Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having kids while enlisted in the Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having kids while enlisted in the Guard?

Hello! I'm an 18 year old female and I just enlisted in the National Guard in January. I leave for BCT in May and I'm not sure, but I think I'd have to split and do AIT next year because of school (I'll be in my 3rd semester of college after BCT). I enlisted for 6 years and while I don't regret my decision at all, I never really thought about starting a family. By the time I'm out of the Guard, I'll be 27/28 (6 years + the 2 the Military can still contact you if they need you). I want to have kids kind of young (not super young!) so I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't plan having kids anytime soon. I was thinking maybe 22 or 23 which is a few years from now, with still a few more years to serve. If I got pregnant at that time, what would happen? Would I be dishonorably discharged? I'm not using it as an excuse to leave the Military; I just want to start a family a little early. In fact, if all goes well, I think I might even re-enlist. Drill is only one weekend a month, so what would happen? My fiance is not in the military by the way. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Why don't you focus on your training right now and let your future unfold on it's own.
    Last edited by Chris36; March 20th, 2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darasan23 View Post
      Hello! I'm an 18 year old female and I just enlisted in the National Guard in January. I leave for BCT in May and I'm not sure, but I think I'd have to split and do AIT next year because of school (I'll be in my 3rd semester of college after BCT). I enlisted for 6 years and while I don't regret my decision at all, I never really thought about starting a family. By the time I'm out of the Guard, I'll be 27/28 (6 years + the 2 the Military can still contact you if they need you). I want to have kids kind of young (not super young!) so I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't plan having kids anytime soon. I was thinking maybe 22 or 23 which is a few years from now, with still a few more years to serve. If I got pregnant at that time, what would happen? Would I be dishonorably discharged? I'm not using it as an excuse to leave the Military; I just want to start a family a little early. In fact, if all goes well, I think I might even re-enlist. Drill is only one weekend a month, so what would happen? My fiance is not in the military by the way. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thank you!
      You would not be discharged for becoming pregnant or having children. Once you hit a certain point in the pregnancy or if there were complications/medical issues you would most likely be put on temporary profile/limited physical activity. You would continue to drill with your unit like normal, but you would not be deployable while pregnant. If you were to have a child and not married you would be required to have a family care plan completed and approved by the state, otherwise you could be discharged.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; March 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

+1 to the responses already given. Young lady, as a father of teenage daughters, I try to stress the importance of an education and career goals before starting a family. I met my SO, while we were in our mid to late 20s and did not start having children near our mid 30s. I am in my late 40s now and from experience, it is much better to not rush those sort of things. You should give yourself sometime to grow after college. I am still serving because of my kids haha. That is an Army joke.

I dropped out of college when I was 21 to join the Marines but later in life I earned my bachelors and masters but in hindsight, I wished I would have completed those endeavors back then.

I see active duty Soldiers wearing maternity blouses and they are able to serve and have a family. Some opt out to leave the service when they get pregnant for various reasons. Since you will be in the NG, a pregnancy matter should not have any impact on your unit readiness.

Enjoy school and what is yet to come. You are an adult so make adult choices. Good luck.

Comment

I have been given alot of trouble by my chain of command because my wife is due with our first born child during my annual training this year. They did not want to excuse me from the training, I had to really stand firm. I hope you are somewhere else where your CoC actually cares about their soldiers. I have given the national guard 8 years of service, 1 deployment, and have never asked them for anything. I went E1 to E6 in 5 years and have never been flagged for anything. The 2 times Ive need the guard to help me though, ( death of my grandmother at AT, and first born child), the Guard has not been there for me whatsoever. I guess it's to late for you now, but I wouldnt advise even joining right now because of my experiences.

Comment

Working...
          X