 15W-UAV Operator. Also, I don't have WLC and won't be going to it prior to ETSing, would that make it a problem going to my unit as an E5?

Comment

+1 to the NYGuardRecruiter. OP, I suggest that you access your enlistment contract in your iPerms at https://iperms.hrc.army.mil/rms/ and re-read your contract. What you are asking to do is what thousands of Regular Army Soldiers do on an annual basis that did not complete 8 years of service. The purpose of active first was to place you in a slot so you can fill once your AD service was over. You will need WLC completed before getting promoted to E-6. Also, with your background, you should do some time in the Guard and then attempt to see if there is an UAV Warrants in your state. That will be a big plus for you.

Comment

Chief - so if I understand correctly, I'll have no problem slotted as an E5 into my Guard unit? (Due to the fact I'm already sort of 'holding' a slot) Yeah if I am going to go the Guard route I will absolutely go warrant in that case. Thanks for all of the help everyone, I definitely have a better understanding of what is going to happen. Final question though, is there anywhere I can check to see the status of the NJ units and what they have? I found some very vague information that the 50th BSTB (in the MI Co) has a UAV platoon but I'm not sure. If not, would I just have to wait until I start ACAPing to get my orders and go from there?

Comment

Working...
                        X