X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saluting Question

I have a complex question regarding salutes in the Navy and Army. I enlisted September 25th of this year. Havenít been to OSUT or even my first National Guard Recruit Sustainment Drill. So on paper Iím an E-1 in the ARNG, but thatís about it. My best friend of 23 years just received his commission in the Naval Reserve. Heís a mustang, former E-5 with three years in, and has been fighting tooth and nail against red tape to become an officer. His ceremony to become an ensign is this weekend. He wants me to attend the ceremony and be the first enlisted man who salutes him. This apparently entitles me to a silver dollar and is a valued tradition in the military. I really, really want to do this for my friend, but neither of us are sure (since Iím not truly in the Army yet except on paper and heís in the Navy) whether this will be allowed. The last thing I want to do is disrespect the Army or the Navy by doing this when Iím not supposed to. I donít even know the basics of the regulations regarding salutes, but I donít have a uniform for drill yet and I believe in general saluting without a uniform is a no-go. Does anyone have any input or can quote some regulations to help out?

The day you swear in, you're in the NG. You can salute in civilian clothes. Have someone to help you out with how to salute properly.

Comment

Working...
    X