Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving in the Guard and working overseas...

I know there were a few posts earlier regarding this topic, but I had a few more questions regarding serving in the Guard and working overseas. Currently, I'm in the Guard and want to have a long and full career. That being said, I'm finishing up school soon (graduate work) and I need to find work to both financially stabilize myself while paying off school loans. I know the Guard has loan repayment options, but that's another topic: I'm looking at jobs, and some of them (especially lucrative ones) are overseas.

I know about the Inactive Guard Reserve, but my questions are to anyone who worked overseas while still in the Guard: did you continue to attend drill while working as an expatriate? If you were classified as Inactive, how hard was it to start up again (especially if you are or were an officer)? Many thanks!

Where overseas? You can serve in the US Army Reserves living in Europe and Korea.

http://www.usfk.mil/usfk/news.658th....ookieSupport=1

http://www.eur.army.mil/g1/content/P...ing/index.html

Comment

Some of the companies a fellow Guardsman have been directing me towards have postings open in the Middle East and Afghanistan (I'm kind of hesitant, but they are lucrative positions...). I have heard about the ability to work in Europe and Korea as a Reservist, but how does that work vis a vis the Guard (especially in regards to branch identification? I'm an Infantry officer, and I don't really want to re-branch)?

Comment

There are Infantry officers in the reserves. You just have to talk to a recruiter about openings. If you go to the Middle East and Afghanistan, then you can look at the IRR/ING. There are other officers on here that can provide details on the other options.

Comment

NG Reg 614-1 seems to be very clear that commissioned officers and warrants in the National Guard are NOT eligible for ING. See page 6 of the attachment.

http://www.ngbpdc.ngb.army.mil/pubs/614/ngr614_1.pdf

Comment

Thanks for brining that to my attention, enceladus. Thanks also for the info concerning the Reserve, Chief Kemosabe. I guess the question now is how a transfer to the Reserve in such circumstances would work (ideally a temporary transfer for the duration of any contract I find: I like the unit I'm with, and would like to come back to it following any overseas work), or if I was able to continue drilling in my home state by traveling home for drill weekends. Has anybody had that experience, and can offer advice on how they handled and balanced that?

Comment

Yes, I forgot. It has been brought up numerous times that officers are not eligible for the ING. You will need to talk to your command about the flexibility of working drills (e.g. SUTA) while you are overseas working. If you can make the drills, while stationed overseas, it should not be an issue whatsover. But from observing contractors downrange, they do not have the flexibility to leave on a monthly basis back stateside. Perhaps, and depending, there may be current policies that have changed the employee guidelines for contract work. For example, I knew contractors that were allowed to take leave every 3 or 6 months and many preferred the latter due to tax perks..

Comment

• realitycheck
                realitycheck commented
                Editing a comment
                A National Guard Soldier CANNOT suta while overseas (ouside of US territory). We must be subject to the UCMJ whenever we are OCONUS (Outside of US territory), and we are not subject in a drilling status. To make this work the SM must be a member of the USAR, in the ING (which is enlisted only), IRR, or just get out.

The National Guard is all about states. Theoretically you could make a deal with your unit to fly back at your own expense quarterly to do drills in a batch, although that's not a likely scenario.

To transfer to the IRR, make a formal request to your commander stating the reasons. How you leave will have a big impact on whether they let you back in.

Comment

I have the similar decision to make - I am a prior service (enlisted), considering ARNG OCS. I do have a substantial student loan, and OCS option comes with an SLRP. However, that will mean a 6 year monthly commitment, and there is a possibility of me working overseas for at least a year (Oil and Gas sector).

From the posts in this thread, it seems that ING/SUTA is not an option for an officers, and if I get commissioned, there is no other option, but to fly for drills every month?

Comment

• realitycheck
                  realitycheck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Officer can SUTA, they just cannot SUTA overseas. You are correct, ING is not an option for officers.
              Working...
              X