Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting New Job and Joining the Guard

Hello,

I have been a reader of the Forum for awhile now and am having trouble finding information on a few areas I am 25 years old and just finished a MBA. I have always wanted to join the Army and feel that the National guard would be a good fit for my family and I. I have talked to a recruiter and will be signing up for the O9S enlistment. He says I am a good candidate for federal OCS. As I understand it I would be gone for 10 weeks (BCT) and 14 weeks (OCS) so 24 weeks total. After OCS I would branch and attend more training. A buddy of mine who is O-3 artillery says that I would be looking at ten months if the training is back to back. Today I was offered a new job with the State of Arizona as an Accountant. I am very excited about this job as it pays well, has great benefits, and plenty of room for me to grow. Needless to say I do not want to do anything that might result in me losing this job. Should I wait a year or a few months to sign up for the guard so I can build a good reputation with my new employer before doing my training? I guess the answer also depends on how my new employee will react. I know there are laws that protect my job, etc. I just want to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Consider this..... A State job is going to be far more understanding of military service. That being said, as a new guy, I'm not sure being gone for a year or more is going to help you much in the eyes of your employer. I'd look into State OCS unless you really really really want to go right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mdunphy0732 View Post
      Hello,

I have been a reader of the Forum for awhile now and am having trouble finding information on a few areas I am 25 years old and just finished a MBA. I have always wanted to join the Army and feel that the National guard would be a good fit for my family and I. I have talked to a recruiter and will be signing up for the O9S enlistment. He says I am a good candidate for federal OCS. As I understand it I would be gone for 10 weeks (BCT) and 14 weeks (OCS) so 24 weeks total. After OCS I would branch and attend more training. A buddy of mine who is O-3 artillery says that I would be looking at ten months if the training is back to back. Today I was offered a new job with the State of Arizona as an Accountant. I am very excited about this job as it pays well, has great benefits, and plenty of room for me to grow. Needless to say I do not want to do anything that might result in me losing this job. Should I wait a year or a few months to sign up for the guard so I can build a good reputation with my new employer before doing my training? I guess the answer also depends on how my new employee will react. I know there are laws that protect my job, etc. I just want to know if anyone has had a similar experience.
      How are you absolutely sure you are going to get the Federal OCS?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post

How are you absolutely sure you are going to get the Federal OCS?

+1. I'm in Arizona and in the past they didn't send 09S to Fed OCS. They say you can try, but usually 09S aren't squared away enough. Admittadly things may have changed that I'm not aware of, but I know how it used to be.

This would have been the scenario that I would have thought. 10-11wks BCT, come back and 18 months for OCS (which starts in March of each year). Then within 2 years of commissioning you head off to BOLC for however long your branch class is. A longer course of action, but easier on family and work life in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Consider this..... A State job is going to be far more understanding of military service. That being said, as a new guy, I'm not sure being gone for a year or more is going to help you much in the eyes of your employer. I'd look into State OCS unless you really really really want to go right now.
          +1. I would consider the state OCS route as that will allow you time to develope a good reputation with your new employer, it will likely be your only choice anyway. I'm not an officer but I have heard similar things to what Portree said about AZ not sending 09S to fed or even accelerated OCS. I've been in the AZNG for 10 years BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post

+1. I would consider the state OCS route as that will allow you time to develope a good reputation with your new employer, it will likely be your only choice anyway. I'm not an officer but I have heard similar things to what Portree said about AZ not sending 09S to fed or even accelerated OCS. I've been in the AZNG for 10 years BTW.
            True. Unfortunately, he will still have to go away for 3-6 months for BOLC after OCS. But that's 2-3 years down the road and a lot can change.

Fortunately, I was still doing my undergraduate studies when I completed AOCS and BOLC. If you schedule those far out enough, you can find a slot for the summer which left my semesters relatively unaffected.

Right now, I'm potentially going to run into the same issue as him. I may be slotted for Air Assault, Heavy Weapons Leaders, RTAC, MCCC-RC, and Ranger all in this FY. It's going to have a significant impact on my current job to be gone for that amount of time. Fortunately, the demand for software engineers in this area (APG to NoVA) is so high that as a junior software engineer, I believe the impact on my career over the long term will be small. Also, MD ARNG is a different animal compared to the NJ ARNG. Seeing as how all the company commanders in my BN have completed MCCC and are Ranger tabbed, it seems this is a de facto requirement to have a career here. Also, the Army is drawing down and the resources that are available this FY may not be available the next FY.

Comment

Working...
            X